• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Acceleration!!!

98lee

3 Red Bricks
Staff member
I was sent this. It came off of K&B Pistons web site. It really puts a whole new perspective on horsepower!

ACCELERATION
>
> 'DEFINITION OF ACCELERATION' (courtesy of KB Performance Pistons)
>
>
> One top fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes
> more
> horsepower than the first 4 rows of stock cars at the
> Daytona 500.
>
> It takes just 15/100ths of a second for all 6,000+
> horsepower of an NHRA Top Fuel dragster engine to reach
> the
> rear wheels.
>
> Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2
> gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747
> consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy
> being produced.
>
> A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power
> to
> drive the dragster's supercharger.
>
> With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger
> on
> overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a
> near-solid
> form before ignition.
>
> Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full
> throttle.
>
> At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and
> technology by which quantities of reactants and products
> in
> chemical reactions are determined) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture
> of
> nitro methane, the flame front temperature measures 7,050
> deg F.
>
> Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame
> seen
> above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen,
> dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing
> exhaust gases.
>
> Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is
> the
> output of an arc welder in each cylinder.
>
> Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass.
> After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression,
> plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1,400 deg F. The engine
> can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.
>
> If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned
> nitro
> builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with
> sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in
> pieces or split the block in half.
>
>
>
> In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must
> accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200
> mph (well before half-track), the launch acceleration
> approaches 8G's .
>
>
>
> Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have
> completed reading this sentence
>
>
>
> Top fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from
> light to light! Including the burnout, the engine must
> only
> survive 900 revolutions under load .
>
>
>
> The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm.
>
>
>
> Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew is
> working
> for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an
> estimate $1,000.00 per second.
>
>
>
> The current top fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.428
> seconds for the quarter mile (11/12/06, Tony Schumacher,
> at
> Pomona, CA). The top speed record is 336.15 mph as
> measured
> over the last 66' of the run (05/25/05 Tony Schumacher, at
> Hebron, OH).
>
>
>
> Putting all of this into perspective: You
> are driving the
> average $140,000 Lingenfelter 'twin-turbo' powered
> Corvette
> Z06. Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster is
> staged
> and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass.
> You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the
> 'Vette
> hard up through the gears and blast across the starting
> line
> and pass the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree'
> goes
> green for both of you at that moment. The dragster
> launches
> and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but
> you
> hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums
> and
> within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He
> beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from
> where
> you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing
> start,
> the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught,
> but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you
> within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.
>
>
> ... and that my friend, is ACCELERATION!

:dance:dance:dance

And that is why Top fuel and Funny Cars get a complete engine tear down between runs. It is incredible. I remember when Don Garlits and Swamp Rat ran at Carlisle AR. 185 mph in the 1/4 back around 1968 or 69. I remember when they said 200mph 1/4 mile will never be reached. 300mph in a 1000 ft now.

Ralph Sims

I grew up near a dragstrip in the '70's. Anybody remember Don "The Snake" Purdomme? "Big Daddy" Don Garlits? Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney? The Little Red Wagon???

Those folks were standing still compared to what they can do now! Incredible!

I grew up near a dragstrip in the '70's. Anybody remember Don "The Snake" Purdomme? "Big Daddy" Don Garlits? Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney? The Little Red Wagon???

Little Red Wagon would wheelie the entire 1/4.

I wonder if the old drivers were better. It seems like the "tune up" has more to do today than the drivers. Getting the clutch set seems to be the main thing. Today's Pro Stock with 6 second times and 200 mph rarely spin the tires and their races are won by fender lengths, like the old fuelers.

Ralph Sims

Shirley Muldowney may be standing with a bit of a list, as her foot was cut off by an exploding engine. (and later reinstalled)

The early top fuel dragsters, rails, had the engines in front of the driver (pilot?) with the transmission between their feet. Disasters like Shirley's inspired the relocation of that bomb to behind the driver.

Don't forget Dandy Dick Landy

That's why we love drag racing!

It was Don "Big Daddy" Garlits who nearly lost a foot and popularized the move from "slingshots" to rear-engine dragsters. Shirley got burnt during her funny car days.

Attachments

• ts%20brought%20his%20futuristic%20fueler%20to%20the%20Gatornationals%20and%20sits%20on%20the%20b.jpg
    ts%20brought%20his%20futuristic%20fueler%20to%20the%20Gatornationals%20and%20sits%20on%20the%20b.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 211
Now imagine sitting here:

Attachments

• Don%20Garlits'%20Wynnscharger%20front%20engine%20dragster_%20Photo%20from%20the%20Drag%20Racing%.jpg
    Don%20Garlits'%20Wynnscharger%20front%20engine%20dragster_%20Photo%20from%20the%20Drag%20Racing%.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 212
Hey all; Thanks for the memories!! Used to go to Martin US131 dragstip almost every week-end when I was younger. Still remember the smell of burnt rubber and nitro... My brother runs a pair of nostalgia fuelers at the "Good guys events around the midwest. I got to set in one of them while he fired it up... Just setting there ("Hold the clutch in and the brake on... HARD!! Please!!!") while he turned the motor over with a remote starter was enough to give you the rush of a life time!! There is a funny car and fueler show at Martin coming up... I think I might try to make it. If you haven't seen these cars run, you should. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

How about comparing that to the Apollo Saturn V 1st stage. 160,000,000 hp, that is 22,857 top fuel dragsters EACH putting out 7000 HP.

Gilly

Drag Racing

I used to go to Lions Drag Strip in Long Beach, California on Saturday nights in the
60's and eary 70's. We never thought we would ever see 200mph in a quarter
mile. Reading that they are now up to 330mph is hard to imagine, Where will it end? There must be a mechanical limit at some point as to how fast a car can go
in a quarter mile.

This is fun!!!

Once heard an old racer say "If you don't burn at least three pistons it was a bad run"....

A few years back I took my older brother to a national event. The last time he had been to a national was Indy in 1963. I told him "wait until you see a fueler make a pass". After the first pass I turned and looked at him and his mouth was hanging wide open in awe. It's something you have to experience because if your not there you just can't comprehend the increadible assault on your senses.

> being produced.

every time i see this quote posted on a mc board, i call bs on this one

every time i see this quote posted on a mc board, i call bs on this one

While some of it may be true, I also find some of it not being accurate at all. For example, the claim that hydrogen is being burned over the exhaust stack as it's being magically separated from water vapor in the air. The Earth's atmosphere is about 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen. The remaining 1% is "other", including water vapor and other gasses (these concentrations can change slightly, which I'm getting to). You need a 4% concentration of hydrogen for it to burn in air. Even at ridiculous humidity levels (theoretical 100% humidity at 30 degrees Celsius), you still only have 2.8% water vapor in the air. That gives more hydrogen available, but it's still well under the 4% required for it to ignite.

So?

Anybody ever see Art Arfron's Green Monster in action?Green Valley Raceway 1967.They announced that you would be stone deaf for three days after seeing the run.Nobody left-and me and my buddies were deaf until Wednesday after the races. They go faster now,but what a show to see a Crusader jet engine on afterburner run the strip. Made in America.

Anybody ever see Art Arfron's Green Monster in action?Green Valley Raceway 1967.They announced that you would be stone deaf for three days after seeing the run.Nobody left-and me and my buddies were deaf until Wednesday after the races. They go faster now,but what a show to see a Crusader jet engine on afterburner run the strip. Made in America.

I saw it in Carlisle AR around 68 or 69. I remember the PA announcer asked for all the cars staged behind to move them. One guy did not and his paint was never the same. Seems like it ran around 200 mph, but that was a long time ago.

Ralph Sims

My dad took his three young hooligan sons to Houston International on I-45 (before it moved to Baytown). I remember the build up of the Green Monster as all the big kids were talking about it and looking at pics in the HotRod magazine , also the lil' red wagon doing a wheelie and lots of rails and FIRE! Had to have the Aurora scale models the next week to glue together... somewhere around 1968 it seems ...ahh good ol times...and slow compared to nowadays it seems. We went a few years and can remember no hearing come Monday! :ear:laugh:laugh:laugh

I'm with Josh on this. Yes, drags are thrilling, but a number of the "facts" presented here just aren't correct. Commonly repeated, yes...but wrong. For example:

> One top fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes
> more horsepower than the first 4 rows of stock cars at the
> Daytona 500.

Current state of the art for a blown NHRA Hemi is about 2000 hp.

A current NASCAR motor produces something more than 750hp. The Daytona grid has 2 cars/row, so four rows have 8 cars. 8 x 750 = 6000.

> being produced.

True, but meaningless: the dragster's fuel contains vastly more potential energy.

> Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have
> completed reading this sentence

Only true for slow readers.

> Top fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from
> light to light! Including the burnout, the engine must
> only survive 900 revolutions under load .

I'm afraid that this means that some statistic got garbled, and has since been copied without comprehension.

Grump.

Back