• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brass accents for motorcycles? Bar-end weights, etc?

senseamidmadness

Neglected Bike Adopter
I'd like to get some opinions on something I haven't seen much of before.

I recently got a metal lathe; after months of sitting on the bench it's finally together and running well, and I'm looking into what to make for my first few projects.

One thought that occurred to me was making things like bar-end weights and shifter/brake pedal covers out of brass. Brass looks awesome, in my opinion, but I've never seen it used on motorcycles other than some Harley-Davidson accessories here and there (primarily made by Arlen Ness), and a few I found in an Internet search that are made for Royal Enfields. Most companies making accessories like this go with the far more common black paint, anodize their aluminum parts, or make them out of stainless and leave them in the bright.

I plan to use 464 Naval Brass, the most corrosion-resistant of the common brass alloys, which is surprisingly cheaper than some other brass alloys and much cheaper than 360 free machining brass. I think on my R850R I'll make a close dimensional copy of the HVMP bar end weights I have out of brass, and see what other stuff I can do the same for. I've got access to a buffing wheel so I can make them quite shiny. I'm thinking maybe I could make transmission and final drive fill plugs out of brass too, possibly replace a few of the plastic cosmetic caps like the ball joint and Telelever pivots with thin brass ones, and maybe a few non-structural screws like the ones that hold the oil cooler plastics on.

If they look good enough and work alright, who knows, maybe I'll sell a few here and there, but I have no idea whether anybody even wants brass parts.

Anybody got any ideas for motorcycle parts that would look good made from brass and could be made with a small benchtop lathe?

Anybody got any ideas for motorcycle parts that would look good made from brass and could be made with a small benchtop lathe?

The screws on your injection intakes. Nothing else. But that's my opinion with which hundreds, if not thousands, have been known to disagree. :laugh

The screws on your injection intakes. Nothing else. But that's my opinion with which hundreds, if not thousands, have been known to disagree. :laugh

See, I want to make some other parts to match them! :D

Mine has Ascot Green Metallic paint and a brown seat, and I think brass would go alright with those. Apparently interior designers for houses agree with me on that front; they say brass hardware goes well with green and blue colors.

You will be pleased to know, however, that I have no plans to brass up the red 1996 RT I recently acquired. That's getting stainless hardware only.

Last edited:
Back