• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Advice needed for New Zealand

GSSteve

Hi all
I will be in New Zealand for about 7 or 8 days in November and I am interested in doing a tour, preferably self guided since my window of opportunity is fairly narrow in terms of dates. My wife will be a passenger. I have come across http://www.gotournz.com/
and I am wondering if anyone has experience with this company in terms of bike rentals and setting up an itinerary and if you recommend them. Also open to any suggestions you might have.
Thanks in advance
Steve and Jeannie

I've never used these services, but have attended John's presentations at several of the last National rallys. I've tried and tried to win one of his trips that he gives away...unlucky to date.

He's very passionate about these tours and has a variety of ways to work with you to put together the trip you want. From hands on to hands off...they'll work with you.

I'd have no problems using them if/when I go. I visited New Zealand for work over 10 years ago and vowed I will go back and do it via motorcycle. I drove around on the southern end of the South Island. Very few people on the road and the scenery was awesome. Fiordland was amazing, Mt. Cook views, Queenstown is an outdoor paradise. I believe Burt Munro of the World's Fastest Indian fame lived in Invercargill and there's a museum there.

I have not toured with them, but they always come to the National as Venders: Ive heard only good about them!

Advise needed for New Zealand

I've made two trips to New Zealand where I rented bikes from them. Both times the experiences were exceptional. On one trip I rented the bike in Nelson on the south island, toured the island, took the ferry to the north island , and toured up to north of Auckland where I turned the bike in. On the second trip I strayed entirely on the south island. I am looking forward to my next trip with them. They are great people and I recommend them highly. New Zealand has in my opinion the best riding in the world.

Hi all
I will be in New Zealand for about 7 or 8 days in November and I am interested in doing a tour, preferably self guided since my window of opportunity is fairly narrow in terms of dates. My wife will be a passenger. I have come across http://www.gotournz.com/
and I am wondering if anyone has experience with this company in terms of bike rentals and setting up an itinerary and if you recommend them. Also open to any suggestions you might have.
Thanks in advance
Steve and Jeannie

My wife and I spent three weeks touring with John Fitzwater just over a year ago - a guided motorcycle tour. This guy is great. He knows the roads, the places to stay, the things not to be missed. He has a variety of bikes - all in great shape. I have no hesitation in recommending him for bike rental, booking of accommodation, and suggestions of routes. He may not be the cheapest, but he may be the best. Your only regret will be your limited time.

MOST NZ roads are very curvy, including the main highways. Don't expect to put on big miles on any given day. That advice you are paying for can give great dividends in pleasure! I also found NZ drivers just excellent - not slow, but considerate when you wanted to pass, and they NEVER cross over into your (left) lane.

This is quite possibly the greatest country in the world to ride a motorcycle. The paved roads (except where they have been torn up for repair - and that can be scary!) are just superb. No potholes or patches. And on the backroads, almost no traffic. Get there if you can.

If not too late, I'd highly recommend South Pacific Motorcycle Tours. Mike Lester and his wife are very accommodating and keep a nice collection of new model bikes all highly maintained. http://motorbiketours.co.nz/

We did a self tour and loved it. Depending on time, I'd make the south island the priority. Mikes bikes have powered mounts for Zumo if you want to plan your routes and bring a Zumo from home.

Feel free to PM me if wanting more info.

Attachments

• swmoto.jpg
    swmoto.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 42
I would echo RTRandy's suggestion that for a one week tour you confine yourself to the south island. (You will by no means "see it all" - I certainly didn't in two weeks - but you will see a greater variety of landscapes, I believe, than on the north island.) What all of us that have been there would like is something like a FOUR MONTH tour.

Since this is such a great country to ride motorcycles, it would be surprising if there were not several individuals (enterprises) which cater to out-of-country riders. You now have recommendations from two satisfied customers for two different companies. If you haven't yet booked, by all means compare what they have to offer. Could well be that either choice (or maybe a different one not yet mentioned) will ALL offer you a very rewarding experience.

Back