• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Acceleration!!!

Anybody ever see Art Arfron's Green Monster in action?Green Valley Raceway 1967.They announced that you would be stone deaf for three days after seeing the run.Nobody left-and me and my buddies were deaf until Wednesday after the races. They go faster now,but what a show to see a Crusader jet engine on afterburner run the strip. Made in America.

about 1984-1985 I saw the green monster, I was 13. It was my first experience with seeing, hearing and feeling an afterburner. Sweeeett!

I'm with Josh on this. Yes, drags are thrilling, but a number of the "facts" presented here just aren't correct. Commonly repeated, yes...but wrong. For example:

Current state of the art for a blown NHRA Hemi is about 2000 hp.

A current NASCAR motor produces something more than 750hp. The Daytona grid has 2 cars/row, so four rows have 8 cars. 8 x 750 = 6000.

True, but meaningless: the dragster's fuel contains vastly more potential energy.

Only true for slow readers.

I'm afraid that this means that some statistic got garbled, and has since been copied without comprehension.

Grump.

Actually a state of the art fuel hemi does produce over 6000 horsepower, not counting the over 700 horsepower needed to turn the blower.

Math is fun. 9500 Revolutions per MINUTE is 158 revloutions per second, for a 3.5 second run that is 555 revloutions total plus maybe 2 seconds for burnouts, no more than 800 revloutions under load, if you add in 2 minutes for warmup, starting, etc at 1,500 RPM idle that is less than 4,000 revolutions TOTAL before rebuild is necessary. BY contrast my van, at about 30 revolutions per mile , in its 200K miles has turned over a minimum of 6,000,000 revolutions with only a spark plug change and oil changes pretty impressive in its own way.

Rod

I'm with Josh on this. Yes, drags are thrilling, but a number of the "facts" presented here just aren't correct. Commonly repeated, yes...but wrong. For example:

Current state of the art for a blown NHRA Hemi is about 2000 hp.

A current NASCAR motor produces something more than 750hp. The Daytona grid has 2 cars/row, so four rows have 8 cars. 8 x 750 = 6000.

Grump.

dbrick:

For some one so critical of the facts, it would be nice if you got yours right.

NASCAR routinely states that the Sprint Cup restrictor plate reduces engine power from approximately 750 hp to approximately 430 hp.

Current Top Fuel cars make around 6000 horsepower. Nascar engines at Daytona make around 430 horsepower (remember restrictor plates?).

That would mean that the statement from K&N IS incorrect. Actually a Top Fuel car makes more horsepower than the first SEVEN rows (14 cars) at Daytona.

Did you spot any more that you'd like us to clarify for you?

:dance:dance:dance

True, but meaningless: the dragster's fuel contains vastly more potential energy.

the fuel has more potential "energy" but this has nothing to do with the dragster.

the 747-400, with the (4) PW-4060s @ 62,000lb ea is producing (and trying to convert hp to lb/thrust is a real pain) somewhere in the region of 200,000 hp at full throttle, so lets knock it down to even 50 percent and those engines are doing a lot more with that gallon and a half. but, we have to remember, this is static thrust, so that all changes with a moving aircraft.

here's a kinda interesting discussion on the whole subject, so many variables involved, i stick up for jet aircraft cause i like them better than dragsters.:laugh

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/14154/

Only here can enthusiasm for a form of racing bring out such expertise:rolleyes

I don't know about everyone else; but I'd rather spend a day at the dragstrip than the airport.

:burnout

Only here can enthusiasm for a form of racing bring out such expertise:rolleyes

I don't know about everyone else; but I'd rather spend a day at the dragstrip than a Fly In.

:burnout

Fixt somewhat. I would like to see both, I am greedy that way.

Back