• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bike Insurance

Think Twice About Markel

The ironic thing is, I would prefer to have Markel. They seem like a stand up company. I'd prefer to give my money to them and if they price matched and stuck with that price for than a year, I'd switch. But insurance, for the most part is simply me giving money to someone else, and the less I pay the better.

This is a repost from an earlier thread.....

"Machinations At Markel Insurance
I am starting my third year with Markel Insurance. Although I’ve not had occasion to file a claim, I have been pleased with their service and rates. Last year I insured four bikes, with full coverage for under $800. Imagine my displeasure when I got my renewal and the charge for the next year was $1200. The new rate does include a fifth bike, but all the bikes went up in cost and the new bike accounted for only about 50% of the hike. I noticed a letter at the bottom of the electronic copy of my new policy. It essentially said I was now considered a high-risk client and that this decision was made based on a report they got from a company called Lexus-Nexus. Specifically the element of the report that primarily influenced my rating was,” % OF ACCOUNTS REPORTED IN LAST 24 MONTHS TO TOTAL ACCOUNTS ON FILE.” I’m not really sure I know what that means, but they say they got it from a credit report.

Now to fully understand why I’m feeling ill-treated in this situation, one needs to know some facts about me. No moving violations in the last 25 years, no claims… ever, credit scores on all three agencies above 800 and an auto insurance rating over 900 on a scale that tops at 950. One would think I would get the rates assigned to low risk, preferred people, and in fact I do for the insurance on our other vehicles (that company, USAA, does not insure motorcycles directly).

So what to do? Only choice is to enter into the bureaucratic abyss of two large companies and, as it turns out, the Great State of Montana.

The simplified version after many phone calls:

Lexus-Nexus: They base their rating on a report provided by one of the rating agencies and if I want to see it I must send a letter. They go on to say that Markel chose what factors from the report Lexus-Nexus should weight. Nothing they can do for me… talk to Markel.

Markel: They must accept what Lexus-Nexus gives them and that that Lexus-Nexus uses a proprietary formula to establish a rating. Yes, Markel does tell Lexus-Nexus what elements of the report to weight. The State of Montana requires insurance companies to check the rating of their customers every third renewal and the insurance company must use the results of that check to assign rates based upon a state approved table. Markel cannot change the rating or rates without breaking the law. Nothing they can do for me… talk to Lexus-Nexus.

I spoke to a very polite guy at Markel who had an immensely long title. He lamented with me about the unfairness of my situation, assured me that I’m not the first with this sort of complaint, informed me that my complaint would be considered the next time their contract with Lexus-Nexus comes up for renewal, and advised me to talk to Lexus-Nexus.

My final comment to the Markel rep was that I was not going to continue to be bounced back and forth between the two companies and that if he valued me (and the others with similar complaints) as customers he would work with Lexus-Nexus to ensure well qualified customers are not being ill treated. I got the distinct impression that my value to Markel has its limits.

So what’s next? I will be looking for a local agent that can provide me insurance at a reasonable rate and most importantly, face-to-face customer service. When we lived in AK I used Allstate. Their rates were higher, but I had an agent that would let me change the status of bikes to storage or full coverage by making a simple phone call. When all was said and done with the savings of paying just storage rates much of the time, Allstate was very competitive. In the meantime I’m stuck with Markel, but in fact even though I’m classified right alongside a three-time loser on grand theft auto charges, $100 per month for full coverage ($1000 deductible) on five bikes is not horrible. But it’s the damn principle of the thing. I worked hard to establish a good reputation and now I feel as if I'm being treated like a drunken test pilot."

I've had Progressive for years. No claims, always paid in full up front. My only moving violation ever was for speeding in a school zone back in 1982 ON A BICYCLE! But my rates went up year after year despite them tacking on various discounts. After reading this thread I called around. Allstate offered better coverage for the same price. Geico was $325 less per year for better coverage. I called Progressive and explained the situation to Flo. She offered to drop my rates $17 per year if I went paperless.

I'm now with Geico (and Good Sam Club RV insurance for emergency towing with no limit on mileage).

Kinda hard to believe, but GMAC does it for me

I went with a local agent years ago who shopped around for me. We've continued to ping him occasionally when we thing something might be better, ie; GEICO. He told me he couldn't touch GEICO for car insurance, but for motorcycles he was able to beat them by a lot. It originally said GMAC, now the card says Integon National a division of GMAC. I take that back, I guess it's National Insurance Company. Sheesh, check out this incredible shell game of companies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMAC_Insurance

I have always used Dairyland for many years now. Have had a couple of claims over the years. Here's my trick to keep the premiums at a reasonable level: every couple of years I do an online comparison for quotes, and when my Dairyland premiums are significantly higher (sometimes my current cost is already one of the lowest) than others on the web, here is what I do ...

... I call (not online) and review my policy with the company. There is always a discount or some kind, or two or three discounts, that I qualify for but not been offered automatically. I complain and she apologizes (not particularly sincerely) for the "oversight" and quickly lowers my premiums. I go away happy. Result: I have no record of skipping around from company to company, but my insurance costs stay pretty reasonable, I think. MAJOR PLUS: Dairyland has been GREAT about settling my few claims; I have no complaints at all about their service.

My only complaint is this: why do not insurance companies AUTOMATICALLY apply all discounts to their customers? (the answer is obvious, but I still wonder why).

My only complaint is this: why do not insurance companies AUTOMATICALLY apply all discounts to their customers? (the answer is obvious, but I still wonder why).

For the same reason the cable/satellite/cellphone companies aren't giving you the same deal as an existing subscriber that they will give to a new customer--because they can. And they can, because people don't complain about it--they just keep paying the subscription fees. Adam Smith's much-vaunted invisible hand only works if it is exercised and on a somewhat level playing field, and the corporate world has gotten very good at lulling people into keeping that hand at rest.

Best,

DG

USAA if...

If you're eligible to get USAA and live in California, they are much less than any other insurer. I have one bike insured with them now, and it's carried as a second vehicle on my auto policy so I get a multi vehicle discount. I called to check on adding a new RT, and the system routed me over to Progressive, who underwrites USAA's motorcycle coverage in many states. Just for grins I asked what it would be to insure the two bikes and they quoted me something like $2,700 a year for both. Called USAA back and made sure to check with the USAA policy folks and the coverage for both bikes is closer to $650 a year. Huge difference. I'm in the insurance business and can tell you that it pays to shop around.

You guys in the states certainly have it complicated - but checking around can save major bucks.

Here in British Columbia, Canada there is mandatory coverage from ICBC - and it ain't cheap, even with no claims or recent tickets. Fire, theft, collision, etc. can be purchased elsewhere for a bit less. Our provincial government periodically raids this "independent" branch of the government for funds. Keeps taxes down, you know. (Where is the snarl icon?)

Original Quote of akbeemer

In the meantime I’m stuck with Markel, but in fact even though I’m classified right alongside a three-time loser on grand theft auto charges, $100 per month for full coverage ($1000 deductible) on five bikes is not horrible. But it’s the damn principle of the thing. I worked hard to establish a good reputation and now I feel as if I'm being treated like a drunken test pilot."

I got back into riding full time again five years ago after a much too long hiatus....(30+ yrs).... I live in Ontario Canada and ride a year 2000 1100RT.......five years ago I was paying $850 a year for $1,000,000 liability, $1000 deductable and fire and theft. My rates have climbed every year since. This year, my insurer will allow me to renew for only $1265. When I inquired why my rates have escalated over the years when I have had no speeding tickets or accidents I was told that someone has to pay for the insurance companies payouts. I will be looking for another insurer,and hopefully I will find one. I envy you folks south of the border.....your rates are far better than mine

I am in Virginia, and ended up with American Modern through my independent agent. Erie has about 6 cars for me, but were not competitive on the bike (1200RT). Progressive and Geico were both significantly higher than American Modern.

I did some searching around and combined my auto,home and now motorcycle insurance with one company.....CUMIS......Have full coverage and I saved $500 on the bike insurance alone. :dance

Back