• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

CB 750 on ebay

At the time the bike was in use, it had a purpose. It was not considered the rarest of the rare and it was ridden. Things like this develop over time. The price that this thing is going to fetch is a totally artificial inflation of value by the perception of collectors.

Considering it's provenance, that could be a bargain. Look at what run of the mill 60's or early 70's original muscle cars are going for. Bikes got some catching up to do!

Very clever to get that kind of money for a bike he didn't like 'cause he couldn't get the carbs balanced. :D

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when the people that had one and destroyed it find out how much this went for.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when the people that had one and destroyed it find out how much this went for.

Almost all the bikes that were "destroyed" (if they were) would probably fetch maybe 15% of this price here, if they were in good condition. Original 1969 Sandcast 750s may go up to 25K if you are lucky. This bike is not a good example or representative of CB750 values. It is grossly overpriced because of some collectors pushing it there. I can see only a museum or very rich private colelctor paying that much for a bike that you will not ride.

It might not go for what this one went for but the one destroyed, according to the article, was another one of the 4 originals like this one so I'd think it would do more than the '69's that were actual first year and much more numerous than 4 prototypes. Even if it wouldn't it would still be fun to be a fly on the wall when they hear the bike they destroyed was one of the four, like this one.

It might not go for what this one went for but the one destroyed, according to the article, was another one of the 4 originals like this one so I'd think it would do more than the '69's that were actual first year and much more numerous than 4 prototypes. Even if it wouldn't it would still be fun to be a fly on the wall when they hear the bike they destroyed was one of the four, like this one.

If the one that was destroyed had been saved, this one would not have been nearly as valuable.

That is about 100 times what I paid for mine new! I bought a '69 from the Canadian PX in Germany and I think it was about $1400.00.

In 2003, I paid $500 for a '78 with 15k miles on it. Sold it for the same price two years later. They are motorcycles and meant to be ridden, not museum pieces. Sheesh.

Now, if that isn't proof that some people have more money than sense then what in blue blazes is??:banghead:banghead

Really? So you would rather have the $ in the bank than have the Bike? This assumes at the buyer had lots of $ that were just sitting there and had no other need or use for them. I have a 904 mile '75 Honda Scrambler in near perfect condition that will be for sale in the spring. I assume it will fetch a bit more than it's price when new.

Really? So you would rather have the $ in the bank than have the Bike? This assumes at the buyer had lots of $ that were just sitting there and had no other need or use for them. I have a 904 mile '75 Honda Scrambler in near perfect condition that will be for sale in the spring. I assume it will fetch a bit more than it's price when new.

$135,000 and more...you bet. Sounds like you should be able to start the bidding at $50,000 or so on that '75. More if you have a rare sticker on it or "special" baseball card flipping in the spokes...LOL

$135,000 and more...you bet. Sounds like you should be able to start the bidding at $50,000 or so on that '75. More if you have a rare sticker on it or "special" baseball card flipping in the spokes...LOL

Bike sold for $148,000.-. I think at that price it is not an investment. Rather a valuable addition to a nice collection. I can't see this bike bringing much more than that at a resale within the next 10 years.

So, yes, I would rather have my money in something else. Like 10 or 12 excellent condition 1979 Honda CBXes.

Now, if that isn't proof that some people have more money than sense then what in blue blazes is??:banghead:banghead

The winning bidder is apparently smart enough to earn a lot of money or fortunate enough to be born in a family with a lot of money. Either way, $150,000 is probably pocket change to them and it won't be missed. There were apparently 27 different bidders in 102 bids that wanted the bike. They probably bought the bike for the same reason my friend bought an expensive new car he didn't need. When I asked him why he bought it, he simply said "because I wanted it".

So, yes, I would rather have my money in something else. Like 10 or 12 excellent condition 1979 Honda CBXes.

I had a '79 and an '81 CBX. The '79 was just a raw power beast. They tried to make the '81 into a sport tourer. Really, really heavy front end you had to push through corners. After that I had a CX500T!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had a '79 and an '81 CBX. The '79 was just a raw power beast. They tried to make the '81 into a sport tourer. Really, really heavy front end you had to push through corners. After that I had a CX500T!

I still have a 79,80 and 81 CBX and do not regret never having sold them...:thumb

Back