• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chain drive vs shaft or belt drive

lstayner

I have been kicking around the idea of getting an adventure bike for a 2nd bike. The question I have is what type of final drive is best? I haven't had a bike with a chain since the 70's.

What type of maintenance can I expect from a chain and sprocket drive?

I also see that BMW makes or made a belt drive of some bikes. Not sure how that would hold up in the dirt and gravel.

Shaft drive only seems to be available in the bigger bikes.

Pretty sure anything sold as an “adventure” bike will be chain drive. The new generation O-Ring chains are trouble free.
Maintenance- a little cleaning and a little lube, good to go.
OM

I have been kicking around the idea of getting an adventure bike for a 2nd bike. The question I have is what type of final drive is best? I haven't had a bike with a chain since the 70's.

I also see that BMW makes or made a belt drive of some bikes. Not sure how that would hold up in the dirt and gravel.

MotoGuzzi makes a 850cc shaft drive adventure bike.

... maintenance- a little cleaning and a little lube, good to go ... OM

I think i disagree, although it certainly is a matter of opinion. Last time i looked at a new bike's manual it said chain maintenance is required at every 500 or so miles. That frequency is way too much for me. If you are a touring rider, as am I, that translates into EVERY NIGHT being down on your knees in the motel parking lot. Rain or shine. Wet or dry. Clean or muddy. Never again for this rider.

I think i disagree, although it certainly is a matter of opinion. Last time i looked at a new bike's manual it said chain maintenance is required at every 500 or so miles. That frequency is way too much for me. If you are a touring rider, as am I, that translates into EVERY NIGHT being down on your knees in the motel parking lot. Rain or shine. Wet or dry. Clean or muddy. Never again for this rider.

It’s ok.
I only mess with a chain when it looks like it needs it. That means if on the road, thousands of miles or if it looks a little droopy (technical term). Deep water crossings or nasty sand- more frequently.
The other benefit is a complete final drive, 2 sprockets and chain, about $200.00.
I have had shaft drive and chain drive. Not committed to either system as I believe it has to do with what the bike was (primarily) built to do.
OM

BMW offers an optional automatic chain oiler (I believe it is actually the Scott oiler rebranded). This pretty much eliminates the bulk of maintenance.

I would definitely prefer a shaft drive, but I would not want to have to go with a 1000+ CC adventure bike to get it. For me, on balance, the smaller-sized 700-800cc adv bike is preferable, even with a chain drive.

Voni and I have been riding our G310GS chain drive bikes now for a couple of years. Both have a bit over 20,000 miles on the original chains. I do have new chains and am waiting to need to install them. The only timethe chains have been "adjusted" is when putting the wheels back on following a tire change. I try to take care of the chains but am far from religious about it. I don't like heavy oily or wax chain lube. They just attract grit making a home-made equivalent of valve grinding compound. I like to keep the chains clean so use WD40 as a cleaner and then a very light chain lube if any. Cleaning is more frequent in sandy or dusty conditions. Not so much if touring on secondary highways in clean conditions.

I did install center stands on both bikes which makes chain maintenance pretty easy actually.

I'm with Omega Man, the "difficulty" of modern chain care is vastly overstated by the naysayers.

I've owned two shaft drive BMWs and three chain driven ones. Only one of them has left me stranded due to failure and it was not one of the chain drives. I also spent more money fixing that one final drive failure than all the chain replacements and care combined.

Having owned both types of drives on BMWs over the last 20 years and having followed the discussions over the various shaft drive issues over the same period my own conclusion is that I would much rather deal with the minor maintenance and change the chain and sprockets more often than necessary as a small price for the piece of mind that I need not worry about hidden final drive faults ruining a long trip. Give me simplicity any day.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

So, does BMW do a better chain drive than any other manufacturer?

Well, there were some issues with the rear hubs on F800 bikes but beyond that I doubt there’s much difference between BMW and other manufacturers on chain drives. And, a high percentage of chain and sprocket replacements are sourced from vendors other than BMW so once the OEM equipment is used up it’s hard to compare or track chain and sprocket life between marques.

As stated in earlier posts, chain and sprocket durability is more dependent upon proper care and maintenance from the owner than from any other factor.

Best,
DeVern

If you intend to go off road I would avoid belt drive. One renegade pebble and you might be walking. Chain is fine, maintenance is not a killer like some mention. I rode chain drive imports for years and would run trips of 2,000 miles and never touch the chain. Many riders just give the chain a shot of WD40 and call it good.

Shaft would be my preference, but I would be more concerned of the motorcycle in general than if it has chain or shaft drive. Find the model you like and buy it. If you find two models that are close I might lean towards the shaft drive.

I have been thinking of buying a Yamaha WR250R, it has chain drive.

covid 19 isolation is making me as*h**e

"Never get to busy making a living that you forget to make a life."
Never get TOO busy to learn the difference between to, too and two!:)

The OP framed the question as "which is best?" That requires a statement of parameters. "Best" for what? - reliability? ease of maintenance? frequency of maintenance? costs if you buy your maintenance vs doing it yourself? I put a similar question to the service mgr of my dealership and he responded that over time, if you have the dealer do your service, the cost of maintenance for a chain-driven vs shaft-drive BMW are nearly the same.

The OP framed the question as "which is best?" That requires a statement of parameters. "Best" for what? - reliability? ease of maintenance? frequency of maintenance? costs if you buy your maintenance vs doing it yourself? I put a similar question to the service mgr of my dealership and he responded that over time, if you have the dealer do your service, the cost of maintenance for a chain-driven vs shaft-drive BMW are nearly the same.

I think I would prefer to skip interactions with that service manager.... unless there was “free” prime rib dinners with a chain cleaning. :eat :rofl
OM

I was trying to keep it short. The service mgr broke it down into the costs attending final drive major maintenance vs replacement of chains and sprockets over 100K miles. So an important variable in his answer is enough mileage to bring these factors into play equally. And for the record, he's the best BMW tech I've ever dealt with and I've recommended him repeatedly to unanimous satisfaction.

One could always put bags and a skid plate on an $800 Honda CX500 Deluxe and have nearly everything.
Shaft drive, liquid cooling, big tank, comfy seat, tubeless tires, ease of maintenance, reliability ...

Seriously, it’s a shame you can’t buy something like that new anymore!

Back