• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brembo Brake Pin Kit Questions

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
The bike is a 1988 R100 RT, which has the Brembo brake calipers. I have two questions.

1.) I had ordered new brake pin kits from an independent retailer (not a dealer), which they indicated to be the correct replacement part. Although the pins provided were from Brembo, they are slightly different. When I went to drive the pin in to fully seat the pin, it went in too far. Upon examination, there is a shoulder on the newer pins that is shorter than the shoulder on the pins they replace (see photo). The only difference is the length of the shoulder. While these are Brembo replacements, they do not appear to be the correct replacement pins on my calipers. The image of the pins from Max BMW’s website show the pins with the longer shoulder, like the pins I have. It's not too hard to center the pin in the caliper, but with the older ones when they were driven all the way in, they were centered. Should I leave them be or replace with the proper pins?

Brake Caliper Pins.jpg

2.) Motobins has aftermarket stainless steel replacement pin kits. My knowledge and experience with stainless steel hardware is very limited. I've read and experienced stainless steel nuts and bolts galling, but I'm wondering about the application here. Does stainless steel seem like a good or bad option here?

Just a WAG -
1) If they engage the "curvy M" spring clips properly, and aren't going to slip sideways, they should be ok.
2) I'd think stainless would be a Good Thing here.
But others may know better...

Part

I would contact your part supplier and tell them what has happened. At the least they should know there is two different versions of the pins.

Frankly, I don't second guess brake parts, they fit and are correct or I get the part that fits. I don't need to find out something will fall apart when I need to stop.

In this case, you may have to buy them from a dealership such as Max. Did you look on Max's fiche to see what the availability and prices are as well as the part number.

St.

I would contact your part supplier and tell them what has happened. At the least they should know there is two different versions of the pins.
I contacted the company and they are willing to make me whole, but to the best of their knowledge they provided me with the correct part. They mentioned no one had ever brought this issue up before. I did bring it to their attention in part to let them know of the difference in the pins. My hope was that they will mention this to their supplier.

Frankly, I don't second guess brake parts, they fit and are correct or I get the part that fits. I don't need to find out something will fall apart when I need to stop.

In this case, you may have to buy them from a dealership such as Max. Did you look on Max's fiche to see what the availability and prices are as well as the part number.
The original pins once seated are properly centered. The new ones require the installer to center them. The pins are identical other than that shoulder (e.g. length, diameter, retaining clip, etc.). As such, once centered, I can’t see why they won’t perform as needed. Also, the calipers have a plastic top that covers and provides additional retention of the pins.

According to the online fiche, BMW charges almost twice the cost for these pins, and my local dealership is always higher than the online prices. Motobins has the correct Brembo pins for about 60% the cost. They also have aftermarket stainless for a couple bucks more per kit.

Change

I am not quite sure if you are trying to change my mind? Sorry it won't work, I don't mess with brakes if the new parts are not the same as came off the bike, the new ones don't go on. I don't care if BMW charges 100% more than someone else, if BMW has the the part that fits properly, I pay it the BMW price.

I am of course a lot happier if I don't get the Bite My Wallet from BMW for the same part bought at another place as long as the quality of the part is OKAY.

Other items on the bike I will shop around and perhaps use less less rigid criteria for example, I don't buy Valve cover gaskets from the BMW dealer because I perceive the ones from another source are close enough and the price is right.

A valve cover gasket has such a little chance of failing and me ending up in the back bumper than does questionable pins in the brake calipers.

I split my shopping between EME, Boxer 2 Valve and Max, depending on the items and the items cost and quality. So far, all the parts from either of the three sources have been pretty much the same in fit and quality. Stocking mistakes can happen, it is nice your shop is making you whole.

Good luck. St.

I would get pins that match the originals. Even if you can get these to work it will always be in the back of your mind while riding -- well, it would be in mine. Stainless steel will work well here. In any case, I would put a very small bit of grease on the pins; anit-seize is my preference.

And I too would bite the bullet on OEM parts -- in this case at any rate. And would have when I had airheads and worried about whether I could afford a third beer on Friday nights.

Back