• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bent Font Wheel 2012 1200 GS

Davesbmw

I hit a very large pot hole while riding and bent the front wheel on the GS.
Have it down at Woody's Wheel Works for repair.
After reading the replacement procedures for the two front rotors the BMW shop manual recommends replacing the 10 bolt that secure them to the hub.
Is this really required or can you clean up the old bolts and add a loctite to them and reuse them ?
These are not small bolts and the torque is only 19 nm

Thanks
Dave

you're talking about the caliper mounting bolts, right? not 100% sure if you can reuse or not... but my R11S has had its wheel and calipers off dozens of time, still using the original bolts, always torqued to spec (29.5 lb ft), never used loctite, never had the wheel wander off on its own.

btw- we're nearly neighbors. i live in Loveland, but work in Windsor. feel free ti PM me about going for a ride some time, if'fn you'd like.

I hit a very large pot hole while riding and bent the front wheel on the GS.
Have it down at Woody's Wheel Works for repair.
After reading the replacement procedures for the two front rotors the BMW shop manual recommends replacing the 10 bolt that secure them to the hub.
Is this really required or can you clean up the old bolts and add a loctite to them and reuse them ?
These are not small bolts and the torque is only 19 nm

Thanks
Dave

were it my GS, i would clean, Loctite 243 the bolts and reuse them.....

best to wire brush the threads on the bolts and chase the internal threads of the hub with a tap...then clean with brake cleaner...

wyman

you're talking about the caliper mounting bolts, right? not 100% sure if you can reuse or not... but my R11S has had its wheel and calipers off dozens of time, still using the original bolts, always torqued to spec (29.5 lb ft), never used loctite, never had the wheel wander off on its own.

btw- we're nearly neighbors. i live in Loveland, but work in Windsor. feel free ti PM me about going for a ride some time, if'fn you'd like.

I might not have made my self clear. yes the mounting bolts for the disk 10 in total.
the round things the calipers clamp on to bring you to a stop. The disk or rotors not the calipers.
But yes let's go for a ride
Thanks
Dave

were it my GS, i would clean, Loctite 243 the bolts and reuse them.....

I would do something similar... but after the clean step I'd make sure the screws fit the holes and could be threaded without using tools. If not the screws are possibly stretched in which case new screws would be appropriate.

FWIW I was able to reuse the screws when changing the rear rotor on my '05 GS.

I would do something similar... but after the clean step I'd make sure the screws fit the holes and could be threaded without using tools. If not the screws are possibly stretched in which case new screws would be appropriate.

FWIW I was able to reuse the screws when changing the rear rotor on my '05 GS.

i would seriously doubt that 19nm (14ft/lbs) would stretch the rotor bolts

But who knows what ancillary damage a hit to the wheel enough to send it out for repair will do. It only takes a minute to check.

It's more of safety and liability issue than anything else. Not worth taking the chance. Have wrenched on other makes and models including HD and the books say the same thing: "discard and replace".

Back