• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anybody know this RT for sale?

tsfountain

I'm looking at an 2015 RT (coming off a K75s) which is at a dealership in NJ. It has a MOA sticker, so wondering if anyone on here knows its (short) history.

2015 R1200RT
Callisto Gray
All options (including keyless ride)
3,709 miles on odometer

VIN: WB10A1305FZ193407

capture1.png

capture2.png

Welcome to the forum! What could the dealer tell you about the bike? Who brought it in? Was it serviced there?

Thanks for the welcome!

Dealer originally told me it was a trade-in, but then corrected himself that "I bought it". So not sure if from an auction (do they have such things like the big used auto auctions?) or if someone just wanted to sell their bike and brought it in to him.

The dealer should be able to put you in touch with the previous owner. If not, I would wonder why he won't and become very cautious about buying it.

Looks like it left Berlin on April 1, 2015. It does seem to have all the options available at that time including shift assistant pro and central locking. Less than 4,000 miles in four years seems like minimal usage.

It should have had the 600-mile service, but maybe no other service. Considering the lack of information regarding history, you might be able to drive a hard bargain. Normal trade-in price for a 2015 RT equipped like this would be about $10K, with a retail of about $13K. If you want to roll the dice, so to speak, something around $8K might be a good starting point.

Unfortunately, the BMW system does not allow searching for the service history of motorcycles the way it does for BMW 4-wheelers.

The dealer should be able to put you in touch with the previous owner. If not, I would wonder why he won't and become very cautious about buying it.

That’s very old thinking Jeff. It’s the way I think about this kind of thing as well :wave
:gerg
Gary

Me Too

Hi,
I was suspect of a 2014 RT with 800 miles on it in 2016. After a discussion with Max it turned out to be a bike bought with every option by an "older" (I'm 69!!!) gentleman who after a few years of putting basically no miles on the bike sold it back to Max. So it could be a good bargain. I've been very happy with mine. The biggest thing I needed to do was put some miles on it, put as much fresh gas through it as I could and burn it. Did do a couple quick oil changes and especially the final drive. The dealer did do a 12K service before delivery but the FD took a couple of changes to look good. That would be one thing I would ask for from the dealer a 12K service before delivery, regardless of mileage.
Later,
Norm

Unfortunately, the BMW system does not allow searching for the service history of motorcycles the way it does for BMW 4-wheelers.

When I was at the Iowa rally a few weeks ago I was visiting with one of the shop techs and he said BMW may have a system up soon to that allows all shops to see service history.

Ask the dealership if they preformed the service, and if so, will they share it with you.

Most dealerships will not release the names of previous owners, but there are several apps on the internet that will allow you to run a license plate number, or vin number. Some states will release the information to you if you fill out an application, and send it in with a fee to the state DOT office. In Texas it is subject to the Open Records Act and is discoverable, if you follow the correct process. Whether the owner will speak to you is another question.

Easy

Last edited:
Max

Hi,
Me again. I bought the 2014 with 800 miles on it. I asked Max for a copy of the initial service and they had no problem giving it to me. All of the previous owner's info was blacked out. But all service done was left untouched. That's where I learned the right switch cluster had been replaced under warranty. So just ask your dealer.
Later,
Norm

Last edited:
Hi,
Me again. I bought the 2014 with 800 miles on it. I asked Max for a copy of the initial service and they had no problem giving it to me. All of the previous owner's info was blacked out. But all service done was left untouched. That's where I learned the right switch cluster had been replaced under warranty. So just ask your dealer.
Later,
Norm

I was in the same situation once trying to find the service history of a bike I wanted to buy. I asked the dealer if he could get the records from the dealer in AZ where the bike was at and he said I had to call them as BMW motorcycles do not have one centralized system of record keeping, each dealer keeps their own records. I did get what I needed from the dealer in AZ but if the original owner had ever had any work done at another dealership (like as sometimes happens on a road trip) you would never be able to get those records unless the previous owner was nice enough to tell you where it was serviced so you could contact that dealer. Otherwise you'd never know. The only other alternative I thought of was CarFax reports, but I never pursued that. Not sure if dealers report service records to them anyway, but it would be nice if they did.

Not sure the dealer in NJ where the bike is located but if it's Cross Country they have a pretty good reputation and are one of the top BMW dealers in the country based on sales. If you like the bike and it looks good I would check it over fully, test ride it and then make an offer. You may or may not ever know the full story but does it really matter? It is a low mile bike in a great color. I would make sure all the service is current.

Also, if they won't give you the name of the prior owner (I would be shocked if they did) you can ask if they would give the prior owner YOUR contact info and ask that he contact you. I did that when I bought my 2005 K1200LT.

Back