• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW's Extended Warranty?

jkdun

Is the extended warranty that BMW offers, worth it when purchasing a new bike? Pro's and Con's?

Is the extended warranty that BMW offers, worth it when purchasing a new bike? Pro's and Con's?

My wife and I both purchased BMW Extended Warranties with our 2015 R1200GS bikes and they came into effect in February of this year.
We have not been without a couple of warranty covered issues during the original warranty period (particularly my bike), so when we were coming up to the end of the first two years we were grateful that we had purchased the extended warranty back when we got the bikes.
In Australia, as I understand it, the extended warranty must be purchased at the time of buying the bikes, because dealers are not licensed to sell warranties later (they are not licensed insurance brokers).

So, with this additional 12 months of "peace of mind" we hoped we would never need something we paid a significant price for.

Then I discovered (should have read the fine print) that although the warranty covers all items under the original manufacturers warranty - it DOES NOT cover the bike outside of Australia.
To say I was stunned is an understatement. We try to take our bikes overseas as often as we can to chase new adventures and to find out that we were no longer covered by warranty in the event of an incident was certainly unfortunate.

It may not be the same in the US or Europe but that's how it is for us in Australia. It's not the end of the world and will not stop us from taking our bikes internationally, but it seems wrong.
Make life a ride, take on the world, but insurance companies don't hold true to the BMW mantra.

Warranty?

My wife and I both purchased BMW Extended Warranties with our 2015 R1200GS bikes and they came into effect in February of this year.
We have not been without a couple of warranty covered issues during the original warranty period (particularly my bike), so when we were coming up to the end of the first two years we were grateful that we had purchased the extended warranty back when we got the bikes.
In Australia, as I understand it, the extended warranty must be purchased at the time of buying the bikes, because dealers are not licensed to sell warranties later (they are not licensed insurance brokers).

So, with this additional 12 months of "peace of mind" we hoped we would never need something we paid a significant price for.

Then I discovered (should have read the fine print) that although the warranty covers all items under the original manufacturers warranty - it DOES NOT cover the bike outside of Australia.
To say I was stunned is an understatement. We try to take our bikes overseas as often as we can to chase new adventures and to find out that we were no longer covered by warranty in the event of an incident was certainly unfortunate.

It may not be the same in the US or Europe but that's how it is for us in Australia. It's not the end of the world and will not stop us from taking our bikes internationally, but it seems wrong.
Make life a ride, take on the world, but insurance companies don't hold true to the BMW mantra.

Thanks Mark! As I've scanned others on this sight, apparently there are other options other than the one BMW offers at the dealership. The one they offer here in the U.S. is around $1,400 for four years. This picks up after the regular factory three year warranty. I certainly would want to read the fine print as well. Not so much for going out of the country but exactly what it does and does not cover. I read or heard someone say you have to let BMW even change your oil. Surely that is not true. Anyway, there's a lot of "bells and whistles" on the GS's that could malfunction so I thought it might be a good idea.

I take it you are liking your GS's. I am hoping to get a GSA in the near future. I am saving for it. Never owned a Beemer but I plan on this bike being my next one. I live in Arizona so we have plenty of dirt roads I could explore.

Thanks again for your input.

Kyle Duncan

Back