• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery Vent Tube

pschuyler

Fellow Headz

I wanted to know if a 1977 R100S needs a vent tube for the battery, did they originally have them? The Cylmer manual does not specify this year.

Keywords: R100S, battery, vent, tube

All the BMW's from that era had vented batteries, with vent hoses. Most of those sold thru the dealer were the brands were Varta or Marag. The dealer would fill them with acid. Most came with a little plastic elbow U pushed thru a small opening to break the seal. The hose ran down the side of the battery thru a small opening in the frame and just low enough to keep the acid fumes from corroding the frame. I've moved on to sealed batteries so I don't worry about filling and acid fumes.

need for vent tube is based entirely and solely upon type of battery, and has nothing to do with type/model of bike (unless you're going for a Concourse restoration).
if you run a lead/acid battery that gets filled with water, you need a vent tube. if you run any version of a glass-mat or sealed battery, a vent tube is unnecessary (and likely does not even have option for placement).

Most of the lead acid batteries for airheads are vented on the left side, and if you park the bike on the kickstand without a tube attached to the vent, acid can spill on your bike's frame and swing arm. As old as these bikes are, I'm sure a few of us have seen this happen, or evidence of it.

Back