• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Buy Back

frank2003

I'm looking at buying a K1600B. I've seen a few 2018 at great prices but they were listed as bikes that were returned in the Buyback program. Has anyone had any experience with these good or bad? The savings seem to be 2 to 3 thousand.
Thanks

Taking a guess at this...the most common avenue for either cars or motorcycles to be re-purchased (aka "buyback) by a dealer is if the owner brought litigation successfully under a state's lemon law. I'd be interested to hear if a dealer or BMW NA had some other version of a buyback.

I wouldn't touch a buyback vehicle, car or bike, if my grandchild's life depended on it. Why on earth would you want to inherit someone else's nightmare.

I'd consider it, but only if BMW agreed to take it back from me with no arguments if it wasn't totally correct. I spoke to someone at MaxNH a few years ago about buyback bikes. essentially they are bikes that the dealer or BMW field staff can't fix or can't fix in a reasonable amount of time. When they come back, they are fixed at BMW USA. As of the time I spoke to MAX NH, they hadn't had any bad experiences reselling them. What is your dealers take on them?

Some states require a manufacturer to retitle a vehicle found to be a lemon as a "lemon law repurchase" prior to the resale.

The Texas Occupation Code requires the following. "Sec. 2301.610. DISCLOSURE STATEMENT. (a) A manufacturer, distributor, or converter that has been ordered to repurchase or replace a vehicle shall, through its franchised dealer, issue a disclosure statement stating that the vehicle was repurchased or replaced by the manufacturer, distributor, or converter under this subchapter. The statement must accompany the vehicle through the first retail purchase following the issuance of the statement and must include the toll-free telephone number described by Subsection (d) that will enable the purchaser to obtain information about the condition or defect that was the basis of the order for repurchase or replacement."

That said, I would pass. There is a good chance you are buying someone else’s headache.

I wonder if they had cam failure?

E.

I'd stay clear..
I can imagine buying one of these bike at a huge discount only to have it spend it's first year after purchase in a BMW dealership hundreds of miles away from home because it broke down on a cross country ride, and no one knows how to fix it or what to do.
It might be marginally better if they agreed to provide a comprairable loaner bike for when ever yours is in the shop over 3 days.

I'd rather drive/ride something smaller/less expensive new, than deal with someone else's nightmare warranty or not... YMMV

The dealer I spoke with was not a BMW dealer. I think I'll take the advice and steer clear. Thanks.

I certainly would not purchase a buy-back-bike from a dealer other than a franchised dealer of whatever the bike is - BMW bike, other dealer in this case. The first question would be why did the second owner dump this dog?

Slightly off topic, but.....

I grabbed a VW "buyback" program TDI Jetta wagon from a VW dealer, low miles, great price with a two year factory "everything" warranty, unlimited miles. VW re-mapped the emission system to make it legal with EPA. Buybacks can happen for various reasons and if the manufacturer stands behind the vehicle, what's to worry.

Remember the 2014 RT rear strut debacle, once fixed they were as good as new. Indiana did not require a "branded" title on buy backs, some states did. I bought my own buy back back from my original dealer. Made out on that deal, except for initial frustration. Depends on the reason, who did repair and warranty status. Agree, wouldn't consider one from a non BMW dealer.

So there was a G310 recall for failing or soon to fail sidestands. Suppose a bike was bought back and the frame was replaced with the new won't ever brake sidestand mount. To save substantial dollars I would buy one of these in a minute. Ditto those Goldwings of yesteryore with breaking frames. Or even a criminal conspiracy VW diesel once legalized even with fewer mpg. YMMV but it is hard to generalize on this one.

Bikes (or cars) that were bought back as part of some manufacturer recall campaign are one thing but some random vehicle bought back for an unknown reason? No way.

Bikes (or cars) that were bought back as part of some manufacturer recall campaign are one thing but some random vehicle bought back for an unknown reason? No way.

Yep! Like most things in life, details matter. Ask before you buy. Look before you leap.

Some states require a manufacturer to retitle a vehicle found to be a lemon as a "lemon law repurchase" prior to the resale.

The Texas Occupation Code requires the following. "Sec. 2301.610. DISCLOSURE STATEMENT. (a) A manufacturer, distributor, or converter that has been ordered to repurchase or replace a vehicle shall, through its franchised dealer, issue a disclosure statement stating that the vehicle was repurchased or replaced by the manufacturer, distributor, or converter under this subchapter. The statement must accompany the vehicle through the first retail purchase following the issuance of the statement and must include the toll-free telephone number described by Subsection (d) that will enable the purchaser to obtain information about the condition or defect that was the basis of the order for repurchase or replacement."

That said, I would pass. There is a good chance you are buying someone else’s headache.

I wonder if they had cam failure?

E.

Can you elaborate on the cam failure? My 2018 GS is in the shop with a loud tapping hammering noise and the cams have grooves ground in them. I am awaiting their reply. My bike also had the rear spokes loosen several times in Europe in September of 2018. I love/hate the bike and will only stay in the BMW family if they get me a brand new engine or into a new bike.

I know the lemon law really well and typically it takes three repair attempts. But given that an engine failure can leave you on the side of the road which is a safety matter, that may only take one repair. But litigating takes months and I know this after suing Nissan in 2005 and Ford in 2015. But if BMW will do something voluntarily, again, that may keep me in the BMW family.

Does anyone know what the process for a BMW voluntary buy back is and how they determine what they pay for the bike and if the original accessories that cost big bucks like the Vario Panniers are included?

I’ll check with my prior lemon law attorney but gawd I hope it doesn’t go that route.

NC

When I purchased an '18 RT two years ago, I was offered a financing plan which included an agreement for the dealer to "buy back" the bike at a set price. I believe this was intended to encourage trading up to a new model. Could the "buy back" bikes referred to by the OP be from this program, in which case they may be fine machines in good working order?

When I purchased an '18 RT two years ago, I was offered a financing plan which included an agreement for the dealer to "buy back" the bike at a set price. I believe this was intended to encourage trading up to a new model. Could the "buy back" bikes referred to by the OP be from this program, in which case they may be fine machines in good working order?

I believe your financing plan was basically a lease.

Not a lease. They are a 48 month loan with last payment being a balloon payment. Many states do not allow such transactions. A current example; a $16,600 machine financed for 48 months which has a final payment of $5,224.00. That last payment is accrued interest and any remaining principle owed. Monthly payments are lower than a traditional loan however overall payments result in higher overall costs. There is no guaranteed buy back - you are buying the bike and owe all that is due.

Back