• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

camhead valve clearances

wwalton

working on my 12k today for my 2013 RT and the clearances have loosened for a couple since the 6k. Specifically the right exhaust valves are right at .4 up from .37 or so, and the intakes are all between .2 and .25 when they were between .15 and .20. The left exhaust are about .36. Those who have more experience with the cammers, what is the result of riding with some of the valves so close to the upper limit for a couple of weeks.

Thanks Paul

I'll take it apart in a couple weeks and measure the shims to determine what I need to get back about middle of the range. The manual I'm using says new e-clips are a must, or I would take it apart today and check the shim measurements and put it back together until new ones can be obtained. I'm more than 200 miles from the nearest dealer so they will be mail-order from Max or similar.

I'll take it apart in a couple weeks and measure the shims to determine what I need to get back about middle of the range. The manual I'm using says new e-clips are a must, or I would take it apart today and check the shim measurements and put it back together until new ones can be obtained. I'm more than 200 miles from the nearest dealer so they will be mail-order from Max or similar.

FWIW, I didn't replace e-clips when adjusting my valves at 12k. I had two near the loose end of the range so I decided to bring all as close to center as possible. No issues at all.

Perhaps the next time I remove the clips I will replace them for good measure.

2013 R1200RT valve lash...

when i checked the "semi-sphere" sizes on a valve check (do that every 6000 miles), i reused the "e" clips without issue.....so far...

and i previously asked the question of where the RT runs best with regard to valve lash clearances.....no one seemed to know or give factual advice....FWIW my clearances are right at the loose end of the spec and the motor runs beautifully.....

any and all constructive advice is welcome...

wyman

lots of info is good

Mine also is running great, so I hate to mess with it. Consensus seems to be that its best to have the exhaust, at least, on the loose end of the scale because the valves themselves can run cooler. I've seen no empirical data but the concept of them transferring more heat by staying in the seats a fraction longer makes sense. I will take the time to measure the shims in a week or so and order up some to move all back just a bit.

when i checked the "semi-sphere" sizes on a valve check (do that every 6000 miles), i reused the "e" clips without issue.....so far...

and i previously asked the question of where the RT runs best with regard to valve lash clearances.....no one seemed to know or give factual advice....FWIW my clearances are right at the loose end of the spec and the motor runs beautifully.....

any and all constructive advice is welcome...

wyman

The shims from the dealer will be in increments od .05 mm the original factory shims come in .025 and .05 increments .

It would be nice to be able to get them in .025 increments to be able to get them closely adjusted to each other. But I guess it's not that critical

I've inquired with several service departments and mechanics I trust and they all say that anywhere within spec is fine. On that note, I'd guess somewhere in the middle is probably best.

I've inquired with several service departments and mechanics I trust and they all say that anywhere within spec is fine. On that note, I'd guess somewhere in the middle is probably best.

Hopefully the idea would be that the spec is set up so the tight end still wouldn't burn a valve. So, if you're willing to do frequent checks, best would be the tight end, as this makes the most power.

Last edited:
The valve clearance has a range of .1mm (2 sheets of print paper thick) not much room for error when taking measurements. It doesn't take much to be off .05mm when taking measurements. Check double check then check again before making any adjustments.

Back