• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The twistiest road in SC? Green River Cove to 26.

mjfink420

I'm not sure if it is, but, if not, it certainly is in contention for the title. This road is absolutely nuts climbing up to 26, honestly, it's almost too tight, you could have a blast on it if you were SURE nobody was coming (if you ride in a group and put some people at the top to let you know who is/isn't on the road), but if you ride it without a group, you really can't rip these curves, they are 180 after 180, and some of them are STEEP. I do this ride pretty often, it's a challenge to get up the mountain coming out of the river, but it's also a lot of fun when you get close the reservoir; lots of sweepers in there and generally very light traffic.

Here's a map of the fun parts:

And a video of the ride:

As always, any question, please feel free to ask.

I usually combine the switchbacks on Green River Cove Road with the switchbacks on Skyuka Mountain and White Oak Mountain Roads. I call it my Switchback Ride. Sometimes, our local riding group, the Sons and Daughters of Arthritis, do a ride that includes all three, but we usually run a non-switchback group because we have riders who won't ride them.

Here's the 8.2 miles of switchbacks on Skyuka Mountain and White Oak Mountain Roads...
1711243304636.png

Compared to the 1.7 miles of switchbacks on Green River Cove Road...
1711243429706.png

To add more fun in the same area, there's Buffalo Shoals Road going north on the east side of Lake Lure; the pic below includes both Buffalo Shoals and Buffalo Creek Roads for 4.5 miles of extreme twisties followed by another 4 miles of comparatively relaxing curvy sweepers. Ride it when the lake is closed; otherwise, you'll be tottering along behind lake traffic.
1711243762457.png

Nice maps Jerry. :thumb
OM

The pictures are from Kurviger. I would have attached gpx files, but apparently the most useful file type for sharing among motorcyclist's is not allowed. :mad:

Well, here's work around. This link below will open the route in Kurviger where you or anyone can export it as a gpx file. If you do this, do the export with only Track selected, i.e., unselect Waypoints and Route in the Export. This will produce a clean gpx file from which you can have a navigation device like the Nav VI calculate a route consistent with your device. Also, keep and display the Track on your device so you can see if your device deviated.

Enjoy.

I've been meaning to get over to visit Boxer2Valve in Hendersonville, NC at some point. Looks like some nice detours along the way.

Awesome, thank you so much, I'll build that route in Basecamp and ride it soon! I've done some of those roads (around Lure, obviously Green River Cove) but some of them are new to me..

Thank you!!

đź‘Ť to both ideas. Also, Andreani USA is right behind Wunderlich and Boxer2Valve if you need to discuss suspensions with someone deeply knowledgeable. They're all ~6 miles from my home west of Hendersonville. Speaking of which just west of Hvl, Google Jeter Mountain Road for another extra twisty ride.

Back