• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Carb question

bluetoaster

I recently bought a 97 F650. I checked the oil and it was over filled. Removed some oil, rode forty miles and oil was again high (took out a lit less than a pint to bring it down to the max level each time). I also refilled the gas tank figuring I might be storing it for a while, it took just under two gallons in 75 miles. Though I'm not a rocket scientist my guess would be gas in the oil. The previous owner had taken it to two different BMW dealerships in the past year to address a "choking out" problem. I would imagine either the enrichment valve is not disengaging or the main jet is stuck open. Any other ideas or has anyone heard of this problem.
Alan Reynolds

Have you checked the Classic FAQ's on f650.com? I seem to remember that the oil level recommended by BMW is a bit more than the ChainGang members recommend. Don't know if that will help your carb problem but you might start there.
Good luck.

If the main jet where stuck open, that would mean that the needle was stuck in the open position. The engine would immediately redline once started in neutral. A pint of gas washed into the oil in 75 miles would be so rich the engine probably would not start and certainly should not run smooth and black smoke should pour from the exhaust. You should be able to smell the gas in heavily fuel fouled oil.

Just under 2 gallons in 75 miles is around 40 miles per gallon. I'm not familiar with the gas mileage of a F650, but is that way out of line?

Ralph Sims

Just under 2 gallons in 75 miles is around 40 miles per gallon. I'm not familiar with the gas mileage of a F650, but is that way out of line?

Ralph Sims

For the "classic" 40 mpg is right in the ballpark. The way to check the oil level is go for a ride and get it HOT then check the level. It is not uncommon to overfill them. F650.com has the detailed procedure for checking the oil in the FAQs.

Back