• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Little Worried

So, lots of people jumping on the band wagon saying be scared. Don't worry be happy. Have AAA or MOA road side assistance stuff if you're actually worried I ride mine hard commuting between Indiana and Washington DC.

Agree. Just don't own it after the warranty expires! :stick

Unless someone is able to do their own major repairs or has the unlimited funds to just let a dealer do it all, it's maybe a good idea to get a new bike every three years when you think about the 4K clutch and 2K final drive jobs.

Unless someone is able to do their own major repairs or has the unlimited funds to just let a dealer do it all, it's maybe a good idea to get a new bike every three years when you think about the 4K clutch and 2K final drive jobs.

Agreed, sorry to say. If I didn't do almost all the mechanical work myself there is no way we could afford for Voni and I to stay on the road.

WoW, most vehicles nowadays are not designed for their owners to work on them. I think it's some of the Mercedes don't have a dipstick :scratch Come to think of it, most of the boilers (condensing- high efficiency style) aren't made for someone to work on without a laptop.........and the old ones I could get running with an extension cord and a paperclip. Still people buy vehicles and like heat and hot water so- don't be afraid, buy something you like, realize it's mechanical and sooner or later something needs to be fixed. No one from an individual to a corporation is immune to this and on a new product, there will be some R&D blues.
The BMW line of vehicles are generally known as "high performance" and with that comes a different operational parameter than say, my first car, which had a slant-6.
BMW must have some faith or they wouldn't have a 3 year warranty.
OM

Hello everyone,

New member here in the MOA and these boards.
I bought a slightly used K1600gt last year with 2500 mi on it. I have since put over 6,000 mi on it, most of them not very friendly. Browsing around this forum, I get the impression that some people have had multiple mechanical issues with their bikes and are un-happy with both their bike and the support from bmw. I have had absolutely zero issues with my bike, other than I can't stay off of it and look for reasons to take the long way home. Should I be concerned before I take any long trips this summer? I have read the multiple reports of water pump and switch failures and I have started to wonder if I'm next. I absolutely love this bike and would love to hear from other riders who haven't had any of these issues.

Regards,
Tony

If it's under warranty, don't worry about it. If it's going to run out, look into an extended warranty if that gives you peace of mind. I have found that worrying is wasted time and it doesn't pay well either.

Last edited:
<Snip>
The BMW line of vehicles are generally known as "high performance" and with that comes a different operational parameter than say, my first car, which had a slant-6.
OM

Indeed, their unit sales are as good as ever. We can gripe but as long as we (and others) keep buying the vehicles they will continue to smile, and with good reason.

From my viewpoint I consider myself a great BMW supporter - but from their viewpoint I'm sure they would be happier if we didn't keep riding 300K mile motorcycles and got something new a bit sooner. :)

Agreed, sorry to say. If I didn't do almost all the mechanical work myself there is no way we could afford for Voni and I to stay on the road.

Hi Paul and Voni, Don Stanley here and I am at the Super 8 in El Paso, Texas bringing my 2012 BMW K1600GT back to my Arizona home in Metro Phoenix from Lone Star BMW.

Were your ears burning yesterday? As I rode the 600 miles from Austin to EP I had your listing in the BMW MOA Anonymous face up in the window of my RKA tank bag! Ha, ha!

Thought you might get a kick out of the cartoon that AZ Beemers Member Marla sent to me and posted up on our BMW MOA Club #89 website: I love my K16, but what a PITA!

Just walked out to the parking lot in my PJ's with a flashlight in my hand, no dreaded blue spots on the right side of my K16. Hopefully, this is now the "final solution" water pump!

K1600WaterPump.jpg

OM

Yes but it's only 36,000 miles. I have had my bike for a few days less than 7 months and have 19,439 miles on it. I did buy the extended warranty but that starts after the 36 month factory warranty expires.

I get so damn mad when my BMW K1600GT "Gisele Bundchen" breaks down and leaves me stranded a thousand miles plus from home (she's done it a couple of times!), but she is just so damn sweet and pretty when she is running right. Just put her in my Chandler garage after a 1,150 mile high speed blast from Austin, at 90 mph she's a dreamboat! Once again I've forgiven Gisele for breaking my heart, but if she does it one more time I'm going for an Austrian Fraulein - KTM!

just keep going

My first k1600 lasted 1 year. Blew the engine.... twice.... and the gearbox. I love the ride so Much I traded it for the same bike.... yes I bought another one..it rocks!!

It never left me stranded and BMW has worked with me the entire time. Just ride the ****ing thing. if it breaks... that is what the awesome warranty is for.
PS..Hermys Rules!

I don't know how you could have bought the same model - or brand even- after going through all the pain that you suffered with that first bike.

Since I started this thread, just a follow up on how my 1600 is causing me problems!

I don't know how you could have bought the same model - or brand even- after going through all the pain that you suffered with that first bike.

I'm truly suffering now from this bike.

1. I keep having to buy tires!

2. I keep having to buy gas!

3. I have way too many bugs and road grime on my expensive Klim products!

4. My wife , who doesn't like to ride, has started to call my bike, the other woman!

I'm truly suffering now from this bike.

1. I keep having to buy tires!
Run road pilots I get almost 5k out the rear and 7 from the front
2. I keep having to buy gas!

That's great means you are ridding

3. I have way too many bugs and road grime on my expensive Klim products!

S100

4. My wife , who doesn't like to ride, has started to call my bike, the other woman!

Get a new one

R1150R O2 sensor recall mod

Just had a recall performed and now (5 riding hours later) I smell something akin to clutch burn smell coming from under fuel tank. Do not suspect clutch, think it is related to work performed. Dealer closed today or I'd call them. Any ideas?
Bike runs good, 16k miles, bought new in 2003, never had any problem before.

Also, tagged onto this post because I have not been able to figure out how to start one (new to forum). Thanks.

I remember back in 2001 when I bought a brand new Ducati ST4. People told me it was going to break down and strand me, or it was going to cost so much to maintain. None of it was accurate in my case and in fact it required ZERO warranty work and has yet to break down or strand me. I love that Ducati.

I ride the K1600GT these days and the Ducati sits there and wonders why. The K1600GT has had the handlebar switches replaced under warranty, has not broken down, has not stranded me, and costs very little to maintain. The final drive might make it but knowing BMW that's suspect. Gas mileage is just under 50 mpg. It's smooth as silk and handles much better than a bike that size should.

I have zero complaints. When the three year warranty is about to expire I'll probably buy an extended warranty to protect myself. If I were riding an R1200RT or an R1200GS I'd do the same. These things are complex and any newer BMW will be expensive to repair.

It may not be a BMW you like, or want to own, but it's really nice and so far, so good.

OIL consumption

Hi All,
First off I love my blue 2013 KGT. Haven't noticed anything physically wrong other than the crunchy transmission which I am assured is typical for this model. I remember my K13 tranny was a little crunchy too. It only has ~2500 and it recently had its initial checkup at 750 miles and it's first oil change. At~2100 miles the Oil Alert light came on and I immediately stopped and checked it 30 times because I couldn't believe that it wasn't registering on the dip stick. :eek I topped it off and went directly to the dealer. They looked it over and confirmed that an oil alert code was thrown and I wasn't imagining it. They changed the oil out again, filled it up and on my way I went with instructions to check at my next destination which was 220 miles away. That destination revealed that it was nearly 3/4 of a quart low. I let her sit over night, checked again with no change. I warmed her up and then let her sit a few minutes... no change. I topper her off again and went 260 miles ( in one trip).
At my final destination it was only down about a 1/4 from where I had topped it off. Dealer wants to do some specific tests...:scratch anyone experiencing anything like this or have any idea what I might be in store for? BTW... no dripping or smoking noticed. This thing is so ridiculously fast that Im jacket flappin everywhere I go with a sh!t eatin grin so I haven't noticed if there is a deficit in HP.

Hi All,
First off I love my blue 2013 KGT. Haven't noticed anything physically wrong other than the crunchy transmission which I am assured is typical for this model. I remember my K13 tranny was a little crunchy too. It only has ~2500 and it recently had its initial checkup at 750 miles and it's first oil change. At~2100 miles the Oil Alert light came on and I immediately stopped and checked it 30 times because I couldn't believe that it wasn't registering on the dip stick. :eek I topped it off and went directly to the dealer. They looked it over and confirmed that an oil alert code was thrown and I wasn't imagining it. They changed the oil out again, filled it up and on my way I went with instructions to check at my next destination which was 220 miles away. That destination revealed that it was nearly 3/4 of a quart low. I let her sit over night, checked again with no change. I warmed her up and then let her sit a few minutes... no change. I topper her off again and went 260 miles ( in one trip).
At my final destination it was only down about a 1/4 from where I had topped it off. Dealer wants to do some specific tests...:scratch anyone experiencing anything like this or have any idea what I might be in store for? BTW... no dripping or smoking noticed. This thing is so ridiculously fast that Im jacket flappin everywhere I go with a sh!t eatin grin so I haven't noticed if there is a deficit in HP.

Question
Did you follow the BMW procedures, center stand, run till fan comes on, Waite a minute and check dipstick.
Using some oil with a new engine is normal, 3/4 a quart in 220 miles is excessive.

Back