• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Automatic Compression Release, ACR

wdt650

I have a 2012 GS650 which I've had in the shop four times because it has trouble started when warmed up. Each time I was told the ACR needed adjusted, but when I took it in for the 12k mile service I mentioned the problem, again, but this time, after the tech looked at the bike, I was told that there was a recall for this problem. The service writer that I saw when I picked up the bike said he didn't even know that this recall existed, so if any of you have this same problem make sure to mention the recall to the service writer just in case he/she doesn't know about it.

I have the same bike as you-also same year & mine got the "hot start problem fix" via a service bulletin-not a recall. I'm real certain the guy I bought my low mileage MC from wishes there had been a recall!:laugh It caused him a lot of grief. There is/was a time factor on getting the fix done-unless you have warranty left then I suppose it gets done anyway. Either way check with dealer to see if you VIN falls into the problem group.
There seems to have been a bunch of dealers that failed to take a proactive approach to the fix. My prior owner took this MC to the selling dealer in ATL & they didn't do the correct repair but did install a new OEM battery(crapo battery now lives in my Kawasaki Mule) and sent him away. he later got it properly fixed at Pensacola dealer. If you have the non-sealed OEM battery best to get it out soon & the "fix" too, if applies.
The problem is widely discussed on Thumpers @ ADV.

I have the same bike as you-also same year & mine got the "hot start problem fix" via a service bulletin-not a recall. I'm real certain the guy I bought my low mileage MC from wishes there had been a recall!:laugh It caused him a lot of grief. There is/was a time factor on getting the fix done-unless you have warranty left then I suppose it gets done anyway. Either way check with dealer to see if you VIN falls into the problem group.
There seems to have been a bunch of dealers that failed to take a proactive approach to the fix. My prior owner took this MC to the selling dealer in ATL & they didn't do the correct repair but did install a new OEM battery(crapo battery now lives in my Kawasaki Mule) and sent him away. he later got it properly fixed at Pensacola dealer. If you have the non-sealed OEM battery best to get it out soon & the "fix" too, if applies.
The problem is widely discussed on Thumpers @ ADV.

Wow, sounds just like my experience! I took the bike in five times before it was fixed,(at least I hope it's fixed). The techs did everything but what needed to be done to fix the problem, including the battery replacement. On the fourth visit, when they finally admitted there was a problem they didn't have the parts to do the fix,(I had to wait three weeks for the parts). It took three days to fix the bike so I asked the service writer what took so long, he said because it's a big job and alot of stuff has to come off the engine in order to get to the affected parts. Being an ex service writer myself I know that dealers don't like doing warranty work because it only pays half the shop rate. I was out of town the day after I got the bike back so I'm just getting around to putting some miles on it. I don't know if it's fixed or not. As soon as I'm sure it's fixed the bike goes on the market, I'm tired of schlepping it back and forth to the dealer.

"My seller" was going to a "hard duty station" & also a bit discouraged by his bike having made him late to work several times at his military job as an instructor pilot. After the "real fix" it hasn't missed a beat since-I really like the ride of this smaller bike.

"My seller" was going to a "hard duty station" & also a bit discouraged by his bike having made him late to work several times at his military job as an instructor pilot. After the "real fix" it hasn't missed a beat since-I really like the ride of this smaller bike.

I guess that's part of the issue why I want to get rid of the bike, after over 2 years of dealing with it I find that I can't trust it to get me where I want to go. I only use it as a commuter bike so when it lets me down I'm not out in the middle of no where.

Back