• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any opinion on the Caberg Justissimo helmet?

beeryboats

Forget the Nolan N102, I just found the Caberg Justissimo helmet! What a great looking hat with some neat features. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this brand. And something I'm really scared of, how do they fit and how do you find your size? I can't find a dealer from their web-site in the US. I found the ad in Rider Wearhouse Catalog, fall 2007, page 8.

also have a Nolan 102, bought a Caberg J from our local Austin BMW dealer. Like the features of the Caberg interior sunshield vs the outside Nolan. Like the Nolan buckle better, but the Caberg is acceptable and I am used to it now. My only dislike is their is not an easy way to alter the cheek/ear pads and when I wear earbuds with music or comm, after a three day trip, my ears are a hurtin' from the tighness against my ears.

The Nolan has space for speakers, the Caberg does not if you use Autocomm or other comm speakers

The helmet IS quieter than the Nolan, the sizes are comparable to each other, I have mediums in both and without earbuds are very close in comfort for me.
I like the looks of the Caberg and in the wind, I think it is a tad more stable than the Nolan....but that is my opinion...others may vary!

One other diff is the Caberg only has one indent for a slight opening of the visor where the Nolan has more . seems you get a little more rain into the Caberg when cracked for ventilation. The inside of the visor has some anti fog treatment as opposed to the insert of the Nolan. Have not gone thru a winter with it yet to decide which works better there.

I've got both the N102 and the Justissmo too but I find that I'm always putting on the Nolan.

The external sun visor on the Nolan does make it louder than the Justissmo but if you pull that thing off and throw it away the Nolan is quieter than the Caberg. I installed a "Fog City speed tint insert" on the inside of the visor and that solved the problem. And it looks much better than the strip of electrical tape that I used to use on the visor of my old N100. And no one makes fun of the tinted insert like they did the tape either. :)

As stated above, the Nolan quick release is much better than the Caberg QR. The Nolan visor will stay open about 1/4 inch versus the approx. 1 inch of the Caberg.

In cooler weather, the Caberg started fogging up in the mid 40s and in the 30s it fogged so badly that I couldn't keep the visor closed. The Nolan anti-fog insert worked great even in the low 30s.

The Nolan fits My head better than the Caberg. I've worn my N102 for 14 hours straight and it was still as comfortable when I took it off as it was when I put in on. The Caberg feels like it's trying to press my upper ears into my skull after only about an hour.

All in all, I wish I hadn't bought the Justissmo but I keep it around to have a loaner. Or, in case I want to look Cool. That's the area that my silver Caberg has my bright white Nolan with reflective material affixed beat. :D

Pretty much agree with Henzilla. I also have both an N102 and a Justissimo. I haven't worn the Nolan this year. Mainly because of the exterior sun visor. I wore the Nolan on my trip to SoCal (from central Washington state) last summer. I rode my Moto Guzzi Breva 750 with the 'touring' screen. The buffeting was maddening. The screen directs the breeze right onto the upper 1/3 of my helmet and the exterior visor causes such turbulence, my head was slammed around for the whole trip. My only relief was to pretty much lie flat on the tank with my head directly behind the lower portion of the screen.

Same bike, slightly different trip, wearing the Justissimo. Still getting a bit of buffeting, but no where near the amount as the Nolan. I have since adjusted the angle of the screen, no buffeting now with the Caberg, will have to take a trip with the Nolan to see if it made a difference with that helmet.

Also keep in mind that with the Nolan, if you have the face shield raised (ie, its hot out and you need some extra ventilation, etc) you will lose the sun visor. With the Justissimo, you can keep the face shield up and keep the sun visor down.

I liked the Nolan. "IF" it had an internal sun visor (like the Justissimo and the Schuberth), I would wear it more often.

FIT: Both fit my head just fine, although it took a bit to get used to the higher rear angle of the Justissimo. I felt that that rear of the Nolan came down a bit further on the back of my head than the Caberg. Kept feeling like I need to pull the Caberg further down on my head. Now its not an issue and I've noticed that there is better 'neck/collar clearance' on my jackets with the Caberg.

hardwear: I prefer the Nolan chin latch, (but I have gotten used to the Caberg) release mechanism is smoother, the face shield disassembles easier/faster , there are more color/tint options on the Nolan face shield. Also more helmet colors available on the Nolan

Ventilation: A bit better on the Nolan, and the extra anti fog insert works well.

Looks: Caberg looks better (IMHO)

Price: about the same

Noise: Caberg is slightly quieter

Both have removable interior padding.

Henzilla, if you unsnap the cheek pads and take them out, with a bit of fanangaling you can get the foam out of the pockets. I shaved off about 1/3-1/2 of the cheek pad foam, stuck them back into the fabric pockets and snapped them back into the helmet. What a relief. I no longer have that 'fish face' look, I can chew gum without biting off a chunk of mouth flesh, AND my earbuds are still comfy after 100 miles. The fit of the helmet hasn't changed, the only difference is there is less squeeze pressure on my cheeks.

Dee

flymymbz,I will try the pads...I pulled them and thought...geez, unsewing a new pad? but if it keeps the ears comfy I am all for it, thanks. you had mentioned it in a previous post ,I just haven't tried it.:thumb

Caberg

Forget the Nolan N102, I just found the Caberg Justissimo helmet! What a great looking hat with some neat features. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this brand. And something I'm really scared of, how do they fit and how do you find your size? I can't find a dealer from their web-site in the US. I found the ad in Rider Wearhouse Catalog, fall 2007, page 8.

I'm glad that others like their Caberg. For me, it has been the worse helmet I've owned in 36 years.

The clear visor leaked in the rain, it yellowed very quickly and the sun visor continued to jam.

The distributor at first took it back for a fix. That amounted to placing a strip of felt across the top of the face opening. It peeled of with in two hours. When I complained about that, the distributor would not return my calls.

Mine is currently a book end.

Good luck with yours.

Caberg

To each their own - helmets are as much a decision based on fit and style as functionality.

My SO got a Caberg from Nick's BMW of DePere, WI, and at first, had the same "too tight against the ears" problems that have been mentioned in this thread.

What the dealer apparel guru (Denise) did was to swap out cheek pads from smaller-sized Cabergs into her helmet, and guess what? Helmet now fits so much better, all day comfort, and even allowed sufficient room for installing the ChatterBox intercom system we use. Have had no issues with the sun visor or noise.

No one perfect helmet on the market - too many head and face sizes, as well as differing opinions as to important features. I tried several Cabergs on, and my jaw line does not allow me to wear this brand. Ergo, I own a Shoei.

Just mentioning what worked out with a Caberg in this situation.

Ride Often and Alert!

Caberg helmets

I have been using the Caberg helmet the past month. I am have a set of Shure E4c noise cancelling ear buds that I use with it. They are relatively comfortable. I just bought an autocom system and will install the speakers and headset into the Caberg. I also bought the cable that will allow me to use my earbuds. I'll let y'all know how it fits and feels when finished. I am a bit concerned with the speaker as the helmet is already a pretty tight fit around the chin.

I rank this helmet right up there with the Shoei; I replaced it with a lower cost flipup helmet (GMAX) decided after a couple months to go with the Caberg(too much noise on the GMAX). I have an R1100RT and when I ride with the adjustable windscreen up/extended I have the have the shield on the helmet up too (don't get enough airflow even with the vent all open). It does have a tendency to fog up in the early am but I seem to have that problem with any helmet.

Overall +1 on the Caberg. I chose it over the Nolan due to the internal visor of the Caberg and the issues with Nolan external sun visor.

:bikes

I have been using th Caberg for about 6 months now. It has a different fit from other flip ups. The chin seem to rotate more under my chin and it is a closer fit front to back. The venting is good and noise abatemebt is good. The last fault is the flip release is cumbersome with gloves.

I just heard though that Caberg is releasing a new model that is a better fit. I would wait to find out more on that or shift to a Nolan.

flymymbz,I will try the pads...I pulled them and thought...geez, unsewing a new pad? but if it keeps the ears comfy I am all for it, thanks. you had mentioned it in a previous post ,I just haven't tried it.:thumb

Don't fret about the sewing. Its only a couple of stitches. Undo the section that has the plastic tab that sticks out. You'll see the stitching directly against the plastic. It is the top side, the one that butts up against the main internal padding, the side you can't see when its in the helmet. You may have to fuss with the foam to get it back in 'properly', and if you're not into sewing, you can use a bit of hot glue or double sided tape to re seal it. I can't remember what I did to re-seal mine, I may have just tucked it in and left it alone.....

If you want, I can post pics of what I did.

Dee

Nolan sun visor is easily removable

I've had several Nolan's and would agree an internal sunvisor is better than an external one - but external is better than none at all. If there are times it's "in the way" remember that it takes less than 60 seconds to remove the Nolan sunvisor and stuff it into your tank bag. It's designed for quick removal for cleaning and those times when you don't want it on your hat.

Don't fret about the sewing. Its only a couple of stitches. Undo the section that has the plastic tab that sticks out. You'll see the stitching directly against the plastic. It is the top side, the one that butts up against the main internal padding, the side you can't see when its in the helmet. You may have to fuss with the foam to get it back in 'properly', and if you're not into sewing, you can use a bit of hot glue or double sided tape to re seal it. I can't remember what I did to re-seal mine, I may have just tucked it in and left it alone.....

If you want, I can post pics of what I did.

Dee

Thanks Dee,I am waiting for a dark & stormy night to try adjusting the Caberg... I peeked at it and can't sit still that long at moment!:lol I think it will solve minor fit issue

One plus about an exterior sunvisor on the Nolan is you can use it like a tear-a-way after a bug storm...flip it up to a clean shield, even if it is only a few miles!

Caberg

Just got mine. Thoughts -

The internal sun visor is trick and positioned well for me. It definately fits tightly around the ears, but I wear ear protection anyhow so appreciate the noise reduction offered. Chin clearance for me is fine, their buckle is a bit fussy as noted above. Fit and finish are excellent, very trick looking helmet IMHO.

Will probably shave a bit of foam off to improve the fit around my cheeks.

I'll log back in after I've had a change to experience it over a wider range of conditions than a single 90 mile jaunt.

Hard to find??

Ok - I got curious about the Caberg helmets, so went looking on-line for dealers. Found a few with only the 2XL size in one of only three colors. Aerostitch had only one color in 2XL. Wow - that seems like a pretty limited selection, and then I found this notice on the Sport Touring Accessories web site (http://www.sporttouringusa.com/www/helmets-main.htm):

Notice: We have been unable to obtain a reliable source of supply for the Caberg helmets and replacement parts. Despite repeated promises and commitments, the US importer of Caberg Products has been unable to deliver. As a result, we have removed these products from our web site. If you purchased a helmet from us, we will strive to provide you with replacement parts as needed. Please contact us by telephone at 800-889-5550, and we will do our utmost to source replacement parts.

If you are interested in a Caberg helmet, please call Nichols Motorcycle Supply at 800-826-0001 and ask for the name of your closest dealer.

From this it sounds like they are hard to get, and parts likely harder. Does anyone know of a good, reliable source or if there is anything to the above message? :dunno

Caberg Helmets

I purchased mine at the MOA Rally in Lima, Ohio.(2005). Over 26,000 miles of useand still have the origional shield. No problems. I find it fogs up about the same as my Shoei on cool mornings. Both are size Medium. The Carberg is noisy compared to the Shoei, but then it only cost 1/2 as much. I like that,unlike the Nolan, when I flip the helmet up I still have sun visor in position if I want it. Just my 2 cents worth. :thumb

Caberg

I purchased mine last Nov (2006) and I'm very happy with it. The fit and comfort is fine for me. Living in Florida I was concerned with ventalation! The Caberg work great and (under 65) the face shield stays in place to provide great cooling. I agree that the chin strap is a bit difficult but that's why we have mirrors. I'm 5'10" and only weight 145# so the fit with a medium is perfect. Also, wearing glasses (after a bit of sculpting with a Xacto knife) the helmet goes on fine with my glasses on.. For the price, I think its a great value. (Mine is in Metalic Black).

Caberg

:clap I really like my Caberg helmet. It has been the only helmet I've used for about two years now.

The good:

It's really quiet for a modular helmet (earplugs recommended)

The internal sunvisor is excellent and has never faulted.

Excellent air flow venting.

Easy to install my Autocomm (found instructions on the Autocomm website)

Latching mechanism at the chinbar is metal and not plastic

Great looks.

The O.K.:

Snug fit for a round head.

A little heavy, especially when riding with the face open (not recommended by Caberg).

Latching mechanism at the chinstrap is metal to metal, but I would still prefer a D-ring style.

The Bad

Chinstrap sits a little back towards my throat. I find myself adjusting it every 100 miles or so.

It has leaked around the visor in HEAVY rains. No leaks for light or quick rainstorms.

There is a d-ring on the chinstrap used to secure the helmet to the bike. I find it doesn't work well without the use of a cable lock or other device as it sits too far up the chinstrap.

Try this website for everything motorcycle. They have excellent helmet reviews!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/

I have owned both Nolan's and "Cabergs" and agree with most of the comments made: Caberg sun visor, good; latch not as solid and easy to use as Nolan; first detent on Caberg visor too large; cheek pads too large; etc. I have owned my Caberg a couple of years, though, and the plastic chin strap guard (between the nylon webbing and the throat) has cracked in several places and has become quite uncomfortable. My overall comment about Caberg is this: I bought mine at the International Bike Show when their name was still Jarow. Before that their name was Arrow. The company seems a bit flakey to me and, as has been mentioned, dealers can be hard to find. When I needed a new face shield, I had about given up until I figured out that the Caberg in the Aerostitch catalog was my Jarow. I wouldn't buy another one. I will go back to Nolan or on to that pricey Shoie.

Last edited:
Back