• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bike storage after the rally

enriquez

Hello everybody,

I need to find a place where I can store my bike after the rally, for up to 5 months.

I just had a chat with the friendly folks at "Motorcycles Of Dulles" dealership, but unfortunately they don't offer this service.

I need to board a plane on Jun 12th at Dulles Airport, so the closer the better... :)

Any recommendations?

Regards,
Mario

Hello everybody,

I need to find a place where I can store my bike after the rally, for up to 5 months.

I just had a chat with the friendly folks at "Motorcycles Of Dulles" dealership, but unfortunately they don't offer this service.

I need to board a plane on Jun 12th at Dulles Airport, so the closer the better... :)

Any recommendations?

Regards,
Mario

Could get a small rental storage room. Disconnect the battery and park it in it for the 5 months. I would top off the fuel and add a stabilizer as well.

Could get a small rental storage room. Disconnect the battery and park it in it for the 5 months. I would top off the fuel and add a stabilizer as well.

I've never parked a bike for more than a couple of weeks, let alone, leaving unattended for months, and I'm concerned the bike won't be ready to ride when I return to pick up. (death battery or whatever).

Never used fuel stabilizer before.. would check this out.

Thank you, I will consider this option. :)

Regards,
Mario

When I moved from Ohio to NC I moved the bikes in stages. The bikes were stored in a climate controlled storage unit for as long as 6 months. I routinely use StaBil in my fuel (2 oz StaBil per 5 gal gas). When it came time to move the bikes from the storage unit to our house I found that I needed to use a battery Jump Starter and the tires needed to have air added. The storage unit was adjacent to a gas station, but the gas station air hose was more suited to cars and/or trucks than bikes. I ended up riding across the street to a body shop and giving them some money to let me use their air with a right-angle air chuck.

Battery Jump Starters can be found at Amazon and perhaps auto parts stores.

https://www.amazon.com/NEXPOW-Start...sprefix=car+battery+jumb+s,aps,95&sr=8-5&th=1

71GByDdsYKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

When I moved from Ohio to NC I moved the bikes in stages. The bikes were stored in a climate controlled storage unit for as long as 6 months. I routinely use StaBil in my fuel (2 oz StaBil per 5 gal gas). When it came time to move the bikes from the storage unit to our house I found that I needed to use a battery Jump Starter and the tires needed to have air added. The storage unit was adjacent to a gas station, but the gas station air hose was more suited to cars and/or trucks than bikes. I ended up riding across the street to a body shop and giving them some money to let me use their air with a right-angle air chuck.

Battery Jump Starters can be found at Amazon and perhaps auto parts stores.

https://www.amazon.com/NEXPOW-Start...sprefix=car+battery+jumb+s,aps,95&sr=8-5&th=1

View attachment 91540

Thank you for these tip!

Which storage size did you get?

Regards,
Mario

Several years ago I suffered lung damage from exposure to forest fire smoke. We rented an 8 foot by 10 foot storage unit and stored two bikes for a bit over a month. We bought a car and drove home. Then we later retrieved the bikes with a truck and trailer.

I think storage in a garage of a willing owner is a better solution but absent that, a small storage unit, fuel stabilizer (I use Stabil) and potentially a jump start upon retrieval will work just fine. I would disconnect the battery ground cable during storage to minimize any self discharge of the battery.

Several years ago I suffered lung damage from exposure to forest fire smoke. We rented an 8 foot by 10 foot storage unit and stored two bikes for a bit over a month. We bought a car and drove home. Then we later retrieved the bikes with a truck and trailer.

I think storage in a garage of a willing owner is a better solution but absent that, a small storage unit, fuel stabilizer (I use Stabil) and potentially a jump start upon retrieval will work just fine. I would disconnect the battery ground cable during storage to minimize any self discharge of the battery.

Thank you, then a 5 x 10 would for do for R1200RT I guess.

...Which storage size did you get?...

I actually rented 2 units that were adjacent. I believe that they were about 12 ft by 20 ft. One contained many of our household items. The other one contained 7 motorcycles. A unit that is 4 ft by 8 ft should plenty big enough for one bike plus saddlebags, etc. I did get units that had exterior roll-up doors. An interior unit would be a bit dodgey to get into and out of (depending on width of hall ways and number of right-angle turns necessary).

I actually rented 2 units that were adjacent. I believe that they were about 12 ft by 20 ft. One contained many of our household items. The other one contained 7 motorcycles. A unit that is 4 ft by 8 ft should plenty big enough for one bike plus saddlebags, etc. I did get units that had exterior roll-up doors. An interior unit would be a bit dodgey to get into and out of (depending on width of hall ways and number of right-angle turns necessary).

Thank you!

The OP doesn't mention what bike he has. My K1600 is a bit longer than 8ft, even with the top case removed. And with its width, no way it would fit in a 4ftx8ft space diagonally.

The OP doesn't mention what bike he has. My K1600 is a bit longer than 8ft, even with the top case removed. And with its width, no way it would fit in a 4ftx8ft space diagonally.

He said "Thank you, then a 5 x 10 would for do for R1200RT I guess."

What he said ^^^^^^^

I would also suggest that you top off with ethanol free fuel if you can find some. It will last longer than Ethanol fuel (still use the stabilizer), regardless of the ethanol percentages.

Back