• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

AutoZone Oil Sale

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
So I go to Autozone. Three staff are standing at the front of the store. I ask if they are having a sale on motorcycle oil; all three say no. I walk back to the oil area and there is Valvoline Syn 20W-50 priced at $5 (normally $9.99). I take all seven quarts they have and it rings up at $21. There is a $2 a quart discount. I mention to the girl ringing me up that I guess they are having a sale after all. Vacant stare, mouth open.

$3 a quart is okay. Check it out. 10W-40 was still $9.99.

I don't know who is going to really repair things after the old guys :gerg are gone.
Go in and ask for a group 27 battery, the reply will be "what's it fit?".
OM

Jay Leno wrote an article for Popular Mechanics several years ago lamenting the lack of interest and knowledge of basic mechanics by the youth of the time. He used as an example his belief that when he was a teenager that he and most of friends had removed a transmission and replaced a clutch on a car. He compared it to the youth of the day who he believed could not use a clutch and did not know what a clutch was for.

As we get off track from you first post, teenagers don't have to know how to fix things. My primary example of this is back when I was in high school :gerg at the end of the day, someone always needed a jump. I don't remember anyone driving a vehicle as nice as I see in the high school parking lot as a matter of course.
It would seem that in my neck of the woods?, a big mechanical event........is pumping their own fuel. I did see a young-un changing a flat for his friend the other day and I commended him on his knowing how and being able to do it.
OM

A bit of back story first...buddy of mine is an open wheel race car engineer. The collection of hardware we have access to would have, in our teenage years, sent me and my friends into fits of orgasmic elation.

Now, his teenage kid and their friends could not care less about mechanical conveyances. Its not like they're computer geeks living in front of their computer screens playing games. They're typical, athletic teenagers. I don't get it.

More thread derail material......

Attachments

• IMG_20140320_105849.jpg
    IMG_20140320_105849.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 415
No problem with the change in direction. This thread had a very high potential to become an "oil" thread. Thank goodness it has headed in a more interesting direction.

Now, his teenage kid and their friends could not care less about mechanical conveyances. Its not like they're computer geeks living in front of their computer screens playing games. They're typical, athletic teenagers. I don't get it.

Considering that an athlete, in their world, could earn millions in one season and an engineer will likely face an unstable career with numerous job relocations, why should they be interested? The electro-mechanical technical world is for people in other countries that design and create our world. Somehow, we're above such mundane things.

Let's face it. Compared to the $500 clunkers my friends and I drove back in our misspent youth, :brad cars and bikes today need very few repairs, even as they get older. Many of those repairs are simply beyond the reach of anyone without expensive electronic diagnostic tools. Not to say one shouldn't know how to use basic tools or which way to turn a screw when those kind of fixes come along.

The standard joke when I was in the clunker group was that you could double the value of your car by filling the gas tank. If you look at the parking lots at any suburban high school you can tell the teachers' lot (5-year old Camrys and Subaru Foresters) from the students' lot (Jeeps, Camaros, Nissan Z) The parents arrive to pick up their pre-driving age kids in black SUVs. Think anyone knows how to change a flat tire? :dunno

Rant over. I feel better now.

Pete :violin

Getting back to Valvoline 20-50 (oh forgive me)...

Their non-synthetic VR1 is rated SG, but also has a tiny little note on the label that it's "not for extended use in vehicles with catalytic converters" (guess the by-products clog it?). I bought some when it was on sale (a very good sale), and I noticed that it turns dark more quickly than BMW/Spectro oil.

(BC - I wanna ride in that!)

Getting back to Valvoline 20-50 (oh forgive me)...

Their non-synthetic VR1 is rated SG, but also has a tiny little note on the label that it's "not for extended use in vehicles with catalytic converters" (guess the by-products clog it?). I bought some when it was on sale (a very good sale), and I noticed that it turns dark more quickly than BMW/Spectro oil.

(BC - I wanna ride in that!)

OIL THREAD ALERT!!!

From what I read, VR1 is a low-detergent oil meaning that when it is visibly dirty (dark) it should be changed. Perhaps there's a reason it was on sale. :confused:

Oh, and sorry, no passenger seat in the Wolfmobile. :D

OIL THREAD ALERT!!!

From what I read, VR1 is a low-detergent oil meaning that when it is visibly dirty (dark) it should be changed. Perhaps there's a reason it was on sale. :confused:

Oh, and sorry, no passenger seat in the Wolfmobile. :D

It was the synthetic that was on sale, not the VR1.

Remember, the purpose of all oil threads is to convince everyone else that your perfectly acceptable choice of oil is better than their perfectly acceptable choice of oil. This is done by presenting anecdotal information and then extrapolating to "prove" that your choice is the best oil ever made. But, of course, you would be in error, because my choice of oils (and I have several) are the best.

My Oil Must be the best ...

It was the synthetic that was on sale, not the VR1.

Remember, the purpose of all oil threads is to convince everyone else that your perfectly acceptable choice of oil is better than their perfectly acceptable choice of oil. This is done by presenting anecdotal information and then extrapolating to "prove" that your choice is the best oil ever made. But, of course, you would be in error, because my choice of oils (and I have several) are the best.

... because, when I come to a stop, the "Bord Computer" display says Oil and there is a nice big check mark beside it. :dance:dance

But, of course, you would be in error, because my choice of oils (and I have several) are the best.

How can that be? MY choice of oil is MUCH better than yours. And I can PROVE it (with anecdotal references and vague pet theories). :laugh

I took a quart of that Valvoline to the counter to see what it would ring up at on the computer. Came up as $5 and did not qualify for the $2 per quart discount sale because the fine print said "regular price $5.99-$11.99". Still a full synthetic Valvoline motorcycle oil every day price for 5 bucks a quart is a nice deal. I bought the Mobil 1 20w50 V-Twin motorcycle oil for the discounted price of $8.99 per. Old habits and preferences are hard to change.

Back