• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ChatGPT - AI-based chat

This kind of thing is so far from where we are.

More realistically, I work with this stuff and it’s really good at organizing large data sets into topical clusters of related content based on content, showing people more documents like the ones they mark as “good” or answering general questions about very large record sets - “Who knew about the Raptor Project”.

If anyone wants to have a more fruitful and realistic conversation about AI than movie clips, let me know.

And that Worldcoin thing is to be avoided, imho.

I don’t want to live in a world where all the humans do all the manual labor and the computers get to do all the creative stuff.

Jeeeze, what next for AI?

AI has even influenced the Word of the Year!

From CNN-

“Hallucinate” is Dictionary.com’s word of the year — and no, you’re not imagining things.

The online reference site said in an announcement Tuesday that this year’s pick refers to a specific definition of the term pertaining to artificial intelligence: “to produce false information contrary to the intent of the user and present it as if true and factual.” In other words, it’s when chatbots and other AI tools confidently make stuff up.

Grant Barrett, head of lexicography at Dictionary.com, told CNN this particular definition of “hallucinate” was added to the site earlier this year, though its use in computer science dates at least as far back as 1971. As staff at the online dictionary considered contenders for the defining words of 2023, Barrett said it became clear that AI was increasingly changing our lives, working its way into our language as well.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/12/us/d... Dictionary.com's,you're not imagining things.

:laugh

OM

Jeeeze, what next for AI?

AI has even influenced the Word of the Year!

From CNN-

“Hallucinate” is Dictionary.com’s word of the year — and no, you’re not imagining things.

The online reference site said in an announcement Tuesday that this year’s pick refers to a specific definition of the term pertaining to artificial intelligence: “to produce false information contrary to the intent of the user and present it as if true and factual.” In other words, it’s when chatbots and other AI tools confidently make stuff up.

Grant Barrett, head of lexicography at Dictionary.com, told CNN this particular definition of “hallucinate” was added to the site earlier this year, though its use in computer science dates at least as far back as 1971. As staff at the online dictionary considered contenders for the defining words of 2023, Barrett said it became clear that AI was increasingly changing our lives, working its way into our language as well.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/12/us/d...ictionary .com's,you're not imagining things.

:laugh

OM

I show and discuss AI all day long and "hallucination" is a word I hear and use regularly. Prior to a couple years ago, it was rarely mentioned as the tools of the time were not "generative", but more like search tools than anything else.

"Hallucinations" typically occur when a LLM is trained using publicly available, but unvetted docs. Who woulda thunk that training a language model on the internet would be a bad idea? :ha

I did. It reminds me of the old Steve Martin bit about being mean to a kid by teaching them the wrong meaning for words.

I remember when a picture was “worth a thousand words”……..and then came Photoshop. :eek

Not sure what axiom AI will mutate. :laugh

OM

I remember when a picture was “worth a thousand words”……..and then came Photoshop. :eek

Not sure what axiom AI will mutate. :laugh

OM

Some of what I do is related to "data veracity" - is the data what it says it is? I generally deal with business files, but data is data. For example, a person says they texted someone and they provide a screen shot of the data. That image proves nothing unless you have access to its metadata. On what device was this data created? Where was the device when the data was created? When was the data created? Does that align with the represented provenance of the file?

For image files like the ones that AI will generate, unless they're super sophisticated, casual assessment of the metadata associated with a file ought to reveal its origins. It's at the basis of the document management I'm involved with for litigation.

How do you do that? On a Mac, right click on a file and select "Get Info". On a PC, right click on a file and select "Properties". You'll see when the file was created, modified, etc. For photos, you will have EXIF information that includes things like exposure, device and the like. Some photos, particularly those shot on phones or other mobile, cellular devices, may bear location information, as well.

Metadata tells all.

Back