• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Buy Back

Not a lease. They are a 48 month loan with last payment being a balloon payment. Many states do not allow such transactions. A current example; a $16,600 machine financed for 48 months which has a final payment of $5,224.00. That last payment is accrued interest and any remaining principle owed. Monthly payments are lower than a traditional loan however overall payments result in higher overall costs. There is no guaranteed buy back - you are buying the bike and owe all that is due.

Hmm, as dlong described the financing arrangement, it sure sounds alot like the cars I've leased in the past.

Hmm, as dlong described the financing arrangement, it sure sounds alot like the cars I've leased in the past.

Perhaps he leased through a third party or in a different country and not BMW's Easy Ride Program. One primary lease option in most leases is to turn in leased unit and walk away. While one may incur some fees for unusual wear and tear or all out damage and perhaps a disposition charge, one can pay those and simply walk away. You can not walk away from BMW's Easy Ride plan, one owes the entire amount per the financial contract, which is the loan amount plus interest on the LOAN. Of course you can trade and accept whatever the dealer will allow, but if it doesn't come up to the LOAN balance, one owes the amount "under water". One can sell the bike out right, but in order to obtain the title to do so, they must pay the LOAN in full.

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/financial-services/easy-ride.html

Perhaps he leased through a third party or in a different country and not BMW's Easy Ride Program. One primary lease option in most leases is to turn in leased unit and walk away. While one may incur some fees for unusual wear and tear or all out damage and perhaps a disposition charge, one can pay those and simply walk away. You can not walk away from BMW's Easy Ride plan, one owes the entire amount per the financial contract, which is the loan amount plus interest on the LOAN. Of course you can trade and accept whatever the dealer will allow, but if it doesn't come up to the LOAN balance, one owes the amount "under water". One can sell the bike out right, but in order to obtain the title to do so, they must pay the LOAN in full.

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/financial-services/easy-ride.html

Thanks for the lesson in leasing. I could have used that when I was national leasing manager for an international company.

Bikes (or cars) that were bought back as part of some manufacturer recall campaign are one thing but some random vehicle bought back for an unknown reason? No way.

Dealers don't buy back bikes for "unknown reasons."

Your chances of determining what the reason was is another matter. You'll hear "it's fixed."

They did buy some because getting new rear struts was taking way too long, IIRC. In that case getting the bike with a new strut at a good price seems to me to be an OK deal.

Back