• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bad alternator?

I don’t think the “choke” is hooked up, I get no resistance and notice no change when adjusted. Haven’t really had to use it much, it’s quite warm here.

Good to know, I was reading people say you don’t adjust iridium plugs. Got a good deal through work so got them. Guess I will check and carefully make the adjustment.
Book says .8mm, I’ve read .031” which I think is almost the same. Then I’ve read .04” somewhere worked better for a fellow?

Get that "choke" cable adjusted properly. I have a feeling this is one of the sources of your problem.

Until you get the bike to start on demand your plug gap should be about what the book says. After that, you can start experimenting. And yes, you had better ensure you have good contact between the stick coil and the plug.

Thanks, I’ll have to check into what the cable is doing.

Bike feels a bit better with new plugs, even shifts slightly smoother.
Still have to crank the throttle when cold starting, feels like a carbureted bike on cold start, idles at 900 till warm.

I forgot that I adjusted the little xied computer the previous owner had hooked up. Remembered this the other day thinking of anything I may have done. I lowered the knob in hopes to get better mileage. I did get better mileage. The starting issue started a week and a half or so after that adjustment, so I can’t say that’s the reason. I did turn the adjuster up on the xied a click or two tonight, see if that adds more fuel at start up.
when doing this, found the cause for the oil leak I noticed the other day.
The left cam chain tensioner had a drip coming from it. Just strapped up my fishing pole ready to go get a tarpon, started the bike and had a look, because I cleaned it earlier, and damn, it’s almost a steady drip.
It took a 15mm wrench so it’s updated, could barely tighten it with a regular spanner, tight area, but managed to get a little tighter.

Gotta keep an eye on the coil, engine runs good, so I’m assuming it’s got a good connection. Maybe I can get a cheap ebay one.

Had a look, doesn’t even have a “choke” cable hooked up to the grip. I’ll have to take things apart and see what’s going on.

Funny enough, truck wouldn’t start this morning, forced to take the bike in the rain, thing fired right up. After work, had to hold down the starter and crank the gas to get it to start again, it’s pretty much every time.

Maybe I pinched a hose or wire under the gas tank.

Had a look, doesn’t even have a “choke” cable hooked up to the grip. I’ll have to take things apart and see what’s going on.

Funny enough, truck wouldn’t start this morning, forced to take the bike in the rain, thing fired right up. After work, had to hold down the starter and crank the gas to get it to start again, it’s pretty much every time.

Maybe I pinched a hose or wire under the gas tank.

The "choke" cable simply opens the throttle bodies a little bit. Absent the cable most of these bikes would not start cold without opening the throttle bodies a little bit by turning the twist grip.

Heard that.
Thing is when I bought the bike, it would start up fine, no throttle twisting at all. Then it started NOT starting until I give it gas, and I mean really cranking it on off, full on, really having to mess with the throttle.
Once it starts it seems to run fine, nothing noticeable as far as hiccups or rough running.

Either not getting enough fuel, or not getting a good spark. I’d assume.

Just got a new starter thinking of putting that in, doubt it’ll make a difference though.
I need to look and see maybe I loosened a plug or something under the tank.
Plus the right main coil stick comes off by hand. Maybe bad ignition coils or coil stick? Gotta keep looking. I’m not going to pay a few hundred to a dealer when it can’t be that hard of a thing. I’m just a novice.

Anyone know if a coil stick replacement? BMW gets almost 150, internet shows around 100ish. Maybe there is a cheaper one that has the same size a specs someone knows of?

Over the past few days I’ve been turning the ignition key on, turning full throttle twice and hitting the ignition button, most of the time it starts up. If it doesn’t start after a couple seconds i stop, crank the throttle again, hit the button again, starts up. I don’t think that’s actually sending any fuel, but maybe it is. I need to check into this choke cable, and make the home made carb balancer I saw one of these YouTube guys make, so I can get the idle up another 1 or 200rpm.

Back