• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Centramatic Stainless Wheel Balancers

Centramatic Balancers

Has anyone tried these on an RT - or are they even available for the RT?

centramatic-stainless-wheel-balancers

Steve,
I used some of these on the clutch hub and primary engine pulley of one of my Softail Evos built in the 90's. They were pretty much worthless and didn't seem to lower any types of vibration. The engines were ridged mount and shook the bike into pieces if you rode them a lot. We figured HD chromed all the accessory parts so you could find them easily on the roadside.
Dick

Balancers

Has anyone tried these on an RT - or are they even available for the RT?

centramatic-stainless-wheel-balancers

The balancers aren't currently available for any of the BMW. They are available for some of the later model HD's, 1800 Goldwings and Victory. The Goldwing testimonials read with positive results and longer tread life. That would be good. The company hopes to start R&D on some of the BMW's early next year.
The balancers are on the pricey side but, that would be off set through the life of the bike ownership, tire wear and ride smoothness. Plus they would actively balance the tire as it wears. (Unlike lead weights).
Reads like a good idea, we'll just have to wait and see...

Interesting...almost identical devices were sold decades ago for automobiles, and used mercury for the active medium. Since they are touting "lead-free Durametal" as the active medium, I wonder if Durametal=mercury? It would be lead-free.

Sort of falls into the nothing new under the sun category.

IMHO - Same theory as Dynabeads but a whole lot more expensive.

I agree with you Don. However, I have a friend that rides a Hogley Fer-gas-un that decided to try them on his bike. He rode the 2013 IBR with them and reports a great result. I didn't know if there was anything like that available for BMW. I quit mounting and balancing my own tires long ago - though I may start again - and have had some issues with balance from time to time. Bought some of those tire beads but decided they weren't something I wanted to try.

Part of my problem with balance is the TireGard TPMS I have. Tire monkeys simply don't understand that they HAVE to balance the tires with the sensors on the valve stems. The end result is, they balance the tire, put the sensors back on, I ride out the door to find the tires out of balance. I remove the 1/2 ounce sensors - tires back in balance again. My choice is, back to the shop to have the tires balanced again - properly, ride out of balance tires or take the sensors off - None of which are what I want to do.

Use Ride-on (http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html). Not only balances but also can seal a puncture as well. The shop used this when they installed my PR3's almost 4k miles ago, bike still rides as if on glass at all speeds.

I am a believer and will continue using this product.

Scot

Scot,

do you have the TPMS on your RT....if so, any issue with the Ride-On?

and how was it installed in the tire....through the valve stem or poured into the open tire....?

thanks in advance...

wyman

Last edited:
Scot,

do you have the TPMS on your RT....if so, any issue with the Ride-On?

and how was it installed in the tire....through the valve stem or poured into the open tire....?

thanks in advance...

wyman

Hey wyman!

No, I don't have TPMS. I believe the shop installed via the valve stem (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7VLRqX-Sk).

I would check with a BMW shop that you trust to see what they have to say about TPMS. IMO once it is in the tire it should stay clear of the stem and should not interfere.

Just found this: http://www.ride-on.com/tpms

Last edited:
All's Well

:nono
Thanks Dick. Long time no hear from. All's well I presume? Good here.

Steve, We are well and riding in higher elevations until the temps fall a bit. We were in Durango last month and in a week we are heading to Santa Fe for a few days. I hope you are well also. Dick

Hey wyman!

No, I don't have TPMS. I believe the shop installed via the valve stem (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7VLRqX-Sk).

I would check with a BMW shop that you trust to see what they have to say about TPMS. IMO once it is in the tire it should stay clear of the stem and should not interfere.

Just found this: http://www.ride-on.com/tpms
The moisture it gives off in the tire is very likely to destroy any TPMS (which has a sensor open to the interior of the tire to measure the air pressure.) When I swapped tires after using RideOn it always surprised me how wet the entire interior of the tire and rim were. The RideOn itself stayed toward the center of the tread where it was supposed to - but it definitely releases moisture as it heats up.

How well did it work for you though Don? Recommended or no?

I'd only recommend it if you do NOT have the TPMS.. if you do it will be a very expensive lesson not to use it. It did stop a strange invisible leak I had with the original tire that came on my R1200R - a Conti RoadAttack (which are now apparently being recalled..) where it would lose 1-2 PSI a day. Finally found a tiny stream of air - leaking right through the rubber carcass and the tread (absolutely no sign of a hole - just tiny air bubbles when I soaped it up.) RideOn stopped the loss of air. Conti later warrantied the tire.

I might give it a shot. I have the aftermarket TireGard TPMS - as noted earlier in this thread. That's actually part of the issue I want to solve. See post #6 above. Thanks.

Back