• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bluetooth issue and upgrading firmware?

Veltins

I know there are plenty of threads regarding bluetooth connection issue and the TFT screen, but I have not read anything like my issue just yet.

I have always been able to connect my phone to the bike and my bike to my packtalk slim headset and it generally worked well (not perfect mind you).

After not riding for a couple of weeks, I went on a ride, and now have very choppy audio. Doesn't matter if I'm streaming something or listening to some audio residing on my phone. Not only that, but whenever I pause/play music via the bike, it is as if the command is delayed to my phone (the choppy music will continue for several seconds before finally stopping). I've tried all sort of reconnect sequences and adjustments to the bluetooth from my phone. I've also tried just connecting my phone directly to my headset, which works perfectly fine.
The only thing I can seem to find is that when the bike is RUNNING, the issue occurs. This would be some weird interference thing, which never came up before and I just don't get it.

Anyone else have this issue?

Regarding firmware updates, is there a way to find what the latest is and install it yourself? My local dealerships haven't had any openings for service (I had to do the 600 mile run-in myself), so they are a lost cause.

Thanks.

I know there are plenty of threads regarding bluetooth connection issue and the TFT screen, but I have not read anything like my issue just yet.

I have always been able to connect my phone to the bike and my bike to my packtalk slim headset and it generally worked well (not perfect mind you).

After not riding for a couple of weeks, I went on a ride, and now have very choppy audio. Doesn't matter if I'm streaming something or listening to some audio residing on my phone. Not only that, but whenever I pause/play music via the bike, it is as if the command is delayed to my phone (the choppy music will continue for several seconds before finally stopping). I've tried all sort of reconnect sequences and adjustments to the bluetooth from my phone. I've also tried just connecting my phone directly to my headset, which works perfectly fine.
The only thing I can seem to find is that when the bike is RUNNING, the issue occurs. This would be some weird interference thing, which never came up before and I just don't get it.

Anyone else have this issue?

Regarding firmware updates, is there a way to find what the latest is and install it yourself? My local dealerships haven't had any openings for service (I had to do the 600 mile run-in myself), so they are a lost cause.

Thanks.

Try the Factory Reset on the Cardo Slim. Doing this has fixed many issues for me on my PT Bold.

Try the Factory Reset on the Cardo Slim. Doing this has fixed many issues for me on my PT Bold.

Yeah, I've done that multiple times.
It's really bizarre. It is sometimes somewhat ok and sometimes really bad. I have tried connecting devices in specific orders, turning on the BMW motorrad connected app, and other things.
I might be at the point of just not using the connection functionality of the bike. I can't even go to my dealer as they appear to be too busy to get my bike in (I couldn't get in for the first service either), which I is why I was wondering if one can do a firmware upgrade on their own somehow.

Difficult to provide you any meaningful advice, due to lack of details about your configuration. You did not say whether you are using your phone for navigation, or using a dedicated satnav. You did not indicate which bike model you have (although that should not make any difference). You also did not say what type of phone you have (Android or iOS).

The type of phone you have may be important. I have seen more forum posts from iOS users than Android users regarding problems, usually with loss of connectivity. I think many of those issues relate to how the iphone manages connections and battery usage. I am sure some iphone users can offer their insights on whether this is or is not an issue.

All that said, I would first try this. Start your bike and let everything else (phone and GPS) connect/synch first, then turn on your helmet communicator. A buddy of mine has had problems with his communicator (a Sena 50S) and his Goldwing, unless he waits to start the Sena after the Goldwing has started and giving time for his phone to synch with the bike before starting up the Sena.

If that procedure does not help, I would next trying wiping ALL the pairings on every device, and the bike, and then set up everything again.

As to firmware updates. If you are referring to the TFT firmware, unfortunately, I believe that firmware can only be updated by the dealer.

Let us know what you try and whether you are able to resolve the issue. This type of information is always useful to all of us. Good luck!

2021 f750gs
Android phone using for phone/music/navigation.
Packtalk Bold Slim (fully updated)

I've tried all sorts of variations in turn on or connection order.

If it's a firmware upgrade on the bike required, well, my dealership doesn't have any time available until September.

I've given up and I'm just using the phone-packtalk only now. That works perfectly.

Thanks though!

Here is what Cardo told me:
The best way to connect to a TFT is as follow,
The phone connects to the TFT's phone channel
The Cardo unit connects to the TFTs riders channel
GPS should be connected to the second channel as GPS.
But please be aware that once these devices are connected to the TFT it takes all priority and controls of the unit so it may not work same way as without bike.

Best regards.
Yurii,
End Quote

I'm still not connected to the TFT I pair the phone to the Cardo and the Garmin XT GPS as a GPS.
The Phone works in the headset, Pandora works for music, I can converse with Ms Google. I have direction voice disabled for now,

Back