• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best New RT photos yet..

Overall, I like the changes, especially the more open look around the engine and the cockpit layout. It will be interesting to see what kind of reliability problems arise. Hopefully the switch issues that have plagued recent models have been corrected.

18,200 Euros or a whisker under $25K.:whistle

You can't equate BMW prices directly between international markets. They charge what they believe the market will bear in a particular country. The US is very price sensitive and tends to have lower car and bike prices for the same models.

The wethead RT is cheaper in Canada than the outgoing model, in spite of increased content such as standard ASC. Based on a straight Euro to Canadian dollar conversion, the E18,200 price would be $25,600CAD. Base price is listed as $20,850 CAD on the BMW Canada website. The old RT was a few thousand cheaper in the US than Canada, so I expect that trend will continue.

You can't equate BMW prices directly between international markets. They charge what they believe the market will bear in a particular country. The US is very price sensitive and tends to have lower car and bike prices for the same models.

The wethead RT is cheaper in Canada than the outgoing model, in spite of increased content such as standard ASC. Based on a straight Euro to Canadian dollar conversion, the E18,200 price would be $25,600CAD. Base price is listed as $20,850 CAD on the BMW Canada website. The old RT was a few thousand cheaper in the US than Canada, so I expect that trend will continue.

Thanks for putting the price in perspective for the US buyer. Yes, I believe you. While touring this summer we talked to some German tourists riding H-D's down the PCH. They told me BMW's were much cheaper in the US than Germany and that H-D's were 30% more than the German BMW's.

Thanks for putting the price in perspective for the US buyer. Yes, I believe you. While touring this summer we talked to some German tourists riding H-D's down the PCH. They told me BMW's were much cheaper in the US than Germany and that H-D's were 30% more than the German BMW's.

I wonder how taxes and tariffs figure into foreign pricing?

I wonder how taxes and tariffs figure into foreign pricing?

Taxes and tariffs are based on transfer pricing which is being set to achive competitive pricing. Remember the S1000RR. These bikes were priced ridiculously low in the U.S. compared to Germany. You still pay more for a 1 to 2 year old used RR in Germany than you do for a new one in the U.S.
Audis, BMWs, Porsches and Mercedeses are less expensive in the U.S. than comparable models are in Germany
Expect a base price for an RT to be around 18.5K, maybe a touch less. Add 3.5K for a fully loaded model.

Taxes and tariffs are based on transfer pricing which is being set to achive competitive pricing. Remember the S1000RR. These bikes were priced ridiculously low in the U.S. compared to Germany. You still pay more for a 1 to 2 year old used RR in Germany than you do for a new one in the U.S.
Audis, BMWs, Porsches and Mercedeses are less expensive in the U.S. than comparable models are in Germany
Expect a base price for an RT to be around 18.5K, maybe a touch less. Add 3.5K for a fully loaded model.

I have yet to see a stripped down BMW model in the showroom. Just saying. It doesn't exist. What I usually see is a well outfitted version and then one with everything, so two different levels. I got the former with my bike: No TPM, ASC or radio, but everything else. May be that's why it was a leftover. Even so, 22K is a lot of 'scarole. I paid 17,2 for mine, plus the topcase and I think it came out to 18K or a little less plus tax. Where I live now the new RT would be 24K+ OTD for a loaded model. Ouch.

The times that the top-of-the-line boxer model could be had for $12,000.- are long gone. Compare the RT to a Harley Dresser and the price will be in perspective.

The times that the top-of-the-line boxer model could be had for $12,000.- are long gone. Compare the RT to a Harley Dresser and the price will be in perspective.

Yes, the Harley Electra Glide base price is $23,250. I think a loaded RT is about $22,000.

Yes, the Harley Electra Glide base price is $23,250. I think a loaded RT is about $22,000.

I don't think a HD would be a good pick for me. Too cramped for rider and passenger. The wife liked the look of the Chieftain though. She hates my RT, won't ride on it.

Darn. You'll just have to ride that RT solo. :)

and that is what happens. The thing is, when she saw a picture of the Chieftain, it opened a conversation. She told me she doesn't like the RT as it's too cramped and it's a "plastic" bike. She thinks that a real bike has most things exposed as a cruiser does. She then told me she preferred the Nomad I had and would ride with me if I had such a bike again. While I would love it if she rode with me, I know I wouldn't like the cruiser as much for solo riding for the most part. That said, I like the way Indians and HDs look too, but in the HDs case, I've ridden it and at 6'5 300+ and my wife 5'10 200, it's not going to be any better. The HD is designed optimally for people 5'10 and under. The only bike I think would accommodate both of us satifactorily is a Victory XCT or may be Vision. I just don't like the Ness LSD inspired designs. They Indian is an unknown quantity. So, I guess I'll be riding the RT solo for awhile.

I don't think a HD would be a good pick for me. Too cramped for rider and passenger. The wife liked the look of the Chieftain though. She hates my RT, won't ride on it.

My wife and I took a test ride on the HD Ultra and she hated it, she loves our 05 RT tho :heart

My wife and I took a test ride on the HD Ultra and she hated it, she loves our 05 RT tho :heart

You and your wife probably aren't built like us. Just saying. I don't think the HD would be much better. The Victory would be, but I hate they way they look.

You and your wife probably aren't built like us. Just saying. I don't think the HD would be much better. The Victory would be, but I hate they way they look.

We are just a average mid to late 50's couple. I am short, bald and chubby, she is tall, thin and beautiful ;)

I don't think a HD would be a good pick for me. Too cramped for rider....

The leg room is certainly cramped, but you can stretch out nice with highway bars (I just don't like cornering, feet forward). Beats hanging the back of your knee over a boxer cylinder. :)

The leg room is certainly cramped, but you can stretch out nice with highway bars (I just don't like cornering, feet forward). Beats hanging the back of your knee over a boxer cylinder. :)

My feet go past the highway bars on a HD. It's tight for a cruiser, at least for me, leg room and otherwise. As far my my RT, I can't put my legs on the jugs. I usually let one of my legs hang down a bit for relief.

My feet go past the highway bars on a HD. It's tight for a cruiser, at least for me, leg room and otherwise. As far my my RT, I can't put my legs on the jugs. I usually let one of my legs hang down a bit for relief.

I missed that you're 6'5", so you would need a lot of room. I'm 6'1" with a 35" inseam. My Hexhead is an ST, which may explain why I can put my legs over the jugs. I just hang one leg at a time, so I don't get into any trouble. :) I only do that when I'm on the slab, and have been in the saddle for many hours.

I missed that you're 6'5", so you would need a lot of room. I'm 6'1" with a 35" inseam. My Hexhead is an ST, which may explain why I can put my legs over the jugs. I just hang one leg at a time, so I don't get into any trouble. :) I only do that when I'm on the slab, and have been in the saddle for many hours.

34" inseam and over 300# too.

Back