• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Appalachian Roads

So if I manage to cover 2500 miles between here and there, even though Google Maps insists it's only 1100 miles, that would qualify as a Pre-rally? Is beer required to make it official? :scratch

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm looking forward to seeing all my previously unknown relatives in July!

It's as official as you want to make it. :drink

Using your standard my pre-rally will be very "official". :groovy

As an aside come on out and play with us this spring. Our first gig is the Frosty Nutz, fist weekend of May in Jamaica.... Vermont!

It's as official as you want to make it. :drink

As an aside come on out and play with us this spring. Our first gig is the Frosty Nutz, fist weekend of May in Jamaica.... Vermont!

Wow, that's pretty late in the season! I make it a point to get the first ride in before the end of March. That's sometimes a real challenge, since I live at 1500' on a dirt road. Last March 30th all the paved roads were clear in the valley (albeit with snow still piled high on the shoulders) but my dirt road was still half a mile of ice. I tossed some nylon slings around the bike and used my tractor to carry it to the pavement. Had a great ride, thanks to Gerbings, then came back, picked it up and tucked it back into the garage.

I'm having serious withdrawals! :wave

Wow, that's pretty late in the season! I make it a point to get the first ride in before the end of March. That's sometimes a real challenge, since I live at 1500' on a dirt road. Last March 30th all the paved roads were clear in the valley (albeit with snow still piled high on the shoulders) but my dirt road was still half a mile of ice. I tossed some nylon slings around the bike and used my tractor to carry it to the pavement. Had a great ride, thanks to Gerbings, then came back, picked it up and tucked it back into the garage.

I'm having serious withdrawals! :wave

That's priceless. :brow

did you just call me a poser?

And I'm not talking about hoisting your bike to pavement.

Last edited:
Mad Maps is worth buying for the area around the Dragon. I have ridden all of the roads marked. They are all very good, but there are roads just as challenging that are not marked. Get some locals to fine tune your routes.
325020439_tLw2P-L.jpg

Phil Daulton, BMW Riders of Knoxville

I'd like to add one thing about riding the Dragon. Expect lots of L.E.O. action.

State Highway police harassment to motorcyclists has gone way up since there were three fatalities there in the span of one week in 2008.

Take a look at tailofthedragon.com for details. Most smart locals stay away from there. There are many more fine roads in the area to be enjoyed with much less police harassment.

Thanks and enjoy your visit to East Tennessee!

Thanks for adding a good point.

I'd like to add one thing about riding the Dragon. Expect lots of L.E.O. action.

State Highway police harassment to motorcyclists has gone way up since there were three fatalities there in the span of one week in 2008.

Take a look at tailofthedragon.com for details. Most smart locals stay away from there. There are many more fine roads in the area to be enjoyed with much less police harassment.

Thanks and enjoy your visit to East Tennessee!

I avoid the dragon unless that is just the best way home under the circumstances. I live a few miles from that road.

You are right. There is no shortage of fine roads in this area.

Which Way!!?

Which direction is which?

Fred

Shucks, I can not remember for sure......Lets see, I usually go in from Tellico and if I remember correctly I get decreasing on the way out and increasing on the way back....maybe!

Does anyone else remember the answer to this? Oh well, it will be fun to verify this. Maybe I will write it down this time.

I will need to wait a few days though. It was 14 degrees F here last night with a wind chill of 4 or less! This global warming is messing with my motorcycling.

Which direction is which?

Fred

Decreasing radius-----going east from TN to NC---worst corner is mile marker 10 in NC where many people have gone down, even killed. The guardrails are dangerous.

Increasing radius------going west from NC to TN

Glenfiddich, I thought you'd be after the single malt:clap

I actually can't stand the stuff. The wife and I rescue and rehab abused golden retrievers. We found the easiest way to pick names for the dogs was to take them to the state liquor store where the staff helps pick names based on their color and personality. Killian Red, Molson, Talisker, Tetley, Tadcaster and Glenfiddich.

Some dogs are so special we can't bear to place them in another home, so we keep them. We were blessed to have him for ten wonderful years.

Glenfiddich, Prince of Dogs, 1996-2006

I actually can't stand the stuff. The wife and I rescue and rehab abused golden retrievers. We found the easiest way to pick names for the dogs was to take them to the state liquor store where the staff helps pick names based on their color and personality. Killian Red, Molson, Talisker, Tetley, Tadcaster and Glenfiddich.

Some dogs are so special we can't bear to place them in another home, so we keep them. We were blessed to have him for ten wonderful years.

Glenfiddich, Prince of Dogs, 1996-2006

good on ya for the rescues...we have a rescued Sheperd...

Back