• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Oil Change & Tire Stop in MT/ID/WY/CO or AB

adamchandler

YouTube Mechanic
I'll be around 5500 miles on my oil and tires when I cross the border from Alberta into Montana. Here's my route south to CO:

BRMY0fQ.jpeg

Looking for a shop that I could get an oil change and maybe tires around this point. I want to support dealers but I also am afraid of the rumored $300 oil changes and not being able to get one at a moment's notice (1-2 days advance warning) so I was hoping to get a recommendation of shops that would have R1250 oil and filters and tires in my size.

----

However, I have all of my own tools so maybe there's someone along my route who doesn't mind if I use their house to have some oil and filter shipped to and just lends me their drain pan. I can do an oil change in 45 minutes and be on my way. so I guess this is an anonymous book ask, too?

Fired up the Anonymous Book App. Maybe what I'll do if I can't find an independent shop is call a few people in Helena for example 2-3 days before I arrive and ask if I can have an oil change kit mailed to their house and just ask their help in disposing the oil for me. I have all of my own tools. Then go to a dealer if and when I need new tires.

I'll be around 5500 miles on my oil and tires when I cross the border from Alberta into Montana. Here's my route south to CO:

BRMY0fQ.jpeg

Looking for a shop that I could get an oil change and maybe tires around this point. I want to support dealers but I also am afraid of the rumored $300 oil changes and not being able to get one at a moment's notice (1-2 days advance warning) so I was hoping to get a recommendation of shops that would have R1250 oil and filters and tires in my size.

----

However, I have all of my own tools so maybe there's someone along my route who doesn't mind if I use their house to have some oil and filter shipped to and just lends me their drain pan. I can do an oil change in 45 minutes and be on my way. so I guess this is an anonymous book ask, too?
Big Sky Motorsports. BMW dealership in Missoula, MT

Well, if you were interested in dropping your route southward from Jellystone through Star Valley to far northern UT (Logan area), you’d be welcome to use either of the lifts in my garage/shop, or the NoMar tire changer, for service. PM me if you’re interested.

Best,
DeVern

Big Sky Motorsports. BMW dealership in Missoula, MT
I've heard really great things about that dealership. Thank you.

Well, if you were interested in dropping your route southward from Jellystone through Star Valley to far northern UT (Logan area), you’d be welcome to use either of the lifts in my garage/shop, or the NoMar tire changer, for service. PM me if you’re interested.

Best,
DeVern

Much appreciated. I'm going to save this thread and might send you a note in July ( a few days in advance) to see if you're around and I drop a bit lower than what was planned. I don't usually follow my routes exactly and like taking side-quests.

I've heard really great things about that dealership. Thank you.
Adam, I have stopped there for on-tour service a couple of times. Once with bad brakes on Voni's bike and one other time with a problem with my R1150R. In your case - oil and maybe tires - I would just call them, get price quotes, and then if OK try to schedule in advance. They are a reputable quality dealership among my top five or six in the whole country.

I'll match DeVern's offer if you want to veer east to southwestern ND. You would get to see a whole lot of the beautiful state of Montana that way. You did say you like side-quests. :laugh :wave

If there should be a dealer in Calgary, get your tires there. By using your credit card you will actually be paying 30% less than the Canadian price. Travelling in the US, I lose about 30%, buying power, in the Canada, you get the 30% discount when your bill comes due.

Adam, when will you be in the Helena, MT area? I have everything you need, except tires, in my my shop, but timing may be an issue. PM me your phone number and we can talk about it.
Adam, do not pass up this offer! Kevin and Annie are not Ambassadors for no reason - JSNS!

I appreciate you guys. Timing is (best guess) as follows and I'm sure someone who has done the trip will tell me my estimates are WAYY off:

9PQ7eVP.jpeg

• Depart Redmond OR on 6/16
  • Hop on OR BDR for 3 days until 6/19
  • WA BDR until 6/25
  • US/CA Border to Dawson City by 6/27
  • Dawson to Tuk by 6/30
  • Tuk to Calgary by 7/6
  • Calgary to Denver CO by 7/14

From there, I'll have to see if I start to head back east or continue south to Mexico. I truthfully have about 5 weeks maximum and might be able to push 6 so maybe in Denver, I just hop on the TAT back east or just ride slab it home. Will I feel home sick? tired of the road? not sure but I know I'll at least make it to CO pending any major issues.

I'm in Calgary and can offer up my workshop space to do all of what you need. I'm pretty well equipped for working on bikes and do all my own service work and tire swaps. I'd love the opportunity to hear about your ride up to Tuk as I will be doing that route in August.

The dealer here is Barnes Powersports/Blackfoot Motorrad and they will have oil and filters available, possibly tires too. I usually get my tires shipped from FortNine if you want to have a set delivered. There is also the independent BMW shop Anderwerks in town.

Adam, Have you decided what you plan to do?

I still have your DM unread. I was off the internet all weekend. And your DM is the only unread email left in my inbox. I will respond I just haven’t been on a computer since Thursday. I’m sorry. I should get some time tonight.

Back