• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adding OEM TPM to R1200GS

Additionally the mounting strap was too short for a 19ÔÇØ wheel, but thatÔÇÖs easily remedied. Tightening down the strap would have damaged the sensor, plus running tires at a low pressure off-road would likely have caused damage to the sensor since it would not be protected within the channel.

After sending quick e-mail to Michael Huang and Hannah Whittle at Mobiletron they quickly acknowledged that the internal sensor would not work and volunteered to send me an external sensor at no extra charge. That was last week and the new sensor arrived yesterday.

Meanwhile, Gary McLeod helped me replace my rubber valve stem with a steel one that could handle the added stress of the external sensor during high speed rotations.

So, although I had hoped to mount the sensors internally, I am very pleased with the outcome, and would highly recommend the Mobiletron TPMS. The workmanship on this unit is very high quality, the installation was straight forward, and the customer service is amazing.

HereÔÇÖs the final result.

Attachments

• 2011-06-24 12.56.15.jpg
    2011-06-24 12.56.15.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 122
Mobiletron Head Unit

Mobiletron head unit showing all readings working properly.

(Sorry for the multiple posts. It seems I can only upload one photo per post.)

Attachments

• 2011-06-24 12.57.14.jpg
    2011-06-24 12.57.14.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 121
Any updates? 2007 R1200GS

I'm about to replace the tires on my 2007 R1200GS and am looking to add TPMS. Mobiltron tell me that an MC Cycles in New Jersey is their US distributor, and I've sent them an email. Also, interally mounting the Doran units seems feasible (though it doesn't appear they report temperature also). Any other recent good or bitter experiences with aftermarket TPMS?

Happy With Mobiltron

I've had the Mobiltron on my R12GS for about a year and a half and am very pleased. The rear sensor is internal, but I had to opt for the valve stem sensor In front since the channel in the rim is too narrow to receive the internal sensor. I installed a stainless steel valve stem to handle the added forces caused by the rotating weight. The head unit mounts very nicely next to the stock instrument panel. I get both pressure and temp readings from the front and rear, so I'm puzzled by your statement that the internal sensor doesn't give a temperature signal. I just replaced the battery in the front sensor for the first time since installation. The rear battery is still original and is working fine. I hope that helps.

I'm puzzled by your statement that the internal sensor doesn't give a temperature signal.

Thanks, Ken - I meant that (best I can tell), the Doran units, which can be mounted inside or out, don't appear to transmit temp data.

Currently, there doesn't seem to be a US seller who stocks the Mobiltron & It looks as if the units could be purchased from the UK, though via a bank draft rather than credit card.

Might go with the Doran units which get good reviews. I'd like to have temp, but generally temp increases are going to happen if the tires are low, so you'll know that already. A slight increase in pressure could serve as an indicator that the cold tires are getting up to operating temperature, right?

TPM alternative

I haven't bought them yet but my 2012 GSA doesn't have the TPM either and I am going to try valve stem caps with tire pressure monitors built in.
Just google valve stem caps with tire pressure monitors. There are different sources for them and they don't cost but $12 to 15. It's worth a try anyway.
Robb

For what it's worth I upgraded my 2008 R1200GSA (with TPMS) to add the BMW theft alarm. I purchased the parts from the dealer and then found out that the theft alarm is combined in the same unit with the TPMS. I did some negotiation with the dealer (because they had messed up on another issue) and they agreed to do the install for free. I was a good thing as it took a number of phone calls to Germany to sort out the enabling codes to get the bike to accept the new combined Theft Alarm/TPMS unit. It was also a good thing that they offered to store the bike over the winter for free if I agreed to wait for the winter to have the work done. I think it took them three weeks of trial, error and phone call to get the job done. Although this is not the exact same scenario as you are working with it did require making a new TPMS box (with theft alarm) work with the rest of the CAN controllers and the old TPMS tire sensors. I now have a TPMS and Theft alarm equipped bike and a spare TPMS controller in my parts bin.

Back