• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any good reason to have dealer do the 600 mile service ??

mosrrt

If there any good reason why the dealer has to do the 600 mile break in service ?
The only thing I can't do is hook it to a BMW computer / software :)

Makes mother BMW happy in case if a warranty claim. Not saying it will be an issue, nor can they force you to have the dealer do it, just saying they seem to like to know a dealer did it.

On our first 5 BMWs I did the 600 mile service.
On both of our 2003 K1200RSs I did the engine and final drive oil changes, then took both in for a computer check.
On our 2011 K1300Ss and 2016 R1200RSs I had the dealer do the 600 mile check.
When I bought the R1200RSs I asked for a free 600 mile check and they agreed.

When buying a new bike I would ask for a free 600 mile check or ask for free labor on the 600 mile check.

I know my way around BMW's fairly well but have had the 600 mile service done at Engle Motors in Kansas City for every new bike we have owned. They have all been new models so their eyes were better than mine at those moments.

I would. This is a good chance to "interact" with the dealer where it counts.
As others have mentioned, it does make BMW (any new vehicle dealer) happy should a warranty problem arise.
The connection to the computer registers that your bike was there and you will usually get the "latest and greatest" software updates.
OM

+1 all the comments here. Establish a "service" relationship with your dealership. And as an MOA member put your foot down and make sure they honor the ADVANTEC promo. One quart of oil in the long run doesn't save you too much $15ish bucks, but it creates/enforces that MOA dealership relationship that needs to be nurtured. These guys are going to be doing your warranty work for the life cycle of your cycle. Its worth the cost initially to let them know you are serious about the care and maintenance of your new bike.

From the '16 RT rider manual

From the rider manual for the '16 RT:

"To ensure that your BMW consistently remains in optimal condition BMW Motorrad urges you to observe the recommended service intervals. Have all maintenance and repair work confirmed in the "Service" chapter in this manual. For generous treatment of claims submitted after the warranty period has expired (goodwill), evidence of regular maintenance is essential."​

Seems to me dealership/service centers have to depend on service dept revenue to stay alive, so just like buying popcorn for $5 at the movie theatre it seems just to be part of the total cost, to utilize the service department in at least the mandatory services every 12K miles, and the break-in service. I appreciate our local dealer immensely for their expertise and willingness to solve whatever problem exists, Ozzie's BMW in Chico CA. I still like to change my own fluids so I do, but when it's more than just FD and engine oil I take it in for service.

My brother had an '06 w/ 140K miles on it and ~5y after the warranty expired BMW replaced the fuel pump. They seem ultimately reasonable provided your dealer is in good standing w/ them, i.e. aren't abusing warranty work.

If there any good reason why the dealer has to do the 600 mile break in service ?
The only thing I can't do is hook it to a BMW computer / software :)

While it's in warranty, I would do the dealer services. Beyond the warranty period, it's your choice depending on your interests. Some folks enjoy working on their bikes and mastering the maintenance procedures. I prefer other hobbies in the shop and let someone else handle my vehicle maintenance. Years ago, like 3 decades ago, I used to do the all fluid changes myself and take the bike to the shop for the valve and timing adjustments. But, then the shops started charging by the rate book for the Service I and II, so the only savings was the fluids and filters. At that point, I decided to bite the bullet and pay them for the fluids & filters, since I was already paying for the labor.

Since they're using a standard rate book, ask what the price will be and plan accordingly. But, I understand the question, while auto maintenance has become cheaper over the past few decades, BMW motorcycle maintenance seems to have risen. Hopefully, with the new wethead configurations, that trend will be reversed.

I do most of my own maintenance, but like others I've had the dealer do the 600 mile service on our new bikes. One reason, not yet mentioned, is that it is better for a dealer to discover a manufacturing error then it is for you to find it. For example, an over torqued or cross threaded oil drain plug.

Just depends, if you have the time to drop the bike off and find a ride and then arrange to go down and pick the bike up, and if you are not concerned about the cost, and you are more comfortable with the dealer doing it, then have them do it.

One curious item I saw on the 2015 R1200R was the call out for a steering head bearing re-torque as part of the run in service. There has been debate if all dealers do it, or if it is really called out on the run in service, but I would ask what they plan to do on the run in service, and see if they are doing the steering head bearing re-torque.

JT

As mentioned, not necessary, but one should likely consider it more than any other service interval.

One item not mentioned is that there can be a significant length of time between manufacture of a bike, it's sale date, and it's 600 mile run-in check. This can lead to there being outstanding software updates (as was the case with my RTW) that only the dealer can perform.

I think it is good advice to have that initial service done by the dealer as a precaution regarding any issues that the tech might identify versus the bike owner.

Just depends, if you have the time to drop the bike off and find a ride and then arrange to go down and pick the bike up...
Some dealers will provide a loaner. Again, like trying to negotiate to have the first service provided free, during the buying process, that is also a good time to try and negotiate the inclusion of a loaner bike during service work. It would certainly makes the whole process smoother.

Just depends, if you have the time to drop the bike off and find a ride and then arrange to go down and pick the bike up, and if you are not concerned about the cost, and you are more comfortable with the dealer doing it, then have them do it.

One curious item I saw on the 2015 R1200R was the call out for a steering head bearing re-torque as part of the run in service. There has been debate if all dealers do it, or if it is really called out on the run in service, but I would ask what they plan to do on the run in service, and see if they are doing the steering head bearing re-torque.

JT

The 600-mile service on my wethead was basically an oil change. I was in and out of the dealership in 2-hrs. Just long enough for a really bad cup of coffee and conversation with the locals at a neighboring bar.

Hi,

May be too late for the folks on this thread, but ask if the 600 mile service can be included, at no cost, with the purchase of the motorcycle.

Since 1977 at least 5 BMW motorcycle dealers I have done business with have shut the doors.

I give as much business to my dealer as I can. I prefer to have them around.

That's one reason to have a dealer do your service.

Yes, this is a curious thing. A friend found that our dealer did not have the special tool to perform this service and couldn't get it for some time. Traded that bike for an R Nine T.

15- 1200 GSA Dealer Service

I too let them do the 600 mi service, but that is all. I believe in supporting my local BMW dealer otherwise they won't be there when I do need them, but as long as it is not warrantee work I do it all myself. I purchase parts and new bikes from the local dealer and from time to time I even get some advice from the service manager. We have a great relationship with the dealer and they provide excellent support to me and I do to them. I simply cannot afford to drive a bike and have someone else do the work on it. Plus I want to understand the bike and how it works and how to keep it running so it is in my best interest to learn and practice working on my bike. I have a few selected friends interested in the same philosophy (not all BMW riders) so we often take the opportunity to work on bikes, find out what makes them tick and enjoy a little a learning experience.

It work for me and my friends.

I did the 600 mile, repeated again at 3,000 and 6,000 mile point
My dealer is aware I do my own oil and final drive changes
They are happy to do tire and brake work along with any warranty work (none on RT so far)
Being a gear head I kinda joy it
On the other side my wife's C650gt gets serviced exclusively at the dealer,

I am of the opinion that no one will treat your bike with the care that you will. In addition, I enjoy the piece of mind that all service items were both completed and completed properly. In the end, I save money and gain piece of mind.

I've just had too many bad experiences with service departments (BMW cars, Harley-Davidsons, Toyota, etc). I trust my own work when my hide is the one riding above the asphalt.

New motorcycles, especially sophisticated ones like BMW, are no longer just mechanical machines. They also include an increasing amount of software and often multiple computers. Often this software should be updated. At this point only the dealer can do this. This is especially important with new models.

Soon motorcycle to be compliant in Europe will have to include OBD ports (on board diagnostics) long required on cars. How many of you have this tool? And if you have one, do you have the software update specific to your brand,model, year? $$$$

Motorcycle maintenance of oil changes and valve adjustments is not adequate in itself.

Back