• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anyone try the Loobman chain oiler?

It's sold by aerostich/riderwearhouse, is somewhat similar to the Scottoiler, but does away with the need to tap into a vacuum source on the bike, and is much cheaper. Just wondering if it works as advertised. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

I have one in my garage... have not put it on the bike yet.

It is a "manual system" so is less complicated and less expensive.
With the provided reservoir it does look a bit ugly unless you can find a place to conceal it ... some folks won't care.
When I get around to installing it I think I will try to find a smaller reservoir that won't stand out as much...

As with all the oilers, an overly generous application will result in a back wheel that looks like it came off "spin-art" machine that only offered black paint :whistle

I think that once you get the hang of how much to put on it should work fine (so long as you do not forget.... :whistle )

Here is the mfg. web site - lots of pictures of installations:

http://www.chainoiler.co.uk

Jim

No problem, I've swapped e-mail with the company owner and he seems like a real nice guy. I gotta get mine installed before spring....

I like the idea of the oiler vs. spray/toothbrush approaches although there's some spatter no matter what....

One of the commonly recommeded lubes by the chain mfg. for the o-ring chains it 90wt manual transmission lube. I have some from Redline company that is almost clear - a very light pink color (that doesn't small like crap either ...) so I've started using that ....

Once I get the oiler installed I'm going to try to "load" just a few drops for application every few rides.....

Jim

I liked the idea of 2sided oiling and the use of zip tie tails as applicators. There are instructions on how to keep it from self oiling and some how I missed the boat. Mine would empty the bottle on a day ride. It went from messy to real messy. I used it for a 10,000 mile Alaska trip and then took it off.

Back