• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Buying a 1100 RS

weschmann

Kawa Afterthought
Hi folks. Just purchased a new to me 1994 1100 RS as my next bmw adventure to replace a 18 R NineT GS. 54000 Miles and very well taken care of, from a friend and fellow touring rider. Took it for a two hour test ride and only issue I could find is the abs doesn't seem to be working. The bike has been sitting for a couple of months with some random starts along the way, but the battery did run down at some point. Battery is recharged and starts the bike fine now but abs still blinking while riding. During the cold weather he did send it to the shop and had the brake fluid changed, but then sat in garage. He mentioned there is a sensor under the seat somewhere that he has been able to coax into working by using a jumper wire to encourage the abs to come back to life. If I need to replace the abs pump, any idea of what type of cost I'm looking at? This is not a wizzy brake model so certainly hope it's not too expensive right off the start line.

Battery health affects the ABS light. Try rolling the bike, key on, before starting. You should hear the ABS cycle, and the light should go out. If this procedure is effective, your ABS is OK.

It seems that the starter takes a lot of battery power, and creates the flashing ABS light fault.

Congrats on getting the RS, I’ve enjoyed my Y2K model for 90,000 miles.

Battery health affects the ABS light. Try rolling the bike, key on, before starting. You should hear the ABS cycle, and the light should go out. If this procedure is effective, your ABS is OK.

It seems that the starter takes a lot of battery power, and creates the flashing ABS light fault.

Congrats on getting the RS, I’ve enjoyed my Y2K model for 90,000 miles.

Thanks for the reply.Ill give that a try when I pick her up. I did find a utube video on the 94 rs that there is a blue diagnostic plug which uses a center prong to ground and a reset switch sequence to follow. Since the battery also was discharged completely, I may just go ahead and replace too. Guess I'll go after the obvious possibilities first.

Heads Up

U gotta nice bike. Ur working on the ABS brakes and maybe the fuel system to get it running properly; first things first. Next comes the riding. One very important thing is the weakest and somewhat poor design of the 3 spoke cast wheels. The outer rim of the wheel is not properly supported. The first buyers of these bikes broke and bent a lot of the wheels. Potholes and bad roads were also culprits.These were usually replaced by BMW NA. Now we’re on our own. The only way to defend against this was avoiding the potholes and rough roads. But when you ride in bad weather and at night Ur going to hit the rough stuff. The owners manual states 32 lbs front and 36.3 lbs. solo. I run solo but but I run the tire pressure as 2-up. 36.3 lbs for the front and 42 lbs. rear. And if I run fully loaded solo with all my gear and camping gear, I up it a couple of more lbs. Just a little heads up. One more thing those radial tires are hard to read visually in a casual glance. Always check with your gauge. Ride and enjoy your RS.:thumb

U gotta nice bike. Ur working on the ABS brakes and maybe the fuel system to get it running properly; first things first. Next comes the riding. One very important thing is the weakest and somewhat poor design of the 3 spoke cast wheels. The outer rim of the wheel is not properly supported. The first buyers of these bikes broke and bent a lot of the wheels. Potholes and bad roads were also culprits.These were usually replaced by BMW NA. Now we’re on our own. The only way to defend against this was avoiding the potholes and rough roads. But when you ride in bad weather and at night Ur going to hit the rough stuff. The owners manual states 32 lbs front and 36.3 lbs. solo. I run solo but but I run the tire pressure as 2-up. 36.3 lbs for the front and 42 lbs. rear. And if I run fully loaded solo with all my gear and camping gear, I up it a couple of more lbs. Just a little heads up. One more thing those radial tires are hard to read visually in a casual glance. Always check with your gauge. Ride and enjoy your RS.:thumb
Barry, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep a eye on tire pressure. I've been known to hit a pothole or two, on the rough side in my rides so will certainly pay attention. Used to the more robust GS wheels so I appreciate the heads up. Looking forward to a more layed back riding experience as I start on my second 100,000 mile bmw riding tally. ��

Back