• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Acronym help needed

leadfoot

Ok, I have been a member for about 20 months now. While I am fairly computer savvy, and have enjoyed getting involved in answering and asking questions, I have an area that I am a bit weak in........Acronyms.

You see, I do not have a large knowledge base of acronyms. And I usually give up when trying to figure some of them out. :banghead

How about a listing of acronyms for us guys that are a bit behind the curve?:scratch

Any help is appreciated,
Jim

Jim, I thought about your request and it's difficult to seperate acronyms out of everyday language.

What might be easier would be to just use this post as a basepoint, and when you have a question (or anyone else for that matter), ask it in this thread.

I'll bet after awhile it would make up a pretty good list as you requested before!

One which stumped me for a couple of days was ATGATT which you see often.
(All the gear-All the time)
OP- original post or poster
IMO- in my opinion
IMHO- in my humble opinion

Thanks for the info all.....I think I can take it from here.

I have treated them as teasers, and got most of them.

I guess the one that finally perplexed me to write was YMMV......got it now!:dance

BMW: Bob and Mary Weber ...... no.... really :ha I worked in the world of acronyms with gov't for quite a few years but the stuff around here is about the worst I've ever seen:wave - Bob

BMW: Bob and Mary Weber ...... no.... really :ha I worked in the world of acronyms with gov't for quite a few years but the stuff around here is about the worst I've ever seen:wave - Bob

LOL....I agree with that. I spent 06 to 07 in Iraq, and I thought the acronyms over there were were tough to figure out. The Army in it's infinite wisdon seemed to have an acronym for everything.

I am getting the hang here, but sometimes I get thrown for a pretty good loop.:scratch

How the get started.......

I had a First Sergeant that had once been an enlisted aide to the Secretary of the Army. A new Secretary took office and he had little prior experience with the Army. He was confused by the many acronyms so he told my First Sergeant to give him a daily list of five acronyms to learn. The first acronym on the first list was: "LOA = List of Acronyms." When questioned by the Secretary about the entry, my First Sergeant said. ÔÇ£I also wanted you to learn how they get started.ÔÇØ

Maybe we should take a lesson from the Germans, just make big words out of littler ones....

Herzkreislaufwiederbelebung (heart-circle-run-again-enlivenment) = C.P.R.

Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung = speed limit

Geschwindigkeits??berschreitung = speeding (noun)

Hoechsgeschwindigkeitsbegrenzung = maximum speed limit

Gep?ñckaufbewahrungsschein (luggage-up-hold-certificate) = luggage check ticket

Hubschrauberlandeplatz = helicopter landing pad

SNAFU = situation normal all fouled up

TARFU = things are really fouled up

FUBAR = fouled up beyond all recognition

FIIGFAB = forget it I'm going for a beer

The one for going to the shop or parts counter. BOHICA = bend over here it comes again

Acronym

Generally in good technical writing the acronym is spelled out the first time it appears and then used for the rest of the article. The problem of confusion come up when someone new tries to get involved. People that have been active in the discussion for a long period know that the rest of the group already know the gist of what's being talked about. There is the exception for the people that try to buzz-word you to death as a way to appear intelligent. The use of the many acronyms gives me fits also. :violin

Back