• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brembo fork internal parts question...

bmwjean

BMWJean
Anyone have pictures detailing the assembly of BMW Airhead Type III forks- specifically the sequence of parts fitted on the damper rod and how it all fits inside of the fork tube?

I'm upgrading my 78 R100S to use the later Brembo brakes. So far, I've purchased sliders, damper rods and associated parts from a 1984 RT. I also ordered fork tubes from Frank's Engineering for the same.

Problem is, since I didn't get to disassemble the forks, I'm not quite sure how it all goes together. I have both the Clymer and Haynes manuals and have looked at MAX BMW and Real OEM web sites to try to figure out it all fits. The parts I have look to be from a later fork design but don't quite match any of the parts diagrams.

I need to know what fits between the perforated washer and the circlip that holds the assembly inside the fork tube.

You could try asking Rusty Gill at Max if he has any BMW service bulletins that show those forks. I think my 86 has the same version and I was surprised that the top caps were nothing like the fiche showed.

I'm doing the same thing on an R 90/6

I have an identical parts inventory and doing the same thing as you are. Its 3rd on the list of projects going on but I am going to pick the brain of an airhead mechanic and a friendly dealers part guru tomorrow. I'll see what I come up with and share it back here.

76 r90/6

I have an identical parts inventory and doing the same thing as you are. Its 3rd on the list of projects going on but I am going to pick the brain of an airhead mechanic and a friendly dealers part guru tomorrow. I'll see what I come up with and share it back here.

I've got my R90/6 forks on my work bench as part of my spring front forks and brake rebuild project. So, I will also be interested in following this thread.

Mike
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

I got my answer!!

I also posted my question to the ADVRider website and received a reply with a link to some photos that are EXACTLY what I was looking for- the photos even show the RaceTech Gold Valve I'm installing.

Click the photo link within the following ADVrider thread and send your thanks to Mark J. in Merritt Island FL!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680195

Back