• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ADVrider sold?

*cough*

You're welcome for all the moderation across both platforms, I guess.

Also, after 17 years of moderating at ADV, I turned my keys in this week. No way I'm doing volunteer work for a profit making venture like VS.

I hear that and I also can't believe I didn't say "and no small thanks to kbasa, who knows wtf he's doing." I must've clicked Submit Post too soon. :ha

I always wonder how many would belong to FB……..or would choose to be, if there was some sort of membership dues…

I was naive. Back when I was in the startup world (2004-2010), I always pitched every product as being a paid for product. The 'fans' would pay and the freeloaders/trolls/spammers would not and therefore wouldn't be there but I was short-sighted and undervalued the network effect.

When everyone you know is on a network, you have to be there too. Facebook is not useful unless everyone you communicate with is on it and that never would have happened if FB charged people.

I'm not a FB person. But Adam, if it's free, how can you be certain of who you're dealing with for tech issues? Certainly that can be an issue with a paid site, but with people who are invested, it would seem that would attract those who have more to offer, more experience, etc. Not to mention FB is not about any kind of organization...seems like it's all about "what happened today".

I guess I'm being naive, too!

As for this Forum and subforums I never notice what is where unless I go back to look. I click on "New Posts" and check them all. That may be as many as 25 or 30 threads in a day. As a retired person I do find time to read 25 or 30 posts a day.

As a retired person I do find time to read 25 or 30 posts a day.

The MOA forum is a good fit for me. Plenty of information to keep me entertained and informed.
ADV is overload for me. I like to read every Post in a Thread before I reply. That's not possible with ADV where a Thread has thousands of Posts.
On ADV I like the Fleamarket, Photos and some of the joke stuff.

I am on ADV, MOA and our local ridetherock.com pretty much every day. On ADV I mostly only see my subscribed threads, I have many. On MOA I just look at new posts and click on the few that catch my eye. On RTR I look at the main page and click all new posts as it's a pretty small forum. There are differences in all of them and similarities in all of them. There are any number of users I see across one or two of them or a couple on al 3. Certainly this forum could use some teaks. One I agree with the "like" button. Also I don't like censorship. The can s#@t in the radio and TV but not here? Ridiculous. I too have my fingers crossed ADV survives.

Thanks to Adam, Visian, Lhasa etc for you knowledge and insight.

The MOA forum is a good fit for me. Plenty of information to keep me entertained and informed.
ADV is overload for me. I like to read every Post in a Thread before I reply. That's not possible with ADV where a Thread has thousands of Posts.
On ADV I like the Fleamarket, Photos and some of the joke stuff.

I take it you haven’t posted in the Word Association thread.

How do you get a count of how many times you've posted in Word Association?

When the thread title is shown (among the list of threads) if there is a little green arrow pointing at the graphic to the left of the title, that means you have posted to that thread. Hover on that green arrow and it will give your post count. I discovered this by accident a while back.

So pick a thread (like this one) that you have posted to, notice the green arrow, hover on the arrow and see what it tells you.

Last edited:
While ADVrider is indeed a one of a kind site, I often wish that the great parts of it would rub off on us here. I mean the ride reports are stellar, for the most part, and the technical know how on a variety of bikes and other things is second to none. That is what attracted me to ADV in the first place. I know that it is impossible to compare the MOA to ADV for a variety of reasons but perhaps the club can take some of the good part in consideration for this forum.
I have heard some people say that we are a bit of a snooze fest here....:stick :hide

Yes, Jo Momma takes getting used too :laugh, but not all is bad there either. The sub basement of CSM however is another story. :blush

Just my ramblings YMMV etc

I prefer ADV, though that will probably end at some point. This place just doesn't have that kind of irreverence, which seems to only reinforce the perception that BMW riders are often pretty uptight and stodgy. Having an average member age in the late 50s probably doesn't help generate much irreverence. :dunno

Every place has its character, I reckon and not every place is for every person.

Let’s not get too deep into comparisons between the MOA forum and ADV. The MOA forum is part the benefits package derived from members paying dues.
ADV is a free platform, although as of late soliciting support, like FB. I always wonder how many would belong to FB……..or would choose to be, if there was some sort of membership dues…
OM

Why not? Given that ADV has a lively forum and this place doesn't, isn't there something to learn from that if we want to help drive member involvement?

Competitive benchmarking is a thing if you want to attract and retain clients. Is this forum helping to ensure stickiness of members? Or do we have a churn problem?

As a former MOA President and user #2 here, I think I have the right to ask those questions - as should any member of the organization, don't you agree? When I was president I certainly felt I had an obligation to not only hear those questions and answer them, but to seek them out.

Is this not in line with what you think should happen here? If not, help me understand why not?

Thanks.

I hear that and I also can't believe I didn't say "and no small thanks to kbasa, who knows wtf he's doing." I must've clicked Submit Post too soon. :ha

And we needed Mr. Nye's efforts with the board. I think he was #3 and Scott Conary was like #4, but I'd have to go look.

On like March 22nd or so, this board will have been up and running for 20 years.

Why not? Given that ADV has a lively forum and this place doesn't, isn't there something to learn from that if we want to help drive member involvement?

Competitive benchmarking is a thing if you want to attract and retain clients. Is this forum helping to ensure stickiness of members? Or do we have a churn problem?

As a former MOA President and user #2 here, I think I have the right to ask those questions - as should any member of the organization, don't you agree? When I was president I certainly felt I had an obligation to not only hear those questions and answer them, but to seek them out.

Is this not in line with what you think should happen here? If not, help me understand why not?

Thanks.
Start a petition to make the forum free, like ADV, and you will see.

this concept is also predicated on the stopping of usage of other social platforms and putting the forum first.
OM

Back