• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW parts made in China...WTF!

M1ka said:
No one is trying to kill the messanger.

I agree with 99% of what you have said.

+1. The one percent I take exception to is that there are exceptions. I buy a lot of stuff from Irv Seaver (which proves Flash's points re: internet, fed-ex, discount) etc. Never have I had Irv do ANY of the things most other dealers do. I've received HOURS of phone consultation, no charge. I always get return phone calls, usually within minutes, if ever there is a problem with an order. And the last part I ordered that was unavailable in NJ, was shipped from Germany and arrived within a week with no charge to me.

But as to Flash's point, this is the OLD BMW. Doesn't happen much any more. When BMW-NA chose to pull the plug on the old Las Vegas dealer, I learned self-reliance. Now, I don't really need the new dealer except for demo rides. :thumb

marK11LT said:
air conditioning and metal parts does not equal quality

I've never worked in an air conditioned shop and held tolerances?

BMW parts made in china, hmmm

Having worked in machine shops for over thirty years and CNC machines for the last 10, I can tell you that temps do make a difference when mass production is involved. Make a part at 60 degrees in the morning and 90 degrees in the afternoon. If inspectors or the operator is not vigilant think how many parts will go out the door out of tolerance. In the case of bearings a few tenths will make a world of difference.
With all due respect climate control does make a difference,.

later

flash412 said:
So is Buick, for almost ten years already.

Yes, and it's interesting because Buick is doing pretty well and there are fond cultural memories of Buicks there harking back to the 1930s.

China

All this talk about boycotting items made in China, just ask your congressman how much money the US government has borrowed from China............

:dance

GeneT said:
All this talk about boycotting items made in China, just ask your congressman how much money the US government has borrowed from China............

So when the US Gov't defaults will the Chinese seize all of Walmart's inventory or is that when the Chinese move into Taiwan and fire some ICBM's over here? Or perhaps they will close down the Panama Canal that they now control.

BMW is out-sourcing

Yes BMW is out-sourcing and has been doing so for a while. I read an article about 2 years ago in the German Magazine "Motorrad" that went through the BMW plant... It has become an assembly plant... Just look at the F line... but the same is happening all over... everything is becoming specialized... look at medicine, banking, house building... It is the way we do business now, I don't like it, but I have learned to accept it.... Not all change is good, that is why I sold my oilhead and ride an Airhead... It reminds me of the simpler times... How I do miss them... :type :drink :eat

Just opened thread

I missed my chance to chime in when the discussion was still on topic. My brother in law is a machinist and professional restorer (3rd in class this weekend at the Monterey Concors De Elegans). He knows steel like a potter knows clay and steel coming out of China with all the appropriate specifications does not work nor perform like English or American steel with the same specs. He builds torsion bars for Nascar and people can die if his product fails. This is a big deal.

:fight

Saw this on another BMW site

http://www.bmwra.org/

"New Single
OTL is hot on the trail(s) of the all-new "G650" BMW single. We say trails (plural) because our moles say there are three of them, and none is a replacement for the current three F650 thumper models. Read that again. That's right. We are talking about not one but three new singles.
Our sources say the new motor will probably come from Rotax and the bike will be built by Aprilia in Noale, Italy but that said, it will be ÔÇ£something completely new.ÔÇØ But what? OTL has its notions (see next month). Moles say the bikes will be far more dirt-biased than the current F650s (which will continue in production). A Beemer scrambler is "not out of the question.""

Rotax engine from Switzerland, built by Aprilia & branded a BMW... Hmmmm..

torags said:
Rotax engine from Switzerland, built by Aprilia & branded a BMW... Hmmmm..
Hmmm... Rotax is Austrian.

Do you have a link to the STORY (not the generic website)?

FYI, this is nothing new. The F650 was built by Aprilia in Noale Italy using Austrian Rotax motors and badged for BMW from 1994 through 2000.

Last edited:
China

saab93driver said:
So when the US Gov't defaults will the Chinese seize all of Walmart's inventory or is that when the Chinese move into Taiwan and fire some ICBM's over here? Or perhaps they will close down the Panama Canal that they now control.

Well Sabb Driver, your guess here is as good as mine, but when that happens you can get an egg roll and a bowl of rice from the drive through at McDonalds.

I take it you drive a Sabb???

flash412 said:
Hmmm... Rotax is Austrian.

Do you have a link to the STORY (not the generic website)?

FYI, this is nothing new. The F650 was built by Aprilia in Noale Italy using Austrian Rotax motors and badged for BMW from 1994 through 2000.

Don't have the story link. My point was that German Manufacturers (autos too) have gone beyond outsourcing. Where one buys componants and assembled them in the factory of the marque.

Now they simply put a label on the product and get a premium for the badge.

Things are different today

torags said:
My point was that German Manufacturers (autos too) have gone beyond outsourcing.
That's old news. BMW has had a car plant in South Carolina pooting out cars for about twenty years. That expensive "German" automobile in your driveway or your neighbor's driveway just may have been built by the UAW.

flash412 said:
That's old news. BMW has had a car plant in South Carolina pooting out cars for about twenty years. That expensive "German" automobile in your driveway or your neighbor's driveway just may have been built by the UAW.

That's true. But the manufacture is supervised by german employees and engineering. Re Dr Z.

I think badge premiums are dishonest, but not necessarily bad.

Porsche is the oldest outsourcing 'Ho. My '52 speedster (in 58) had VW carbs, fuel pump brakes, etc. The block was Pcar spec'ed, bored out to 1100cc. Mr P had a close relationship with VW after the war. He was assembling cars in Austria in a small garage.

My current SUV CayeeneS, manufactured in Bratslavia in a VW factory (that also manufactures Toureg & Audi Suv), shipped to Leipzip for engine install. I paid a premium over the Toureg for the Pcar dealer network, and I'm pleased I did and that's why I think it's nort bad - but it begs for more disclosure...

Bob_M said:
He knows steel like a potter knows clay and steel coming out of China with all the appropriate specifications does not work nor perform like English or American steel with the same specs. :fight

By the same token, American and British steel was crap compared to German steel. IMHO, metalurgy is the single most important factor in "the legendary motorcycles of Germany". Back when they were, anyway.

torags said:
Mr P had a close relationship with VW after the war. He was assembling cars in Austria in a small garage.

Well, I guess he would, since he was the designer. And the bits he got were in partial payment for his design license. This is discussed in a lot of books on Porsche.
In a way, Porsche was the inventor of this style of production. Yet another area that they were years ahead of any other manufacturer. AFAIK, other than the racing cars, the original 911 was the only "100%" Porsche, even then I believe they had ZF transmissions.

"By the same token, American and British steel was crap compared to German steel. IMHO, metalurgy is the single most important factor in "the legendary motorcycles of Germany". Back when they were, anyway."

The German Company Kolbscmidt (I think) has the best metallurgy in the world, they supply pcars (PAG) as well as others. But PAG has three blocks of different aluminum design in current production. Their 911 Turbo chambers are Nikkosil lined, other 911 blocks are alusil with silicone laced liners and the SUV chambers are alusil with silicone thru out the block (no liners).

BMW moto uses nikkosil lined chambers, thats why they're such a pain to break in.

Sorry for the off topic tangent..., but the germans still lead in metallugy...

(I am not German and have no commercial interest in any of the subject matter.... there, that should cover me...)

GeneT said:
Well Sabb Driver, your guess here is as good as mine, but when that happens you can get an egg roll and a bowl of rice from the drive through at McDonalds.

I take it you drive a Sabb???

Just don't stand in front of the tanks - the communists are serious when they say "move!"

And yes, I happily drive a SAAB (not a Sabb) when I'm not on my BMW :thumb

saab93driver said:
Just don't stand in front of the tanks - the communists are serious when they say "move!"

And yes, I happily drive a SAAB (not a Sabb) when I'm not on my BMW :thumb

And if you rode a Royal Enfield made in India you could ride a Sahib...lol

Back