• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brembo Brake Caliper Halves Bolt Torque

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I rebuilt the Brembo calipers on my 1988 R100 RT. To cut to the chase, what should be the appropriate torque setting for the two bolts clamping the halves together.

Here’s what I’ve found so far….

I read through the included Brembo instructions and if I’m reading it right (they're not that clear), the two bolts clamping the two halves should be tightened to 50 nm or ±36.9 ft lb. This is not my area of expertise, but that seems high for an 8.8 M10 bolt that has a torque setting range of 25-39 nm to 18-29 ft lbs, according to Clymers. Snowbum’s sight indicates torque settings for the Brembo calipers with four bolts, but doesn’t seem to reference the older Brembo calipers with only two bolts. Brook Reams references the torque settings for the inner bolts indicated on Snowbum’s site. I have a repair manual for the airhead GS, and BMW doesn’t specify a different torque setting other than normal for the bolt type.

Last edited:
Seems like this has been discussed before. Check the threads in the similar threads pane at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks Kurt, but none of the previous threads/posts talk about the torque value for the bolts that clamp the two halves together.

Maybe the factory bolts are a stronger-than-typical steel, considering what they have to do...?

Generic bolt torque specs. assume that they are being screwed into the same material as the bolt. When screwing into something softer (aluminum caliper) you need to take that into consideration (lower torque). More thread engagement (more than 1.5 x diameter of bolt) allows the torque to be raised a bit.

The weak link is not the bolt, it is the aluminum threads in the caliper.

Still can not give you an exact spec. even though your bike uses the exact same Brembo calipers as an early Flying Brick (K75-K100). I’ve checked the BMW factory Manual, the Clymers, and the Haynes manuals, but no listing.

The only torque listing that I found was in a Harley manual. It said “tighten until it breaks, then back off 1/4 turn.”

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks everyone. I've decided to go with 22 ft/lbs, since the few places I've seen 22 ft/lbs stated, none have indicated leaks.

Thanks everyone. I've decided to go with 22 ft/lbs, since the few places I've seen 22 ft/lbs stated, none have indicated leaks.

I'm late, but that's what I used on my 84 R100CS. I think 44ft lbs. on the mounting bolts? EDIT: It's 24 ft. lbs. :D

Last edited:
Back