• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

An old guy shares some thoughts on BMWs and their riders

Yeah, but......My brother in law still should have bought a Miata, instead of the "restored" MGB that lives at the mechanics garage...;)

Nostalgia isn't always pretty....

Nostalgia will usually trump logic. I should not logically be spending what I have on building my 79 Mustang, a brand new Shelby GT would cost little more, would perform as well and be much more comfortable. But it would not a 79 that I built myself.

Collectible from both a nostalgic, emotional as well as an investment connection won't last forever.

As soon as all of us 55 and over are either in the nursing home or worse, it's game over.
Generation X, Y and whatever has no desire to own a '69 Charger. Certainly not at $150,000.

Which speaks to the nostalgic value of the Airhead, and the ability of the buyers to pay for nostalgia.

Nostalgia if for the nostalgic. I still campaign my airhead like I did when I became the owner in 1989 when it was only 17 years old.
I will grant to you the notion that Airheads are antiques, but those bikes can still be used safely and efficiently more than 25 years after the last of the run was sold.

With regard to pricing, an owner can ask any price. What do these actually sell for?

Nostalgia if for the nostalgic. I still campaign my airhead like I did when I became the owner in 1989 when it was only 17 years old.
I will grant to you the notion that Airheads are antiques, but those bikes can still be used safely and efficiently more than 25 years after the last of the run was sold.

With regard to pricing, an owner can ask any price. What do these actually sell for?

I'm seeing nice airheads advertised on Craigslist as low as 3k (R60/6) and $3500-$5500+ R75/6
R65s @$2500-$3000 - R65LS @$3500-4500

Bought my R65LS $800 - not a good deal because it needed everything but a good deal for me because a great project & met friends thru forums.

My lwb '73 R60/5 was in pretty good shape but needed TLC- seller asked $3200 & I purchased $2500 & put another $1000 in parts & paint - paint & scout fairing was not necessary but fed my creative juices.

Collectible from both a nostalgic, emotional as well as an investment connection won't last forever.

As soon as all of us 65 and over are either in the nursing home or worse, it's game over.
Generation X, Y and whatever has no desire to own a '69 Charger. Certainly not at $150,000.

Helped you with that. As a near 57-yo, I don't relate to cars from 1969..

Funny thing. I'm 80 and have owned several of the now rapidly appreciating cars from the '50's and 60's and later. They really weren't very good then and for sure haven't gotten better with age. As others have stated the party will end when the bidders get a bit older.

Funny thing. I'm 80 and have owned several of the now rapidly appreciating cars from the '50's and 60's and later. They really weren't very good then and for sure haven't gotten better with age. As others have stated the party will end when the bidders get a bit older.

Up to my early 20's, I used to go the National meet at Hershey, PA with my Dad. Lot's of fantastic cars going all the way back to start. Dad was depression era kid, so it was reliving his youth seeing these cars. The Cord like the bootlegger had. The Pierce Arrow the store owner bought at a foreclosure/bankruptcy sale. On and on. Then the regular cars that Dad had owned in the 30 thru 50's

Then, I think it was the Harrah collection, was sold in the 80's and the price of the classic cars went thru the roof and cost of insurance made it impossible for them to be shown at open events like Hershey. I sorta lost a part of my Dad, when that happened.

Last edited:
Not to stir the pot but because of their continued popularity and increasing scarcity Airhead BMWs are rapidly outstripping the ability of new young riders to buy one. I will soon be able to buy a brand new BMW G310R for what many an old, run of the mill, Airhead would cost. And many other brands offer similar bikes at lower cost than that.

So celebrate the heritage of the Airhead BMW, but don't think it is any kind of real answer to the entry of young folks into BMWdom. Unless their dad, or grandpa, or uncle, or mother rode one, a young person nowdays will probably fail to see the allure of an old Airhead. YMMV for sure.

I couldn't agree more. Everyone thinks their airhead is now worth $5000+. "I mean, it's an AIRHEAD." Of course they are still 30 to 50+ year old machines, that typically need $1000-2000 in parts by this time. Add it up and you can buy a very nice newer BMW or other brand machine for less, and get a better bike all around. I like airheads as much as the next BMW rider, but realistically, they aren't worth what people want for them. Of course emotion rules in transportation land, so maybe they are selling well. I'm waiting for the prices to start dropping as us old folks stop riding. As far as I can tell, young people are not buying those old bikes. They are no bargain money wise, and they themselves have no interest/ability to work on anything mechanical. Airheads have no video screen.

I would want that when my riding days are over, that my beloved 750 wind up in the possession of a new, younger rider and be used and enjoyed the way it was meant to be.

Nice... my younger son will get my G/SPD+ :nod

Hey, what's the "A" stand for? :ha :wave

Just yesterday I read a digest from the IBMWR Ads List. 1981 R80G/S - $7,200. 1992 K75S - $2000. Guess which bike I would buy.

Neither. You'd get the new 310R!

OK, I cheated... Paul told me in Nakusp what he and Voni's next new bikes were likely to be. :thumb

Just yesterday I read a digest from the IBMWR Ads List. 1981 R80G/S - $7,200. 1992 K75S - $2000. Guess which bike I would buy.

Personal opinion, of course, but I believe the K75 bikes are some of the best engineered, least appreciated, and best value used motorcycles people can buy. I'm beginning to think the K1100s are pretty close to that also. I have a pretty good idea which, of the two bikes, both Paul, and myself, would be the next proud owners of.

As far as I can tell, young people are not buying those old bikes. They are no bargain money wise, and they themselves have no interest/ability to work on anything mechanical. Airheads have no video screen.

I guess it depends on you are considering young people.

As I mentioned, the young teens are drawn to the Airheads we have.

I see late 20's's to 40's regularly spending time with these bikes.
The current cafe and mods riders are keeping them running, though not all are happy with what some are doing with the bikes.

Also know that all young folks are not mechanically challenged, used to work alongside some ranch kids we hired out of high school that could keep many an farm/ranch environment engine running and had skills .
I look forward to the day I can hand some wrenches and bikes to my grandkids...and then tell their moms:whistle

:wave Hey there Paul. If my R75/5 were to be crashed and I wanted a bike to ride in the interim, I would take the K75S over the R80G/S.

There was/is also a 900 listed on the IBMWR for $1500. According to the description, it needed a master cylinder and was some what "weathered". I would buy that one right now if I were in the market for another bike. Since I was forced in to early retirement a year ago, I sold 2 of my Airheads. The R100/80/7 with the Velorex side car went for $3000. The Mono-shock R100RS went for $2900. I think these are more realistic price points. Both of those bikes were in fine operating condition. I would agree that $7200 for any airhead is overboard crazy.

I still say that people who are enthralled with the "retro" cool look of an airhead, are in for a shock when they become the proud owners. The bikes are old. And a good many of them being sold have had very little care over the years, because, well, "It's a BMW. They last forever!" Right. Start factoring in new shocks, front springs, diode boards, brake lines, cables, caliper rebuilds, Bing carb rebuilds, maybe exhaust systems, and your going to see some interesting credit card bills over a short time. Factor in having someone else do the work and we're talking some serious money for a lovable toy. I guess it's worth it to some, and they are an icon of the motorcycle world, but I don't think a lot of the current people who just have to have one realize what they are getting in to. They are hot now, and I see a lot of people trying to cash in on the craze, putting the old 75/6 that has been in the back corner of the garage for years up for sale. I hope the new owner is happy with it.

Back