• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

warning lights on gauge... which goes where?

brant914

Good morning,

I hope everyone is dry, warm, and well

still working on the wiring on my 1971 R75/5 project
it has the early instrument cluster with the motometer gauge...
I'm installing a brand new wiring harness... and have gotten as far as the spaghetti mess inside the headlight bucket.

today my question is about the 4 warning lights in the gauge...
I guess you could call it 5 lights if you count the orange turn indicator

but I'm focused on the 4 warning lights in the actual gauge...
oil
high beam
alternator
neutral

I realize the gauge has illumination back lights also... I think the 2 additional sockets on the bottom

this morning I realized... I should shine a flash light into the headlight/gauge bucket to identify the position of which colored lens is where....
however last night... I didn't think of that... I decided to ask the group of experts who know everything!

It looks like the colors are likely...
Left side, forward: green
Left side, rearward: blue (I assume high beam)
Right side, forward: green? (kinda darker)
Right side, forward: red-ish ( I assume oil pressure)

here is a picture
does anyone know the identification/location of those 4 warning light shown?

is the neutral on the right or left side ?gauge.jpg

Last edited:
additionally...

I see on the parts microfiche... that one of the WL bulbs is supposed to be 4watts

the other 5 apparently all 2 watts...

which warning indicator is the big bulb?

edit...
just looked at the diagrams again
it looks like the microfiche shows the 4watt bulb on the charging system

may have answered my own 2nd question
brant

Not sure what you're asking for...wiring inside or just position of the lights in the instrument. If the latter, here's a /5 owner's manual. Figure 5 here shows the position of the various bulbs. It would seem from the visible color, that the left two are correct. But the manual says the lower right is orange and for oil pressure...OK that color seems like it works. The upper right is the charge light and is supposed to be red...yours doesn't look red to me.

http://5united.org/articles/manual/opinsp.html

thank you...
I was just trying to figure out the position of the light in the gauge as you answered...

sorry I don't have a manual yet
need to read the link you provided...

hmmm... weird if I have the wrong color on one...... but I'll look into it.

Left upper - blue - high beam
Left lower - green - neutral
Right upper - ? color - oil pressure
Right lower - red - alternator

quick update...
I took a short break from work.... ran to the garage...
took a small flashlight and shined it from within the headlight case up through the W/L

the upper right shines Red...

it sure doesn't look red without the back light..
but Hooray....

brant

Back