• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Airhead fuel tank identification

bigvic54

I purchased a 1971 R/75 with this fuel tank. It is fiberglass.

I've searched in many places but no one can tell me the manufacturer, model number, etc.

Can anyone help me?

tank.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank4.jpg

It's hard to get a feel for the shape of the tank...almost needs more light on it and maybe taken a bit further back to get a sense of things. Here's where I go for BMW tanks:

http://www.beemergarage.com/Tanks.html

However, I looked through the pictures and didn't see anything that jumped out at me. Your tank has an offset fill hole on the right side. Hard to find anything with that configuration.

Aftermarket

Looking at the tank I very much doubt it is any kind of stock tank. Back in the day there were a small number of companies making larger tanks for BMW bikes aftermarket. Heinrik is one name. Sorry, I don't recall the names of the others. St.

Still hoping to see additional pictures to get a sense of the exterior shape. Definitely an aftermarket tank. Note the cutouts that provided clearance to the carbs since it hung so low. Information I'm seeing is that this is from the early 1970s and might have been called "Wanderer".

Still hoping to see additional pictures to get a sense of the exterior shape. Definitely an aftermarket tank. Note the cutouts that provided clearance to the carbs since it hung so low. Information I'm seeing is that this is from the early 1970s and might have been called "Wanderer".

IMG_9603.jpg

Here's an additional picture with the tank on the bike.

I've confirmed that it was a tank called the Wanderer...don't know who made it. It was advertised in Road Rider magazine in the early 1970s. If anyone has a copy from that period, maybe we can learn more about the tank.

My source for this information is John Lacko who owns beemergarage.com...a valuable source for BMW material, especially things before 1970. He found these pictures on his computer. The blue tank shows the tank installed. The other picture shows the tag that is on a tank showing the name and source.
tank1JL.jpegtank2JL.jpeg

My source for this information is John Lacko who owns beemergarage.com...a valuable source for BMW material, especially things before 1970. He found these pictures on his computer. The blue tank shows the tank installed. The other picture shows the tag that is on a tank showing the name and source.
View attachment 93488View attachment 93489

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Does anyone have an idea of its value?

Does anyone have an idea of its value?

Whatever someone wants to pay for it? :D It's a bit of Airhead lore from the 1970s. Not sure what I would do with 8 gallons of gas...my rear end gets tired quickly and I need to target the bathroom more and more!!

Back