• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

TPM Issue on 2009 R1200GS

shurlbut

Has anyone else encountered an issue with a faulty or inaccurate TPM on their GS? When I inflate the bike tires to normal one-person riding pressures, the TPM monitor flashes a warning signal and disrupts my computer display even though I'm still several PSI over the warning limit. I've gotten around it by keeping the bike tire inflated at 2-person riding PSI levels but am not happy about having to do this. Also, the stock tires do seem to lose air more quickly than other stock tires I've had on all my other bikes.

The dealer really hasn't addressed the TPM issue. He inflated the tires to the 2-up riding levels and called it a day. He also noted (in writing) on my work order that is wasn't uncommon for tire pressures to vary by 2-3 PSI per week.

I've ridden bikes for well over 20 years and have never had such a problem with tire pressure before. The dealer also claims that its due to the soft compound in the tires.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of situation on their GS?? Any ideas would be appreciated.

I think the dealer is being disengenuous.. :dance

Question - are you reading the pressure with a hand-gauge, or relying on the TPM?

The reason I ask - the TPM is temperature compensated. If you fill the tire at a low temperature, you need to put in less MEASURED pressure (measured with a hand gauge) then is shown on the TPM. Opposite on a hot tire. Doesn't make a lot of sense except the actual pressure (which aftermarket TPMS typically show) can change 4PSI+/- between COLD-NORMAL-HOT tires, for a total difference of about 8PSI (really!).. IF the TPM expects say 40PSI at 70F tire temperature, filling it to actual 40PSI (indicated on your hand-gauge) on a hot tire will result in an underinflated tire. Filling it to an actual 40PSI on a cold tire will result in an overinflated tire.

The upside of the temperature compensation is that it keeps a constant number in front of the rider so they don't have to worry about temperature correction. The downside is - it's not the actual pressure, it's the pressure it would be filled to at 72F (20C..)

Oh - the perceived loss of air - is often caused by checking it. I can easily lose 2-3PSI checking mine with a hand-gauge.

TPM issue

Question - are you reading the pressure with a hand-gauge, or relying on the TPM?

I've been checking it with a hand gauge and trying to make correlations to what the TPM is saying. It's very annoying having the tires at the correct pressure only to have the TPM "takeover" the computer display and flash warnings all the time.

I still think its defective....

Back