• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Can't believe I just bought a 16 R1200GS!

plock

Plockster
I'm psyched to be picking up my brand new GS today, and am looking forward to spending some time on this awesome machine. However, just two weeks ago, buying a new bike was the farthest thing from my mind...

I had just completed a fantastic ride through the hills of Western MA, Eastern NY and CT, when about a mile from my house, I heard a terrible grinding noise coming from the bottom of my 2004 R1150rt. My immediate thought was "stripped splines" and felt terrible as I had come to love this bike that I had owned for the last two years. After a couple of days in queue at the local dealership, I got the bad news that I was expecting...stripped clutch splines and drive shaft splines. I was faced with the agonizing decision of whether to plow a ton of money into a 12 year old bike, or to look for something new.. With the support of my wife, plan "b" seemed to make the most sense as I could step up to something new, and gain some comfort in having a bike under warranty for a few years..

I was fully expecting to go right to the new RT (which was very impressive on the test drive), however I decided to drive a GS for the heck of it.. I had never put much thought into the GS line in the past, but thought I may as well try it out while I had the chance. Funny, but I couldn't seem to get the smile off of my face after riding it for the first time.. I picked out a fairly loaded model in "Frozen Dark Blue" :)

I look forward to hanging out on the wet head forum and learning all that I can from everyone!!

Plock

I'm not surprised, it's a great bike. It's the reason I don't go to dealers- would probably come home with one.
Good luck with it.
Gary

Congratulations. The Frozen Blue is a nice color. The GS is such a fun bike to ride. Curious as to how many miles were on you RT.

Congratulations. The Frozen Blue is a nice color. The GS is such a fun bike to ride. Curious as to how many miles were on you RT.

Only 40k on the RT when it failed Steve... I was the third owner, so likely it wasn't lubricated at the appropriate intervals along the way.

Hey Plock,

Congratulations! You're the newest GS rider in New England as of now!

If you're planning ride your GS off road, please let me know so we can ride together.

Only 40k on the RT when it failed Steve... I was the third owner, so likely it wasn't lubricated at the appropriate intervals along the way.

Well, some claim 40K is a good interval for lubing splines. However, my dealer still insists that lubing splines is not necessary, so go figure.

Harry

Back