• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Buying a R850R

x2nobody

Bought an R850R...Need an R Experts advice

:Edited different thread:
Ok so i got this 96 r850r from a guy that crashed it...he side swiped the right side
i need to know what parts are interchangable on this R with other R bikes

gas tank
instrument cluster .(has a switch for heated grips)
right handle bar and things that attach....has windshield attachment (bent) may want windshield too
all right side blinkers
valve cover
tach (mounted to the right of the inst cluster)

Last edited:
:Edited different thread:
Ok so i got this 96 r850r from a guy that crashed it...he side swiped the right side
i need to know what parts are interchangable on this R with other R bikes

gas tank
instrument cluster .(has a switch for heated grips)
right handle bar and things that attach....has windshield attachment (bent) may want windshield too
all right side blinkers
valve cover
tach (mounted to the right of the inst cluster)

I believe that any R 1100 R parts will fit.

even the valve cover?

My understanding is that the bore of the 850 was 87.8 mm and the 1100 bore is 99 mm.

Everything else is the same.

The 850 sold for $1,000 less than the 1100 but the cost to manufacture was the same so BMW didn't make as much money on each bike. Buyers didn't want to give up the performance for only $1K savings.

I had an R850r (great bike) and found that literally all of similar year models R 1100 R equipment would fit with a few exceptions--the 850 was geared higher, i think the camshaft is different, and obviously the bore is different. Nearly everything I ever purchases for it was from an 1100 since those were much more popular than the 850. What American male would settle for 8 1/2 if an 11 was available? I never found anything I needed 1100 to do on that bike, including multiple cross-continent rides, Alaska, Mexico, etc. LT

My understanding is that the bore of the 850 was 87.8 mm and the 1100 bore is 99 mm.

Everything else is the same.

The 850 sold for $1,000 less than the 1100 but the cost to manufacture was the same so BMW didn't make as much money on each bike. Buyers didn't want to give up the performance for only $1K savings.

Thx very much..I am very happy to hear this since the R850R was not sold much here

I had an R850r (great bike) and found that literally all of similar year models R 1100 R equipment would fit with a few exceptions--the 850 was geared higher, i think the camshaft is different, and obviously the bore is different. Nearly everything I ever purchases for it was from an 1100 since those were much more popular than the 850. What American male would settle for 8 1/2 if an 11 was available? I never found anything I needed 1100 to do on that bike, including multiple cross-continent rides, Alaska, Mexico, etc. LT

I totally appreciate this 2nd opinion...i need those on the internet
and it seems just about anybody talking about the R850R i see on the net says "great bike"
i had one a few yrs back and had an R1100R police eng put in...the mech said he would love to have it because of that lower gearing with the big engine
i actually prefer an 850 because i think they may be smoother and will get better MPG

Back