• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A flat ,it finally happened

PineGreen

Went to pull the GT out of the barn to ride to work this morning and nogo. A flat rear tire. Thank goodness it went flat at home. This PM I pulled a 2 inch nail out of it. The hole is a several of inches left of center, so I picked it up in a curve. I have carried a patch kit around for years and finally got to use it. Crap!!!!!!! I have a Kit with sticky strings that you push through the hole and hopefully only pull parially out. Nogo. no matter what, they would not pull back out. I guess the steel in the tire would catch them and the insertion-extraction tool would rip through them. Don't ask how many are still inside the tire. Finallly I glued one up with the last bit of rubber glue and pushed it in about half way and stopped. Aired up tire and will check it out in AM. Question, if it holds air do you think it is safe to ride to dealer for a new tire. Ride is 40 miles, choice of interstate 81 or backroads. Plug is not in portion of tire that would be in contact with pavement except in a sharp left turn. Wife say to remove wheel and then procede. She is pretty smart, she married me. But my manhood is at stake . What do you think?:dunno

I think someone already made the wise choice. 50/50 of it holding and only you can make that call.

I have ridden repairs further, but if not sure, err on side of the wise ones wishes.
No Man Points deducted here:wave

Finallly I glued one up with the last bit of rubber glue and pushed it in about half way and stopped.
That's the way I have always done it. I've never tried to push through and then pull back out. With it about 1/2 way in, remove tool, trim with knife-good to go. Usually with steel belted tires I wreck the first attempt as I try to not ream out the hole any bigger but it helps on the second try. On back-hoe tires I've stacked in as many as 5 and they lasted the rest of the tires life. This thread in Best of Forum might help you. Gary

Hey there, 52.... I have set aside my manhood many times at the request of the wife and she was usually right too... this sounds like the right time to do that to me FWIW.

Best of luck.

better safe than sorry...i hate to say it but wives are usually right. a flat while riding at high speed could be an early grave or a trike for the rest of your riding days....not worth the risk.

The dealers I have dealt with charge less to mount a tire if you just bring in the wheel. That alone should answer the question.

Back