• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Little Worried

jubalhorse

Hello everyone,

New member here in the MOA and these boards.
I bought a slightly used K1600gt last year with 2500 mi on it. I have since put over 6,000 mi on it, most of them not very friendly. Browsing around this forum, I get the impression that some people have had multiple mechanical issues with their bikes and are un-happy with both their bike and the support from bmw. I have had absolutely zero issues with my bike, other than I can't stay off of it and look for reasons to take the long way home. Should I be concerned before I take any long trips this summer? I have read the multiple reports of water pump and switch failures and I have started to wonder if I'm next. I absolutely love this bike and would love to hear from other riders who haven't had any of these issues.

Regards,
Tony

Welcome to the forum! Try to remember that, unfortunately, what brings people to the forum a lot of the time is a need to vent complaints. Fortunately, there has been a bit of a change that Members are starting to post some of the good experiences as well. In this months Best of Forum there is a good example of the members piling on a problem and getting things straighten out.
Enjoy the bike, you will be fine.
Gary

jubalhorse, you have good reason to be worried about your K1600. My 2012 BMW K1600GT was a preorder with all of the extra expense of all of the bells and whistles.

The last straw was the failure of the third water pump in Austin, Texas on Saturday, April 12; my bike is now on it's fourth water pump at only 21,500 miles, REALLY!

It has also had two left switch cluster failures and a total catastrophic break down of the ESA, it is fun to ride and a beauty to look at: It is the Dumb Blonde of Motos!

However Omega Man does make a good point, your Fellow BMW Owners are some of the nicest people in the world; always going out of their way to help others:

We sure have some wonderful people as Members of AZ Beemers, BMW MOA and K1600 Forum! Steve "tecman" Bleck?.. picked up my BMW K16GT from Lone Star in Austin, Texas and moved it to his home for safe keeping after they installed the fourth water pump. He's meeting me at Austin Airport at Noon on Monday, then I ride back home to Arizona! Please Note: Steve is also a Member of the Texas Hill Country BMW Riders Club! Steve, Many Thanks!

get-attachmentaspx-45.jpeg

Hello everyone,

New member here in the MOA and these boards...................... I have had absolutely zero issues with my bike, other than I can't stay off of it and look for reasons to take the long way home. Should I be concerned before I take any long trips this summer? .
Regards,
Tony

Ride it like you stole it, and don't worry. As stated, people NEVER hesitate to complain, but frequently are having too much fun and don't want "downer Dan" to argue with then when they extol the wonderful piece of machinery they own. Anything mechanical can break, but for every complaint you hear there are 100+ people that never had an issue.

My only worry when I travel, is will my tires last long enough to get me home, the answer is generally barely.

Ride it like you stole it, and don't worry. As stated, people NEVER hesitate to complain, but frequently are having too much fun and don't want "downer Dan" to argue with then when they extol the wonderful piece of machinery they own. Anything mechanical can break, but for every complaint you hear there are 100+ people that never had an issue.

My only worry when I travel, is will my tires last long enough to get me home, the answer is generally barely.

Except jubalhorse if you are traveling with a K1600GT then I highly recommend you travel with a new number water pump in your saddlebag, unless you enjoy being stranded over 1K miles from your home on two separate occasions! http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=39018

Took THREE full years for BMW to eventually come up with a "final solution", but new water pump does seem to work this time! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Did they put in the same pump, or is there a new design?

Don's paperwork from Lone Star BMW shows Part Number 11 51 8 544 999 (new pump). The old pump was 11 51 7 721 959.

From Steve B. - tecman

Last edited:
I will agree it sucks that 100% of YOUR GT1600's have had water pump leaks, that is how all failures go, 100% of the bad ones fail. But I bet that BMW sold a lot more than one, and when you dilute the 100% failure with the 100% non failure bikes, My guess is, it is a low probability, as I said, don't sweat it.

In a little research, seems that those that 'failed" just seeped, and your pic above it looks like seepage too. Was this the extent, or did they leak bad enough that it left puddles? If it was just minor seepage, again I wouldn't spend 10 minutes worrying about it on a trip.

I will agree it sucks that 100% of YOUR GT1600's have had water pump leaks, that is how all failures go, 100% of the bad ones fail. But I bet that BMW sold a lot more than one, and when you dilute the 100% failure with the 100% non failure bikes, My guess is, it is a low probability, as I said, don't sweat it.

In a little research, seems that those that 'failed" just seeped, and your pic above it looks like seepage too. Was this the extent, or did they leak bad enough that it left puddles? If it was just minor seepage, again I wouldn't spend 10 minutes worrying about it on a trip.

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-tech-performance-chat/5635-water-pump.html

pffog, do you want to know what 100% looks like? These pictures below illustrate 100%, all eight of AZ Beemer #89 K1600's have had at least one water pump failure! 100%, with mine having four! My last water pump failure was catastrophic, I fly out on Southwest on Monday AM to recover my bike from Austin, TX!

DSCF0298.jpg

DSCF0297.jpg

DSCF0299.jpg

DSCF0300.jpg

Last edited:
Water pumps do not involve rocket science.
There are two main points of failure on a water pump. And one is an easy fix.
Does anyone know what is the aspect, the part, the location of the 'failure' on these water pumps?
If it is the 'seal', which seal?
dc

Water pumps do not involve rocket science.
There are two main points of failure on a water pump. And one is an easy fix.
Does anyone know what is the aspect, the part, the location of the 'failure' on these water pumps?
If it is the 'seal', which seal?
dc

Off Topic: http://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=4603.0 David13, very good to hear from you mi Hermano! Wanted you to know a number of we AZ Beemers are riding to Real de Catorce and Huasteca/Potosina next April, you are warmly invited to join us AZB riding Mexico! Mas Caminos y mas Amigos!

On Topic: BMW Motorrad and BMWNA have been extremely tight lipped about exactly what is failing, when they change out your defective water pump you absolutely do not get it back or an opportunity to examine it. Just like the many final drive failure that have occurred, they immediately get whisked away to Deutschland ASAP ese!

Hello everyone,

I bought a slightly used K1600gt last year with 2500 mi on it. I have since put over 6,000 mi on it, most of them not very friendly. Browsing around this forum, I get the impression that some people have had multiple mechanical issues with their bikes and are un-happy with both their bike and the support from bmw. I have had absolutely zero issues with my bike, other than I can't stay off of it and look for reasons to take the long way home. Should I be concerned before I take any long trips this summer? I have read the multiple reports of water pump and switch failures and I have started to wonder if I'm next. I absolutely love this bike and would love to hear from other riders who haven't had any of these issues.

Regards,
Tony

Fwiw -approaching 30k of glorious miles on my pre-order K1600. I'm on my third water pump bur rode thousands (3-5) before each was replaced without having to add any fluid, my third just added last week. I ride the bike from 18f - 110f and it's never left me stranded anywhere.

I did have the left and right switch gear replaced too (under warranty). In each case I lost the function of a button after it sat in the hot sun for an extended period. Not a single issue with new switchgear.

Go ride your bike and if your not smiling every time you park it then think about a new bike. :). (Fwiw you hear same horror stories on Harley forums and I rode the wheels off of mine with nary a problem other than a failed battery)

Have a good one,
Dave

No way would I consider a 1600. Especially a used one. BMW really screwed things up with that one. Even if things have settled down by now, it's been years of aggravation for the owners. Some have had catastrophic failures on the highways and interstates and almost got run down before they could pull over. Buy a 1200RT, it does everything the 1600 can do without the drama. Just my opinion. I've owned about 7 BMWs.

It's a Forum website. A place to complain or say how wonderful your bike is assured somebody is listening/reading.
Any forum, any bike, any brand= same thing.

Can you imagine the Chevy Cobalt forum if there is one?

It's easy to get discouraged when you read of the bad experiences that others have had or are having with their bikes... The best that you can do is ride it like you stole it, be prepared and for Pete's sake, don't worry about problem that your bike doesn't appear to have at this moment. Fretting over something that doesn't exist gets in the way of enjoying your rides. I learned that the hard way...

I own an 2005 1200RT with 81K+ miles on the clock. I bought it with 2K from a lad that was inseam challenged. Except for a dead battery, (arguably my fault), the bike has never left me stranded. However, short of carrying a final drive with me, I had with me...all of the tools-all of the time. Some 80,000 later, I am happy to say that I never once needed any of it, other than the tire plug kit & pump. Over the years, I've heard a great deal of complaining about BMW bikes, BMW engineers, BMW shops, BMWUSA etc. The point here is that you can either take all of this information to heart and desperately worry about the next new problem that you will "surely" have with your bike or, you can make note of it, be ready for it and still enjoy yourself while you ride the snot out of your bike.

I also own a 2013 K1600GT, This bike was purchased used from Sandia BMW in ABQ, NM (great folks to do business with). Did I but this bike without knowing about the water pump? (no) Did I but this bike without knowing about the left hand cluster gremlins? (no) Did I buy this bike without knowing about [insert your favorite new fault here]. (Yes, but only because some would like you to believe that something new is wrong with this bike, everyday) WHY would I even buy a bike that was... according to some out there "prone" to all of these issues?

This bike came with its factory warranty and I purchased an extended warranty. The way I see it, I am prepared. I inspect the water pump for said leaks and proceed to ride the snot out of it. No worries. Its a fun machine....

cheers

Last edited:
As a society we have been/are being trained and conditioned to be afraid; afraid of almost everything. From home alarm system ads to detergent ads about "ring around the collar"; from the nightly local TV news about murders and burglaries; to national news about terrorists, coups, and kidnappings in the jungle; to disaster scenarios about our favorite motorcycles promulgated by unhappy people on internet forums and mailing lists.

You can choose to live your life afraid or you can choose not to. As for owning and riding a motorcycle, take care of it, give it all expected routine maintenance, get emergency roadside assistance that will get you to the nearest dealership from wherever you ride, and go have fun.

Hello everyone,

Regards,
Tony
I too bought a 1600 with 2000 miles on it, demo bike so it should have fallen apart instantly
12000 miles later, I realized it likes brake pads and really likes tires, has to do with my riding style
NO other issues, at all

Welcome to the forum. Things can go wrong with any product. I purchased my 2013 GTL brand spanking new about 9 months ago. I've got about 10,500 miles on her without a single issue. I've read quite a bit over the last year about the 1600s and some of the issues folks had with them, especially the pre-order bikes. Fortunately I haven't experienced any of those and I don't stress about it.

Buy a 1200RT, it does everything the 1600 can do without the drama.

While I appreciate all bikes (and opinions) I can't agree with this statement. The RT may be a great bike, but it doesn't have anywhere near the engine performance of the K1600 and I've had zero drama with my 2013 GTL.

Yes sir, totally agree, but I was talking mainly about the specs of the two bikes. HP, Torque, etc. Those things you can't argue with. 2 cylinders versus 6. From BMW's website:

RT K1600GTL
Capacity 1,170 cc 1,649 cc
Rated output 125 hp (92 kW) at 7,750 rpm 160 hp (118 kw) at 7,750 rpm
Max. torque 92 lb/ft (125 Nm) at 6,500 rpm 129 lb/ft (175 Nm) at 5,250 rpm

Back