• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A quick ride on Memorial Day Sunday, 70 years in the making.

rangerreece

RangerReece
As a child I was the test pilot for the minibikes that dad would build, restore, pull together. As an Air Force mechanic, dad would often supplement his income by building or restoring small engine devices mostly lawn mowers but the occasional mini bike and motorcycle. As soon as the minibike was in good running order, cleaned up and painted, dad would have to sell it. Mom and Dad were always heavily involved in motorcycles, up until I became a teenager. Mom had quit riding for quite some time and dad finally parked the burgundy Honda silver wing but not before one last ride together with me on the back, just like I did when I was 5 back in England when my dad was stationed in Bentwaters AFB after the Vietnam.

So when I got out of the Army after 22 years and bought my first bike "Ursula the 2005 R1200RT" from Bill Maxwell, life time BMW MOA member, who new my Dad in the Air Force and was inspired by him and that silver wing to take up riding, my dad had not been on a bike since the early '80's. The thought of riding with my dad never really crossed my mind. Dad underwent brain surgery two years ago to remove a tumor on his putitary gland that almost killed him and gave him the symptoms of dementia. As he recovered from his surgery he would get a gleam in his eye when he would see me on Ursula. Low and behold, he bought a harley last year and then traded it in on a brand new 2015 harley dynaglide. He turned 70 in January, and work would not let me get away, finally a three day weekend on memorial smack in the middle of my UH-72 Lakota aircraft qualification course, I wasn't waiting anymore, it was time to act. All weekend we had great weather, Monday I rode home from TN to lower Alabama in torrential rains but it was worth it. (I was passed by a truck pulling two beemers probably coming from the chicken rally, an 1150GS and a R1200RT, you know you are, fess up, I know you feel guilty about trailering your bikes). So Ursula and I are finally dry, here are a few photos for your viewing pleasure.

View attachment 50040
View attachment 50041
View attachment 50042

It's great that you were able to make that happen. I am sure it meant as much to your father as it did to you. My son and I did a fathers day weekend ride together a few years ago. I t was one of my best rides ever.

Great story!

My Dad is also retired AF and I got to ride with him this weekend as well. Strangely enough, my Dad also now rides a Harley.:scratch Glad you guys had a good time even if it was decades in the making.

So kinda funny story, were in Lawrencburge TN getting gas and bubba asks dad what kind of gas mileage his bike gets (the typical gas station question) Dad says about 45mpg and then says, "But his bike gets better gas mileage." To which bubba responds, "yeah, but his bike isn't as cool as yours." I was doubled over in laughter on the inside because bubba was right. If you could put "cool" in a can it would be liquid Harley Davidson, they marketed the cool aspect of their bike decades ago, and frankly, no one markets cool like HD.

Last edited:
So kinda funny story, were in lawrencburge TN getting gas and bubba asks dad what kind of gas mileage his bike gets (the typical gas station question) Dad says about 45mpg and then says, "But his bike gets better gas mileage." To which bubba responds, "yeah, but his bike isn't as cool as yours." I was doubled over in laughter on the inside because bubba was right. If you could put "cool" in a can it would be liquid Harley Davidson, they marketed the cool aspect of their bike decades ago, and frankly, no one markets cool like HD.

So true, HD has got the "cool" factor covered.:) No amount of performance, whiz bang technology from any other brand matters. Is your dad's bike the switchback model?

So true, HD has got the "cool" factor covered.:) No amount of performance, whiz bang technology from any other brand matters. Is your dad's bike the switchback model?

I think that's it, the switchback, the owners manual has dynaglide printed on the cover, so, I can't remember if switchback is right. I think that's what he called it months ago when he was shopping for the bike.

View attachment 50054

A picture of the old master looking fondly on his new ride from a couple of months ago, right after he bought it. I think it had about 7 miles on her in this shot. When I saw the look on his face in this picture, I knew I needed to go riding with dad.

Yeah the Dyna is their midsize frame with two shocks. The other midsize is the softail which has a hidden suspension and is designed to look like a hard tail frame. That switchback is one cool looking motorcycle.
Since my Dad has become a Harley nut, I get free lessons in Harley history and bike design every time I visit:)

Yeah the Dyna is their midsize frame with two shocks. The other midsize is the softail which has a hidden suspension and is designed to look like a hard tail frame. That switchback is one cool looking motorcycle.
Since my Dad has become a Harley nut, I get free lessons in Harley history and bike design every time I visit:)

Yeah man thanks for schooling me. I'm trying to get up to speed on the Harley models too.

How does he get the bike over the ledge in the door opening? Or are my eyes deceiving me?

The board is removable, I'm not sure why he said he had it there, I think as a backstop or maybe to keep the rats out. My parents live wayyyyyy out in the country. This weekend I never saw that board, so with my dad, really no telling.

Back