• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Canadian Wildfire Smoke at 2023 Rally site!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine headed up to the northeast was in North Carolina last evening. He couldn’t believe the smoke.

OM

About time the northeast got a taste of the Pacific Northwest.

Riding through heavy forest fire smoke on a motorcycle is definitely not good for your health.

The last time I was in heavy wildfire smoke I made two trips to the emergency room, stored our bikes for a month, bought a car, and drove home. Now I carry a portable oxygen machine and still want to be indoors. Moteling it this trip.

Not sure on the smoke for the next few days but the weather forecast looks great!

OM

I retired from the BLM and I'm a little familiar with wildfire suppression in the west but events like we see today are just unbelievable to me. The BLM is a federal land management agency that operates primarily in the 11 western states and in Oregon it is similar to the US Forest Service west of the Cascade Mts. Those fires in Canada are just unbelievable.

For wildfire info check out the BIFC (Boise Interagency Fire Center) web sight. I think they might go by BICC (Boise Interagency Co-ordination Center) now.

About time the northeast got a taste of the Pacific Northwest.

Riding through heavy forest fire smoke on a motorcycle is definitely not good for your health.

If I wanted a taste of the Pacific Northwest, I'd move there or ride there. I've done neither, not have any compunction to do so. You can keep your wettest area of the country every year to yourselves. :dunno.

Why would anyone wish the pacific northwests crappy weather on the rest of the country? :D

Should have posted the BIFC address sorry.

https://www.nifc.gov/nicc/admin/contact_us.htm

Crappy northwest weather? Lol..Lol.. You should tell that to the Californians that are invading the place in droves. I've lived in these parts all of my almost 80 years and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Here on the coast we don't need AC, got great water, clean air, rarely any smoke at all. Now forget what I just said and don't tell anybody.:doh

Wife is from upstate NY and I really kind of like the place but what with the winter road salt to eat your rolling stock and the property/school taxes no thanks I'll take a little rain. I learned years ago to not stand in one spot too long else the moss will grow on my north side. lol..lol..

Everything is Fine...

I am new to the MOA and BMW community, though I have been riding my 02 K12rs for about 2 years... I WAS SUPER EXCITED to head to the rally today and had everything planned for a great weekend! This wildfire smoke though, I'm here in Charlotte where AQI is moderate, and not to be a wuss but I don't think it's a great idea to head to where the maps all have red or purple dots indicating unhealthy or harmful air quality.

https://www.airnow.gov/?city=Charlotte&state=NC&country=USA

https://fire.airnow.gov/

https://www.airnow.gov/state/?name=virginia

If the MOA has put out a press release or email addressing the smoke I have not seen it. I know a lot of resources - time, money, coordination - have already been committed to the event, but is it irresponsible to just hope folks do what they need to stay safe? I don't have asthma or lung disease, and I don't want either so although it's a bummer I am going to skip the 50th. Headed west towards Brevard and looks like the BRP to Boone and Blowing Rock will be smoke free.

Everyone who's still going to VA for the rally - cheers! Be safe

If I wanted a taste of the Pacific Northwest, I'd move there or ride there. I've done neither, not have any compunction to do so. You can keep your wettest area of the country every year to yourselves. :dunno.

Why would anyone wish the pacific northwests crappy weather on the rest of the country? :D

You've clearly never visited there. This is Victoria, BC up in Canada and, as you can see it's horrible and miserable.

Please avoid it the PNW at all costs. It's AWFUL. We were up there for two weeks and it was spectacular every single day we were there.

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 12.20.37 PM.png

kbasa,

traveled through BC in 2018 heading to the arctic. The Pacific northwest US gets upwards of 7 feet of rain every year.

BC isn't the pacific northwest of the US. The pacific northwest to most US citizens is the northwest area of the US, it certainly doesn't conjur the western most province of Canada. Sequim, Washington - 143 rainy days/year. Seaside Oregon - 125 days of rain. Average yearly rainfall in Az, just 12.26", Flagstaff gets the most annual rainfall at 22".

Colder and wetter doesn't work for me at my age any longer. Short summers and long cold winters, nah, I have no need to live there. LOL

I feel some sorrow for you living in Ca. That state is about as screwed up as any state in the country in some many ways, besides the fact they prefer to violate their citizens and visitors of their constitutional rights. Speaking of which, those northwestern states aren't far behind where violating the Constitution.

I won't be at the national in 24 because that state sees fit to deny me one of the rights in our countries BOR as well. Not my loss, I assure you.

BTW, you live in a beautiful state with lots to offer motor riders for destinations. Lived in that state for a time late 60's/early 70's while in the service. It's still not a state I'll visit today even as I'd like to make a Death Valley trip on the motor.

Last edited:
I am new to the MOA and BMW community, though I have been riding my 02 K12rs for about 2 years... I WAS SUPER EXCITED to head to the rally today and had everything planned for a great weekend! This wildfire smoke though, I'm here in Charlotte where AQI is moderate, and not to be a wuss but I don't think it's a great idea to head to where the maps all have red or purple dots indicating unhealthy or harmful air quality.

https://www.airnow.gov/?city=Charlotte&state=NC&country=USA

https://fire.airnow.gov/

https://www.airnow.gov/state/?name=virginia

If the MOA has put out a press release or email addressing the smoke I have not seen it. I know a lot of resources - time, money, coordination - have already been committed to the event, but is it irresponsible to just hope folks do what they need to stay safe? I don't have asthma or lung disease, and I don't want either so although it's a bummer I am going to skip the 50th. Headed west towards Brevard and looks like the BRP to Boone and Blowing Rock will be smoke free.

Everyone who's still going to VA for the rally - cheers! Be safe

Looks like Doswell will drop 2 levels down to Moderate tomorrow.

If anyone is having issues with air quality in their house, I can highly recommend the Coway products.

kbasa,

traveled through BC in 2018 heading to the arctic. The Pacific northwest US gets upwards of 7 feet of rain every year.

BC isn't the pacific northwest of the US. The pacific northwest to most US citizens is the northwest area of the US, it certainly doesn't conjur the western most province of Canada. Sequim, Washington - 143 rainy days/year. Seaside Oregon - 125 days of rain. Average yearly rainfall in Az, just 12.26", Flagstaff gets the most annual rainfall at 22".

Colder and wetter doesn't work for me at my age any longer. Short summers and long cold winters, nah, I have no need to live there. LOL

I feel some sorrow for you living in Ca. That state is about as screwed up as any state in the country in some many ways, besides the fact they prefer to violate their citizens and visitors of their constitutional rights. Speaking of which, those northwestern states aren't far behind where violating the Constitution.

I won't be at the national in 24 because that state sees fit to deny me one of the rights in our countries BOR as well. Not my loss, I assure you.

BTW, you live in a beautiful state with lots to offer motor riders for destinations. Lived in that state for a time late 60's/early 70's while in the service. It's still not a state I'll visit today even as I'd like to make a Death Valley trip on the motor.

Your constant badgering and badmouthing your fellow members states is getting old!

The forum rules are clear: 'https://forums.bmwmoa.org/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_postingguidelines'

Politics and your constant moaning and groaning about your 'gun-rights' are prohibited topics! You insist on demeaning your fellow members states and only caring about your own 'individual' rights; well you know what, (constitutionally) every state in the union has a right to decide it's own rights, and because they may differ from your states (rights) doesn't make them wrong, it just means the members in these other states (Oregon, WA, CA etc) have a different value system than you do; and from the evidence of your postings this is a good thing!

Regards: Chuck 3 #19,958

PS: Why has Mr Moderator allowed this members posts to continue to abuse the Forum's posting guidelines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back