• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

AutoZone Oil Sale

Mechanical interest/awareness/etc

With respect to the lack of mechanical interest among "youth" as discussed early in the thread....I highly recommend a book called "Shop Class as Soulcraft"....it deals with this subject.....many on/in MOA and this forum will identify easily!!! :thumb

I mention to the girl ringing me up that I guess they are having a sale after all. Vacant stare, mouth open.

I think her sister works at our Auto Zone :).

And neither one of them can make change w/o the register telling them how much it is. :banghead

Try giving them some extra to get an even $5.00 back and they push it back at you because you "gave them too much".:dance

Jay Leno wrote an article for Popular Mechanics several years ago lamenting the lack of interest and knowledge of basic mechanics by the youth of the time. He used as an example his belief that when he was a teenager that he and most of friends had removed a transmission and replaced a clutch on a car. He compared it to the youth of the day who he believed could not use a clutch and did not know what a clutch was for.

All my kids and wife drive stick, and my kids to most of their own repairs, the wife not so much!

Funny story on mechanical prowess of youth today. My son comes home one day from high school, grousing about his buddy who had a small mechanical problem with his car. My son had to help him do a minor repair, and my son was almost late to his job. He is going on about how stupid and helpless they are when it comes to mechanical things.

I let him vent, then just patted him on the shoulder and said "your welcome". It took him a second to realize what I meant.

I let him vent, then just patted him on the shoulder and said "your welcome". It took him a second to realize what I meant.

My dad kinda did the same to me...way back. :scratch I am glad he did.

My son had a glimmer after I showed him ONCE how to replace the u-joints in his Ranger when he was in high school.
He got it on his second set:thumb

I came across a group of 4 20 y/o guys at the post office one night trying to figure out how to jump start a car. They had no idea. I knew how to do that before I could drive. Of course my dad was an auto shop teacher, so I had a head start.

It gets worse. I was helping my nephew repair the damaged front end of his Cherokee. I started the bolts to hold the radiator shroud and handed him the ratchet to finish tightening the bolts. I had to explain to the seventeen-year-old how to use a ratchet. Apparently, I didn't do a very good job because as I was puting the bolts in from underneath, I heard a loud bang as he torqued the bolt head right off the bolt. Ah well, he later rear ended another car and ended the poor Cherokee.

You really can't blame the kids entirely, you have to be taught these things, so parents carry a lot of the fault. Over protective, don't get dirty, don't go outside, throw it away rather than fix it etc.

You really can't blame the kids entirely, you have to be taught these things, so parents carry a lot of the fault. Over protective, don't get dirty, don't go outside, throw it away rather than fix it etc.

+1

I came across a group of 4 20 y/o guys at the post office one night trying to figure out how to jump start a car. They had no idea. I knew how to do that before I could drive. Of course my dad was an auto shop teacher, so I had a head start.

Jump starting an old car was easy. So what if a few sparks flew......

New cars are a different story. Be careful that you don't fry one of the computers in the electrical system.

Jump starting an old car was easy. So what if a few sparks flew......

New cars are a different story. Be careful that you don't fry one of the computers in the electrical system.

Yep, kids nowadays are awful. Except my kids and my grandkids. They are wonderful.:banghead

Yep, kids nowadays are awful. Except my kids and my grandkids. They are wonderful.:banghead

Could classify this as a hijack, but Paul started it....

+5....4 here and one just 6 days old.

Attachments

• IMG_4695.jpg
    IMG_4695.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3774.jpg
    IMG_3774.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 51
Careful... next thing ya know they'll be listening to Elvis on their Walkmans and swinging their hips around like GoGo Girls.:dance

Back