• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anyone replace the CENTER STAND on a Hexhead R1200RT?

C172MyP51

Another rider noticed that my (steel) center stand was making contact with the (aluminum) final drive housing, and leaving about a 1/16" dent in it. I knew my center stand was bent, but didn't realize it could do any harm.
I've purchased a replacement center stand, and was wondering if anyone has replaced theirs before. Seems like a doable job while using the side stand.
Any thoughts welcome.

I have. I recall it was tough to do, because of the spring tension. I ended up attaching a ratchet strap to it and pulling it back, stretching the spring, so that I could get the bolts through it. It was a lot tougher than I expected.

I'm also having trouble finding a tool to fit around the back/inside of the center stand to undo the bolts. There's only an inch or so of room, so most sockets won't fit. Also, one side is a T-45, the other is an Allen! Very untypical German engineering.

I was looking at mine last week, after reading reports of loose bolts. I think it might be simplest to remove the exhaust system to get access to the bolts.

I also had those issues. I wish I could recall exactly, but I know there was a lot of swearing, and I may have customized some sockets or ground some wrenches. I don't recall, but it was a LOT more work than I expected!

An old bodge for center stand and side stand springs is to put the bike on the center stand and then place washers or coins between the extended coils. Then retract the stand and the spring stays stretched out.

An old bodge for center stand and side stand springs is to put the bike on the center stand and then place washers or coins between the extended coils. Then retract the stand and the spring stays stretched out.
That is a simple but brilliant idea!!!

I broke an exhaust spring tool trying to fit a stand on a wee- Strom. Went flying on my back across the garage. Those springs are STRONG!

Anyone replace the CENTER STAND on a Hexhead R1200RT

would an exhaust spring tool help with the springs

View attachment 50186

I just did the job recently on a 2010 GS.

In Oz I found a old style brake tool used to remove and install Drum brake shoes on a Toyota Hilux & such.

One end has a notched socket-like tube which fits over the spring post to unhook the spring. Easy

To install the stand on the GS I used a longer bolt so I could pull back the threaded spring holder

I have done the same job on my RT about 5 years ago but I would have to have a look & try to remember

I've used the exhaust spring tool and brake spring pliers-

I have also used nylon cord tied on and a lever out the end of the bike. I guess I like the cord best because I can add some mechanical advantage to extend the spring and if anything gets jammed or bound, I can cut the cord out.
OM

Back